PDA

View Full Version : Fireproof Cabinets

Nuggett
19th July 2005, 04:54 PM
Hi All
Have tried to get fireproof cabinet from Womald security Co. But at almost $900 for a small one??? My Workshop is in my Garage, so having all manner of finishing products, doesn't make me sleep well at night!!
Anyone know of cheaper solutions? I have tried ebay & the trading post but no luck as yet.

Regards Nuggett

DavidG
19th July 2005, 05:04 PM
Make a water proof cabinet and mount it on the back fence well away from anything else.

Ashore
19th July 2005, 05:25 PM
Store them at your mother-in-laws

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

knucklehead
19th July 2005, 07:33 PM
I hate having flamable stuff around the house. One thing that many people do is to stick them all in a far away corner. They should realy be in a ventilated area so the fumes don't build up. The thing I am guilty of is keeping stuff that should be disposed of, like 2 out of date gas bottles.

At $900 for a fire proof cabinet maybe a small garden shed is the go. Stick it out in the yard and forget about it.

soundman
19th July 2005, 09:14 PM
I have a flam store, baught three of them a few years ago. Two mates have the others.
They come up from time to time at auctions & very rarely in papers.

BUT

Heres the drum,( I baught the standard on flamable storage too.)
A proper flam store is made of steel, double skinned (50mm seperation) has self closing doors, and a bund that is capable of holding the total rated liquid capacity in the base. Oh its usualy red but sometimes yellow with the specified flamable warning text on the outside.

How to build a quick & dirty one that is more or less compliant.
weld up a steel frame of 50mm rhs. Clad the inside with .5mm zinc aneal sheet. make good tight seams. clad the outside the same. make doors similar.
seal the doors with fibreglass stove tape.
job done.

next week I describe how to cure all known diseases. :D

seriously
All the fire & security companies will hit you hard for such an item, Beg borrow or steal a coppy of the standard & visit a sheet metal worker If you arent up to it yourself.

cheers

Nuggett
5th August 2005, 02:34 PM
Sorry for late reply .
Hade the wog. Esp.Like storing at mother-in-laws! only trouble is she's in UK?? How lucky am I. :)

Markw
10th August 2005, 03:46 PM
If you dont have too many products, why not use a Brownbuilt steel locker. Some of the older ones are very heavy duty and sufficiently sturdy enough to stop sparks etc entering the flammable zone. (remeber to seal up the front vent holes)

On the inside use metal cooking type oven trays that are capable of containing the entire contents of the container being stored on each shelf.

Lets face it, if your shed or workshop is already on fire then adding 200 or so litres of flammables is not that big an issue if the flames are big enough to overcome the locker. Chances are if the fire were to overcome your locker, it would have in all likelyhood total your shed anyway.

If you want to go overboard, put the locker in the middle of the back paddock / yard with twenty yards of scorched earth, put a roof over it, maybe a cobblestone path, some nice english box hedge down each side with discreet low voltage lighting.

Or just use a locker in your shed. Don't keep more than you need. Dispose of fluids no longer needed. Regulary check the containers for damage (rust on bottom). Don't keep LPG within your shed - this is deadly stuff - leave it at the BBQ. Don't have an ignition source within 2m of the locker.

Harry72
11th August 2005, 02:27 AM
Yup that LPG is dangerous stuff, we had a local blown to bits(RIP) the other day by a LPG bottle, he was just soldering some copper pipe must've had a leak or something...

Mark Spaulding
14th August 2005, 02:38 PM
Hi All,

I got a used and discarded hazmat cabinet from the last base I worked at. They call it DERMO. Great place to look as I got it for $30! HUGE savings!

The Big O
16th August 2005, 09:36 AM
Yup that LPG is dangerous stuff, we had a local blown to bits(RIP) the other day by a LPG bottle, he was just soldering some copper pipe must've had a leak or something...

What was he thinking of? Why would he have a leak whilst he was working?

bsrlee
16th August 2005, 09:53 PM
Again, at the risk of being on topic, I was giving a mate a hand the other day 7 the place we were at had 2 old 'flammables' cupboards thathad been used for storing paint, thinners & similar for their spray booth. The one that I looked thru was a Brownbuilt unit - painted grey, no front vents, one 50mm pipe leading from the top of the base tray, which was a one piece welded tub base about 150mm (6") deep. Doors were double skin, but only 20mm or so separation, fairly large overlaps on the cabinet, welded angle iron & gal mesh shelves. Also it was only 1500 (5') tall, not 1800 (6').

So, for my recommendation, either find a second hand unit, or use the lawn locker.