PDA

View Full Version : Batemans Bay ????

Simplicity
18th May 2015, 05:30 PM
We are plaining (being me and the wife) in the next couple of months
Are road trip holiday Thelma and Louise but we will come back hopefully .
Leaving from Melbourne first stop being Bega for a few nights .
Trip back down to Eden for a day then up to batemans bay for 6/8 nights properly
The wife and I have both done Melbourne to bega before but not beyond .
So the big question is what is there to see and do in around Batemans bay ie day trips out
And remember I'm asking this from a wood work forum now there's s big hint .
So any good timber places ,second hand tool places places of significance(did I mention I like wood)
We will be traveling in an empty work van so plenty of room for postcards ,tea cloths and stuff .
We both like old stuff sight seeing places like sovereign hill Ballarat Echuca that sort of thing .
Also if any wants to shout afternoon tea we would be happy to stop by of course

Avery
18th May 2015, 06:08 PM
Mogo is just a short drive from Batemans. last time I was there, some of the galleries in the village had some interesting timber pieces - always good for some ideas. and of course Mogo Zoo is worth a look. A bit further away is Braidwood - plenty more galleries and some interesting architecture.

nine fingers
18th May 2015, 07:28 PM
From Bega going north about 40 ks, turn off to TILBA, an old crafty town, a hour or 2 will soon pass. John.

Simplicity
18th May 2015, 08:10 PM
Thanks guys

dai sensei
18th May 2015, 08:32 PM
On the way to Tilba Tilba, don't forget to stop at Cabargo too, plenty of craft type shops, but the woodturning shop is gone unfortunately.

Simplicity
18th May 2015, 08:51 PM
Immmmmm
Will I need a trailer on the van ???

burraboy
19th May 2015, 02:37 AM
If you go as far north as Milton on a weekend, drop into the Woodcraft gallery. Also try the pork sausage rolls a few shops down the street from the gallery :2tsup:.

Pat
19th May 2015, 05:09 AM
Bungendore is an 1 an a bit away. Nice little woodworking gallery there :U

robbygard
19th May 2015, 08:52 AM
On the way to Tilba Tilba, don't forget to stop at Cabargo too, plenty of craft type shops, but the woodturning shop is gone unfortunately.

depends what you want ... cobargo is 40km north of bega, tilba about 60kms ... i believe there is a recycled timber place out of cobargo on the road to bermagui ... never been there myself but have been to bermi which is a lovely seaside town with a good choice of reasonable food ... it was where they shot the film "the man who sued god" ... you can go from bermi up towards tilba without retracing your steps to cobargo, so i nice little loop drive .. tilba has quite a good woodwork gallery and a shop that sells cobbers, fresh, but otherwise just like they were in the 1960's ;) (the only other place i have found them like that is in tasmania)

about 20km south of batemans bay is mogo which as someone said has a few crafty sort of shops ... there is a fair bit of turnover there so it is almost like a different set of shops everytime you drive through ... i believe there is also a recycled timber place there but again , haven't got there yet ... the zoo is excellent if you have kids or foreign tourists with you .. not sure i would recommend it otherwise

braidwood an interesting place if you like older architecture as someone said (about one hour from the bay) and as someone also said, bungendore about 45 mins from braidwood, where a very good but very expensive gallery

if you get to milton, i like the lamb and rosemary sausage rolls rather than the pork :P

regards david

robbygard
19th May 2015, 09:33 AM
by the way .. just thought of another couple of things ... at moruya (about 30mins before the bay) .. there is a local museumm which has (amongst other things) a huge lathe for turning granite columns

if you have a 4WD between the bay and ulladulla/milton there is a track to the east where you can drive in to see a really large spotted gum ... sorry i cannot be more specific about just where but maybe someone local would be able to tell you .... i went in there with a couple of friends about 15 years ago ... the three of us joined hands with arms extended and didn't get half way round the tree

regards david

Simplicity
19th May 2015, 08:38 PM
That's great guys much appreciate it your thoughts.
The wife wants to know off any good junk shops selling old tools extra I might be a little interested to well maybe lot more than her lol.

robbygard
19th May 2015, 09:56 PM
That's great guys much appreciate it your thoughts.
The wife wants to know off any good junk shops selling old tools extra I might be a little interested to well maybe lot more than her lol.

don't know of any good ones ... there is a place at bairnsdale or sale that has clocks and antiques ... we called in one time and decided we had ticked that box ... it seemed very expensive ... i noticed that it moved in the last couple of years (just down the road) but don't imagine that it will be worth a second visit :P

at south pambula there is a garden centre that has/had a junk/antique place as well (called oaklands) ... it had a lot of tools but i thought things were overpriced there as well ... has a couple of restored old trucks/utes in the yard

regards david

Simplicity
19th May 2015, 10:44 PM
Thanks David

dai sensei
19th May 2015, 11:50 PM
There is a Market circuit up there that has quite a few old wares and tool stalls. It used to do Pambula and Candello just not sure of weekend cycles nor if it is even on over winter

Simplicity
20th May 2015, 12:22 AM
Thanks Dai sensei

robbygard
20th May 2015, 08:46 AM
candelo first sunday, pambula second sunday ... never been to either so don't know what they're like

regards david

AndrewOC
20th May 2015, 04:01 PM
museum in Batemans Bay http://www.oldcourthousemuseum.com/museum-collections
has some olde tools n stuff

Mogo is fun; http://www.mogovillage.com.au/old-mogo-town.html
and Old Mogo Town also has some tool / workshop displays; http://www.goldrushcolony.com.au/
though it costs mney to get in- make the most of it.

Tilba fun as well, these towns all had antique shops...

enjoy,
AndrewOC

Simplicity
20th May 2015, 04:34 PM
Thanks Andrew

bsrlee
22nd May 2015, 03:14 AM
Mogo is also the site of temporary gold rushes - several times in recent years people have picked up nuggets on the unsealed side roads which triggers a rush of hopefuls - after all Mogo was a old Gold Rush town with 13 or so pubs. I remember when the owner of the general store wanted to sell up because there were too many customers after one find - yes, really, he had bought the place as something to keep him interested in his retirement.

So, if you have a metal detector or a gold panning dish you could give prospecting a go. There is an unsealed road that runs to and along the Buckenbowra river which is quite nice and you could try fishing or panning in the middle bit.

Allan at Wallan
2nd June 2015, 11:15 AM
don't know of any good ones ... there is a place at bairnsdale or sale that has clocks and antiques ... we called in one time and decided we had ticked that box ... it seemed very expensive ... i noticed that it moved in the last couple of years (just down the road) but don't imagine that it will be worth a second visit :P

at south pambula there is a garden centre that has/had a junk/antique place as well (called oaklands) ... it had a lot of tools but i thought things were overpriced there as well ... has a couple of restored old trucks/utes in the yard

regards david

My cousin has a long established antique shop in Sale ... I wonder if it
is the one regarded as "expensive". :D

Allan

Simplicity
28th October 2015, 08:27 AM
Ok we stopped at Batemans Bay
And have now found our way up to Coffs Harbour
We are here for about 5 nights now we took some more time off work yaaaaa
So any must see places around here from locals
Also still hunting for old tools?
(Sorry the editor in the shower)