PDA

View Full Version : Passing of pen maker Gawdelpus John

dai sensei
11th May 2015, 09:34 PM
I'm so sorry to advise our "Gawdelpus" John passed away suddenly today of a massive heart attack. Wow, I was only speaking to him at Tamborne markets yesterday. All those that knew him would be well aware of his generosity to help others. He has helped me on endless occasions, not just on pens, but on my house and life in general. I will certainly miss him and I'm sure will too.

I'm heading over there tomorrow to see what I can do for Shontara his wife.

I will update you on arrangements as they are decided

Big Shed
11th May 2015, 09:39 PM
I am so sorry to hear that Neil.

This forum and the pen making community will be the poorer for his passing.

We met John and Shontara a couple of years ago and were planning to contact John on our way back to Victoria.

Please pass on our sincere condolences to Shontara.

Beedeejay
11th May 2015, 09:47 PM
I still can't believe it.
John was the first dedicated "penmaker" I met on my Woodturning journey. He seen me on here asking for help and told me to meet him at the broadbeach markets one Sunday. It was a rainy day but I still went anyways.
When I got there and introduced myself and the first thing he did was hand me a huge big plastic bag full of timber pen blanks. He said you can't turn pens without nice timber. And in that lot there was awesome stuff like cocobolo, dessert ironwood, olive rootballs and even worthless wood cast blanks. He spent proably the next 2 hours talkin to me all things pens. And showing me all the different kits that can be bought that he had on his display. It is a sad sad day as Neil said he was such a nice and generous guy who will be missed greatly.

R.I.P John

tdrumnut
11th May 2015, 10:00 PM
So sorry to hear of Johns passing Neil, please pass my sympathies onto Shontara while there tomorrow. We have all learnt so much from John over the years and I doubt whether this forum has and will ever have someone so willing to offer advice and support to new and old pen turners the way John has so freely and unselfishly done. He will be missed by many on this forum that's for sure. RIP John.

george mavridis
11th May 2015, 10:33 PM
Sorry to hear of John's passing. My deepest sympathies to his family.

Treecycle
11th May 2015, 11:04 PM
This is such a shock. Although I have never met John, I have often received advice or read advice he has freely given to others.
We must make sure we make the most of the time we have here.
My condolences to John's family.

Dallas

wheelinround
11th May 2015, 11:09 PM
This is sad news he will be missed for sure. Thanks for informing us all.

KBs PensNmore
11th May 2015, 11:12 PM
Sorry to hear of John's passing. My deepest sympathies to his family.
Kryn

fxst
11th May 2015, 11:13 PM
condolences to the family. A very helpful gentleman
Pete

MBUMIK
11th May 2015, 11:32 PM
Please Neil pass on my sympathies to his wife, although i have not actually spoken to her John mentioned her a few times in our phone conversations

he will be missed for sure, with his out of the box ideas and comments to help all, i don't think John ever had a bad word to say about anyone and he was always first in to help anyone regardless and in anyway possible

the Forum has lost an anchor

RIP John

shedbound
12th May 2015, 12:58 AM
Very sad, deepest symapthy to the family,

JTTHECLOCKMAN
12th May 2015, 03:20 AM
No this can not be. I have talked via email and PM with him many times. He was a true gentleman and always willing to help. I sent him some of my braiding material when I first started making those type pens as well as a few others here but he took it to another level. Trying new things. He surely will be missed. Please pass on my condolences to his family. We lost a good one for sure. May you Rest In Peace John.

Tangoman
12th May 2015, 06:22 AM
Thanks for sharing the news about John, my condolences to Shontara.

I only met John once at Broadbeach markets, one of the most pleasant and helpful men I've had the good fortune to meet. He will be missed !

Cam

bench1holio
12th May 2015, 07:34 AM
My Deepest Sympathy to Johns Family.

R.I.P John.

Mobyturns
12th May 2015, 07:34 AM
Very sad to hear of John's passing. I admire turners who offer others so much support and freely give of their knowledge & experience. RIP.

Sawdust Maker
12th May 2015, 08:38 AM
What shocking news
I have spoken with John seldom but have a great respect for his work and especially for his help
He will be sorely missed

my condolences to his family

Dorno
12th May 2015, 09:01 AM
I cannot believe this is true. John was a lovely man and had helped me both in person while I was up that way and also over the phone. he was never short in his help for you and all you had to do was contact hime and the problem would be solved. I remember have dinner one night at the club near Neil's (Dai sensei's) house with Neil and tdrumnut (trevor) and his wife to celebrate Johns birthday. I wish Shontara all the best at this time and I wish you well for the future

From my wife sharon and I

Kind regards Ian

doug3030
12th May 2015, 09:19 AM
I did not know John personally, not being a pen turner, but I was aware of his standing and respect on the forum.

My condolences to his wife, family, friends, pen turners everywhere whose lives have been touched by him and the woodworking community in general. Sadly, one of our finest is no longer with us.

Doug

chambezio
12th May 2015, 09:36 AM
What a terrible shock!!!
I met him at the Woodshow a couple of years back. But he was always giving contributions in his threads. He was a man that went quietly about his work and as said before, was happy to help any one.
We are a close knit bunch here on the Forum and to lose a member is so very sad.
Thanks Neil for the news. My condolences to his wife and family.

Chesand
12th May 2015, 10:16 AM
As I do not turn pens, I never had the pleasure of direct contact with John but I remember that he was always willing to lend a helping hand.

May his family mourn their loss but treasure their memories

Allan at Wallan
12th May 2015, 10:50 AM
I am another who has never met John but have always read his
views which were helpful and informative.

My condolences to the family - may he rest in peace.

Allan

Ironwood
13th May 2015, 07:31 AM
RIP John. You will be missed.

MAPLEMAN
13th May 2015, 08:26 AM
Very sad news...a lovely bloke...RIP John...MM

munruben
13th May 2015, 05:36 PM
Sad news indeed; I had the pleasure of meeting John on several occasions and he was always there to give advice or help you out if he could. I can add no more to the comments that have already been made. He will be sadly missed. Last time I saw John was at his market stall at Redlands Bay.

Picture of John and Shontara on a happy occasion Gold Coast BBQ .

QC Inspector
13th May 2015, 05:43 PM
There will be a big hole the forum that will be hard to fill. Condolences to his family and friends.

dai sensei
13th May 2015, 09:53 PM
Ok funeral arrangements have been made:

Service is being held 3-3:30pm Monday 18 May 2015 at

Great Southern Memorial Park
1774 Mt Cotton Road Carbrook

Shontara would then like everyone to come back to their house to celebrate John's life. Some drinks and nibbles will be provided but please feel free to bring some more (Shontara's preference is caramel :U). So from ~4pm at 6 Lemongrove Street Eagleby

If anyone from the God Coast would like a lift up, I will be leaving my place around 2pm

PenTurner
14th May 2015, 12:14 AM
Oh! dear, dear John, your lovely encouragements, your sincere advice, always trying to help. I only spoke with John last week, he made two Watch Part pens for me, to encourage me in my illness!!, :)I spoke to him about some difficulties I had with CA coming off at the edges, he emailed me with suggestions and pictures of what he did to overcome the problem. :)Typical of John, helpful and encouraging, always with a chuckle and a smile. I will miss you John, you have been a friend and a mentor to me, farewell my friend, I will miss you dearly. My Regards to Shontara and the the family, my prayers go out to you at your deep loss.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:, Amos

Samsbigrig
14th May 2015, 08:17 AM
John has been my close friend for 20 years. He got me motivated after family matters crushed me. I've got 40 of his pens, I'll leave them to my folks as I am sure they will be the Picasso of pen making in the future. He was the sort of person who could have united the country. Opinions always honest, he was non critical, but yes he was. Wishing I could master that.making you think and think it was your idea.
Everybody ,and their best friends, always say; full of promise, would have gone far, blah, blah.
the trouble with that for me, is that he was all those things. Came to my house at 3 am when I had family trouble, because he was worried about me. Went far. Yes he went far.
helpful. Well he turned up one day and said that we were going fishing. We went fishing for a week, very therapeutic.
He phoned me last week talking about things he'd discovered. He was rebuilding my motorbike" we rebuilt his Land Rover engine in November three lovely days. John worked things out. I always thought we just needed a bigger hammer!
Look, please, I could go on and on.
any of you who really knew him would say, yep so could we. God Bless John. RIP

artme
14th May 2015, 08:26 AM
Have just managed to get internet after arriving in Vancouver, Canada.

Hard toexplain my distress on reading his news. John certainly was a great bloke , always helpful and full of good cheer and good advice. We will all miss him.

My condolences to Shontara.

Arthur

Samsbigrig
14th May 2015, 08:31 AM
Oh! dear, dear John, your lovely encouragements, your sincere advice, always trying to help. I only spoke with John last week, he made two Watch Part pens for me, to encourage me in my illness!!, :)I spoke to him about some difficulties I had with CA coming off at the edges, he emailed me with suggestions and pictures of what he did to overcome the problem. :)Typical of John, helpful and encouraging, always with a chuckle and a smile. I will miss you John, you have been a friend and a mentor to me, farewell my friend, I will miss you dearly. My Regards to Shontara and the the family, my prayers go out to you at your deep loss.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:, Amos

I was talking with John last week. He told me about the watch parts. I bought a heap of broken watches a year or so ago, sent them to him and he did me a pen, of watch parts. There's probably a photo of it on this site.

im gutted that he's gone but we did talk about t.his sort of thing when we were working on his car. He would be unhappy to know we were distressed. Celebrate his life not his death.
RIP John. Sam.

Simomatra
14th May 2015, 09:20 AM
Neil please pass on my condolences to his wife and family, I have meet John a few times one of them being at your place.

A great man who was a dedicated pen turner, he will be will be missed. Always willing to help another turner out

RIP John

Christos
14th May 2015, 07:03 PM
Just saw this thread.

My condolence to John family.

PenTurner
14th May 2015, 07:19 PM
John has been my close friend for 20 years. He got me motivated after family matters crushed me. I've got 40 of his pens, I'll leave them to my folks as I am sure they will be the Picasso of pen making in the future. He was the sort of person who could have united the country. Opinions always honest, he was non critical, but yes he was. Wishing I could master that.making you think and think it was your idea.
Everybody ,and their best friends, always say; full of promise, would have gone far, blah, blah.
the trouble with that for me, is that he was all those things. Came to my house at 3 am when I had family trouble, because he was worried about me. Went far. Yes he went far.
helpful. Well he turned up one day and said that we were going fishing. We went fishing for a week, very therapeutic.
He phoned me last week talking about things he'd discovered. He was rebuilding my motorbike" we rebuilt his Land Rover engine in November three lovely days. John worked things out. I always thought we just needed a bigger hammer!
Look, please, I could go on and on.
any of you who really knew him would say, yep so could we. God Bless John. RIP
YES! YES and YES, that sound typical of John, with joy I remember his life, with sadness I remember his passing. Amos

LeoGunner
15th May 2015, 04:14 PM
RIP John,

I had only caught up with John a few weeks back and he was showing off a recent watch part pen that he had made. Terrible that he is gone so suddenly. Here is to an eternal wood pile John, keep that lathe turning mate!

Thinking of his family and close friends at this difficult time.
:rip:

Perfect Pens
15th May 2015, 04:42 PM
I am shocked truly shocked.
When I saw the topic of the thread I thought you and John were up to something Neil as you two usualy were. Then as I started reading I soon realised it was all very true. It seems like only just the other day I had you both over having a yak as we do and as we did over a Coffee.
Please pass my condolences on to Shontara and family Neil. RIP John

Tony

DaveTTC
16th May 2015, 06:14 PM
From southern New South Wales
and now Victoria I too have had the privilege of knowing and meeting John.

I still have some unused blanks he gave me last year when I toured his workshop and enjoyed his hospitality.

The photo of his soft beaming smile as he stood by his wife is exactly how I remember him.

Thankyou John for your time and generosity. You will be remembered

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Dorno
16th May 2015, 07:40 PM
From southern New South Wales
and now Victoria I too haf the privilege of knowing and meeting John.

I still have some unused blanks he gave me last year when I toured his workshop and enjoyed his hospitality.

The photo of his soft beaming smile as he stood by his wife is exactly how I remember him.

Thankyou John for your time and generosity. You will be remembered

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Dave I have already commented about John but I think you have said it simply and perfecly. He was a great guy and helped me on several occasions when I done my regular trips to Brisbane to visit my late best mate and he was a true gentleman. My thoughts are with you Shontara and John we will miss you greatly RIP

Ian

Ps That really is a great photo of John and Shontara

STAR
17th May 2015, 07:21 PM
John was always cheery regardless of the circumstances. I have known him for a few years, been to his home, and many forum get togethers. I often saw him at Tamborine Markets and at Neil's home (dai sensai ).

I will be at the Service to say my goodbye and offer Shontara my condolences.

Pete

dai sensei
18th May 2015, 08:21 PM
The funeral and wake went well. A big thank you to all the woodies that attended to send him off. I printed out all these posts for Shontara and John's family to ensure they were aware of your sentiments.

Thank you also to Munrumen for the photograph, I cropped it and blurred out the background before sharpening it up for enlargement, I then printed it at A3 and framed it with border surround. It was used at the funeral and then given to Shontara for a keep sake.

maddog 62
19th May 2015, 10:22 AM
i know its a bit late

RIP John

thankyou for all the interesting phone calls, the ideas and advice
you have been a huge help on my pen journey
untill we meet again my friend
farewell

gawdelpus
23rd May 2015, 08:26 PM
Neil kindly printed out all these comments from this particular thread and gave them to me at hubby's wake later that day. It was only two nights ago I was able to look and read them. Before that time, I could not. Some made me cry and others uplifted my heart. John was reading over my shoulder at the time. I am stronger now and feel all the support and kindness shown to John over the many years here on the Forum, Q Turn, Wood Turning Expos and other such as the swap meets, bbqs and other. Some of which I was involved in, some of which I was not. His pen turning was a passion and I know it showed in his workmanship. He was a true craftsman and we only ever wanted for each other to be happy. John was a teacher and a guide for all who were interested in listening, learning, just thinking or actually doing it. He gave with no expectations. As do I. If you should want a dose of hubby's humour and down to earth advice, feel free to contact me, as he and I speak with the one voice. And with Neil's (Dai Sensei's) help, and over a period of time, we will together sell all his equipment, wood blanks, pen kits, finished pens, pepper grinder blanks etc. etc. etc. So much to be done and I lovingly pass them on to who will appreciate and care for them as John did. Thanks to you, one and all and Angel blessings from Shontara. Some of you may have known me as Shayne (my birth name), whilst others knew me as Shontara (my preferred name that means The Rose of Love). It doesn't matter what you referred to me as being. You cared about John, so this caring I give now back to you with love. You all have gawdelpus' email address but here now is my own - shontara at gmail dot com should you ever need to use it. So again, on behalf of hubby and myself, we sincerely thank you.

DaveTTC
23rd May 2015, 08:32 PM
Nice to hear drom you Shontara, not sure if you remember me or not. I came up after the woodshow last year and was down in John's shed till late.

Wishing you well

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

george mavridis
23rd May 2015, 08:38 PM
Lovely words Shontara, although I never met John I did know of him through the forum, from the comments of those that knew him he must have been a wonderful man. Stay strong and I'm sure he is watching over you.

gawdelpus
24th May 2015, 10:21 PM
Lovely words Shontara, although I never met John I did know of him through the forum, from the comments of those that knew him he must have been a wonderful man. Stay strong and I'm sure he is watching over you.

Thanks for your kindness shown here to me George Mavridis. It is greatly appreciated and yes, he is very close. I am clairaudient and as such, I hear him speak to me clearly as if he was standing right next to me. He is laughing though because he was the one who did all the housework and the weird thing is, within days of him passing over into the world of Spirit (that does exist, even if one does not believe it to be in life), I have strangely become more house proud. He has, is and always will be my guiding Angel. I have been blessed to have had 28 great years with him. We knew each other inside out and there were never any secrets between us. Both John and I are on a new journey together that has great meaning and significance to not just me, nor him but to many in ways he could never imagine before but I could :) Sorry for being so deep. Am being guided, always. Angel blessings to you George. Have a pleasant evening. My plan here is to tune in every now and again to reply to the comments seen here.

gawdelpus
24th May 2015, 10:52 PM
Nice to hear drom you Shontara, not sure if you remember me or not. I came up after the woodshow last year and was down in John's shed till late.

Wishing you well

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

I wish I could remember your face clearly but so many men have walked through John's magic workshop (my words) throughout the many years we have lived here. And just as a matter of interest, I checked our pen inventory to find out that John started the pen making craft late 2008 and now it is early 2015. I think that makes 7.5 years he had to develop his passion into something that people would love. He was also a bit of a hoarder but he only ever bought tools and equipment that would enhance his work and it paid off for us at the markets. Just a little bit of cream and many hours of pleasure. John was and still is a teacher Dave. You have had the experience of being his student. You won't ever forget that you had with John in our home and what you do forget, you were not meant to remember any way but when you least expect it and when you ask that silent question, you may hear John's voice giving you an answer :) Good night Dave and blessings to you.

Cliff Rogers
24th May 2015, 11:05 PM
I have only just found this thread, I am stunned, I do not know what to say. :C

gawdelpus
25th May 2015, 09:03 AM
I have only just found this thread, I am stunned, I do not know what to say. :C

Hi there Cliff. This is Shontara, his partner in all things pens and so much more. I see you are a fellow timber hoarder, like John was. There is much to sell. And yes, it is a shock to the system when it is unexpected but in a way, it is good that it was very quick. He did not suffer, which the Coroner's Report confirmed for me the next day. And you don't need to say anything more than what you have. I can feel between the lines. And before I go from here Cliff, I have to say I love the little quote you have come up with as your signature line ...if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail... that makes me giggle. Because, like any artist or craftsman, they look at life in a different way and John was forever threatening that if he could drill a hole in it, he can make a pen out of it and he did so, very successfully. Have a blessed and productive day Cliff but please no banging fingers with the hammer by mistake.

Cliff Rogers
25th May 2015, 11:08 PM
Shontara, we did meet, one afternoon about 2 years ago I came to visit, I brought a couple of pieces of timber from central western Queensland. (You most likely won't remember the timber. :D) I was down there with my wife while she was getting treatment, you may remember that.

dai sensei
25th May 2015, 11:32 PM
... about 2 years ago I came to visit, I brought a couple of pieces of timber from central western Queensland...

Want to buy them back :U:U

gawdelpus
26th May 2015, 12:20 PM
Shontara, we did meet, one afternoon about 2 years ago I came to visit, I brought a couple of pieces of timber from central western Queensland. (You most likely won't remember the timber. :D) I was down there with my wife while she was getting treatment, you may remember that.

Hi Cliff - there is something there that rings a bell. You lived up north Qld at the time and because of your wife's condition, I think, you would come here and stay with relatives in Brisbane (Bayside suburbs I think) for a while when your wife would receive treatment, before moving north again to where you both normally live. I can also somehow remember you sitting on the wooden table and two chairs located on our balcony and you were chatting to John, while having a cuppa. This might have been the time you were talking about. Maybe not. Forgive me if I have this story completely wrong. I can accept being wrong :) But please also let me know if I am right. I like being right too.

Cliff Rogers
26th May 2015, 11:37 PM
Want to buy them back :U:U
One of the pieces of Prickly Wattle was for you. :2tsup:

Hi Cliff - there is something there that rings a bell. You lived up north Qld at the time and because of your wife's condition, I think, you would come here and stay with relatives in Brisbane (Bayside suburbs I think) for a while when your wife would receive treatment, before moving north again to where you both normally live. I can also somehow remember you sitting on the wooden table and two chairs located on our balcony and you were chatting to John, while having a cuppa. This might have been the time you were talking about. Maybe not. Forgive me if I have this story completely wrong. I can accept being wrong :) But please also let me know if I am right. I like being right too.
That was me. :)

gawdelpus
27th May 2015, 02:03 PM
One of the pieces of Prickly Wattle was for you. :2tsup:

That was me. :)

Wow, how exciting is that Cliff. My memory is not as bad as I thought. As I have seen and have spoken to so many men who have passed through our doors. Sounds a bit like a Willie Nelson song. Thanks for confirming that I was right. Yippee ! In the meantime Cliff, be sure to have the best day :)

Tiger
27th August 2015, 05:12 AM
Am stunned to read this, I've only been a sporadic visitor to the pen forums lately as I've had a few issues myself so I've only just read about John's passing. What can I say? A man who went out of his way to help, always ready with words of encouragement, the generosity of his spirit would come out in his posts. A huge loss.

Rum Pig
27th August 2015, 08:45 AM
WOW what a shock to see this:C
I'm sad in more ways than one now, now kicking myself for not staying part of this awesome community (not that it would have changed anything).
Well I feel privilege to have known him even if it was limited.
Keep the lathe spinning John :2tsup:

gawdelpus
27th August 2015, 05:11 PM
WOW what a shock to see this:C
I'm sad in more ways than one now, now kicking myself for not staying part of this awesome community (not that it would have changed anything).
Well I feel privilege to have known him even if it was limited.
Keep the lathe spinning John :2tsup:

Hi there Rum Pig - This is Shontara, Gawdelpus' soul mate and am replying to say thank you so much for the kind words you have said about John. Much appreciated :)

gawdelpus
27th August 2015, 05:13 PM
Am stunned to read this, I've only been a sporadic visitor to the pen forums lately as I've had a few issues myself so I've only just read about John's passing. What can I say? A man who went out of his way to help, always ready with words of encouragement, the generosity of his spirit would come out in his posts. A huge loss.

Hi there Tiger

Thanks so much for your kind words as well. Have only just seen them. John has been busy turning pens in Heaven and is still teaching as he did before :)

JTTHECLOCKMAN
13th September 2015, 02:47 AM
Hello Shontara

You do not know me but just wanted to say I am sorry for your loss. I could tell John was a caring and giving man from the messages we had. It is strange to see his sign-on name used here and I always have to check in. I have this sense that hey he is communicating from the other side and going to tell us about all the cool materials he has to work with to make pens there.:) I know we are many many miles apart and much water between us but the art of making pens has drawn us all that much closer. Take care. Stay well.

Rest in Peace John.

John T.

gawdelpus
13th September 2015, 08:30 PM
Hello Shontara You do not know me but just wanted to say I am sorry for your loss. I could tell John was a caring and giving man from the messages we had. It is strange to see his sign-on name used here and I always have to check in. I have this sense that hey he is communicating from the other side and going to tell us about all the cool materials he has to work with to make pens there.:) I know we are many many miles apart and much water between us but the art of making pens has drawn us all that much closer. Take care. Stay well. Rest in Peace John. John T. It was lovely to see your kind, loving and supportive words here. They are very much appreciated. He is most definitely communicating with me and others from the other side. All you need to do is speak his name in your mind, pose a question and he will answer it for you. Just keep your heart open and you will receive. I am taking care and I am staying well. I am being guided every step of the way. I am at peace and John does not find Heaven so boring after all, which he thought he would. Because of no more fears and self imposed limitations, he is now free to wander about creating miracles for people, inspiring, teaching and caring. No different than before. Except he lacks a physical presence. But you JT The Clockman are still here and this is most good, because I believe you too are similar to John and others. Keep on doing what you are doing. Angel blessings.

Bushmiller
13th September 2015, 09:55 PM
I only twigged that John had passed away when I saw Dai Sensei selling huge quantities of pen blanks. Then I came across this thread which to my chagrin I have missed for an embarrassingly long period of time.

Then I noticed that gawdhelpus was online and I thought he must have returned from the pen turning club in the sky. It was then it occurred that another was using his account and I read the posts by somebody I now know is his partner, Shontara.

I only met John once or maybe twice. It was at the Brissy woodworking show. I was immediately struck by his warm and humorous personality. I wish I had known him better.

Shontara, I am sure he is missed very much, but I hope you realise the esteem in which John was held. There are some truly beautiful people in the world and John was right there with them.

Regards
Paul

gawdelpus
14th September 2015, 08:38 AM
I only twigged that John had passed away when I saw Dai Sensei selling huge quantities of pen blanks. Then I came across this thread which to my chagrin I have missed for an embarrassingly long period of time. Then as noticed that gawdhelpus was online and I thought he must have returned from the pen turning club in the sky. It was then it occurred that another was using his account and I read the posts by somebody I now know is his partner, Shontara. I only met John once or maybe twice. It was at the Brissy woodworking show. I was immediately struck by his warm and humorous personality. I wish I had known him better. Shontara, I am sure he is missed very much, but I hope you realise the esteem in which John was held. There are some truly beautiful people in the world and was right there with them. Regards Paul Hi there Bushmiller. It's Shontara here. Don't feel bad about missing the post at the time. John and I both understand that people are busy and I am a believer that we all see what we are meant to see when we are meant to see it and not before :) It's the same with meeting our soul mate or partner that we have chosen to spend the rest of our life with. Yes, I do know John was a great man and touched many hearts with his winning smile, warmth, knowledge and more. And in regards to the pen turning club in the sky, it is a megacentre of similar souls just like John, chocker block full of wood shavings to clog up the plumbing. For your interest and others, I have no intention of closing down his account here. And like John, I am still being notified by email when someone makes a post in regards to Gawdelpus. Besides which, I like the people here on the Woodworking Forum. You all make me smile. Chow chow and have the best day when you see my reply.