PDA

View Full Version : A bench chisel handle

powderpost
12th May 2015, 10:44 PM
A scroll chuck is not necessary to make a chisel handle. I fitted a drill to the head stock and bored a hole in the end of the blank, using the tool rest as a steady.

The blank is reversed so that live centre is now in the hole. A ferule is fitted to the top or head stock end.

Now a ferule is fitted to the opposite end of the handle. Note that the handle can be removed and replaced accurately at any time.

The handle is shaped, decorated and polished if desired. I prefer my tools to be functional, not decorative.

I used the long point of the skew to cut the surplus material away. My hand cradles the handle with the fingers up against the back of the tool rest. That safely prevents the handle from disappearing when it is cut free.

The finished handle, and done safely without a scroll chuck. Hopefully this will help some one make a handle.

Jim

dai sensei
13th May 2015, 09:08 AM
Nice handle, but the handle that was under discussion was a tapered mount, although shouldn't make any difference to process

powderpost
13th May 2015, 09:21 AM
Nice handle, but the handle that was under discussion was a tapered mount, although shouldn't make any difference to process
That is true, but I don't have any socket chisels. As you say the process is exactly the same, but with a taper instead of fitting a ferrule. No difference really.

Jim

Rod Gilbert
13th May 2015, 06:35 PM
Well described Jim I am sure it will help many who want to make handles for there chisels much more economical to buy unhandled blanks and get the experience of turning you're own.
Regards Rod.

powderpost
13th May 2015, 08:38 PM
Well described Jim I am sure it will help many who want to make handles for there chisels much more economical to buy unhandled blanks and get the experience of turning you're own.
Regards Rod.
Rod, that method can be used for wood turning tools, screwdrivers, file handle and any other hand tool or handle for a lever.

Jim

smiife
13th May 2015, 08:40 PM
Hi jim,
You are on a roll , going scrolless so to speak !:U
Thanks for taking the time to show the process

Doc58
14th May 2015, 02:11 PM
Fine looking handle there :2tsup:

Doc