PDA

View Full Version : a post to match....

chuck1
13th May 2015, 06:15 PM
I turned the painted post a while ago, anyway another one was required! Which I turned this morning.
2.4 metres long 88 by 88 , pine.
thanks for looking.

artful bodger
13th May 2015, 06:19 PM
Nice work chuck.
Did you use some sort of steady?
Also looks like you have got 2 lathes end for ended there.Is that correct?
Cheers

Rod Gilbert
13th May 2015, 06:28 PM
Nice one Chuck hope you got a nice long tool rest,looks like a nova with a few bed extensions bodger.
Regards Rod.

Christos
13th May 2015, 07:32 PM
I like the turnings that you are allocated at your work. Means that work is not boring.

smiife
13th May 2015, 08:24 PM
Hi charlie,
It must be good to go to work and have a challenge
like that to make, looks good too :2tsup: well done

chuck1
13th May 2015, 08:46 PM
It's a teknatool with bed extensions 3 metres between centres and still not long enough.

only had to move toolrest once. It's about 1100 long.

I have a few home made steady's with skate board wheels. I'll post another photo of it. Could of got away with out it for one post. Had it spinning at 570 rpm.
Wasn't to bouncy.

I wish we got a little bit more turning in. So I was not cutting up timber for stairs.

the turning at work is basic spindle turning for me. I do enjoy it when it comes in. Some days I wish federation would take off abit again.

artful bodger
13th May 2015, 11:42 PM
So do teknatool have bed extensions that you can buy as an extra and just keep adding them on?

chuck1
14th May 2015, 09:32 AM
Yes they do. I laughed when when I saw it with all those bed extensions. On a purpose built steel frame with Timber braces.
It goes alright surprisingly
the lathe bed isn't wide enough for my liking. And the tailstock foot print could be bigger for the long turnings
but it far better than the stretched elu that was at the last place.

Mobyturns
14th May 2015, 09:20 PM
the lathe bed isn't wide enough for my liking. And the tailstock foot print could be bigger for the long turnings

Not surprising that your assessment is much the same as a lot of good kiwi turners assessments of Nova lathes.

chuck1
14th May 2015, 10:56 PM
They are a good unit, I am pushing the lathe to its limits. I saw somewhere that they made an up graded tailstock.