PDA

View Full Version : A Collaboration

Christos
18th May 2015, 04:47 PM
I acquired this piece from one of the members of the forum, TurnerTed. It was a thank you for helping him move his new lathe into his work space.

This piece was originally shaped by Ted when it was wet and he left it thick to wait for it to dry. I might be out on the start date but too late now to change that.

This is an Olive tree that used to live in his neighbors yard. It was cut down and lucky for Ted he was home to hear the chain saw. :2tsup:

It was showing a little bit of cracking on the lip and I filled this with CA and put it aside for for a week before starting on the piece. Ted had originally turned this with a step on the edge of the bowl and I though that I should try and keep that shape. Did not quite work out as I intended. I should have gone a tad sharper in the transition.

I left the thickness of the bowl at around 8mm and the base of the foot at around 12mm.

I ended up finishing this with wipe on ploy, about three coats. It is a gloss finish but I think it does not do it justice to the grain. I wanted this to pop a little more.

347471 347468 347469

All comments and suggestions welcome.

dai sensei
18th May 2015, 08:09 PM
Looks good mate :2tsup:

Although I don't think much of the wiggly ol writing on the bottom :rolleyes:

turnerted
19th May 2015, 05:06 PM
Looks like you did a good job on this Christos although I would have liked to have seen a bit of a foot retained to raise it up slightly .
Ted

Christos
19th May 2015, 05:38 PM
.... although I would have liked to have seen a bit of a foot retained to raise it up slightly .....

You got me thinking about all the bowls that I have made and all but one have lower foot. I might need to try retaining more of the foot on some future bowls. Really appreciate the feedback allows me to think of different designs.

chuck1
19th May 2015, 08:52 PM
Looks great! The out side shape reminds of a WW2 helmet.

Christos
19th May 2015, 10:08 PM
Looks great! The out side shape reminds of a WW2 helmet.

I am not that old. :U