PDA

View Full Version : Woodfast Lathes

Michael999
18th May 2015, 10:59 PM
Hi folks, I have been lurking these forums for some time and am hoping get some assistance on the value of the following old Woodfast Lathes.
I am a Tech Studies teacher in an Adelaide Secondary school and we have been told to guard or get rid of some of our older machines.
The guarding requested is something similar to a CNC lathe making these machines next to useless.
The machines are 900mm between centres
There are lots of rests, tools and accessories for each lathe.
They are 415v and the dust extractors would not be included.
This is not a for sale thread or auction thread, just looking for a rough value so I know what I can put the machines up on Gumtree for.

Thanks in advance!
Michael

george mavridis
18th May 2015, 11:18 PM
Once you establish what a reasonable price is, why don't you offer them for sale on here?

Mobyturns
19th May 2015, 07:25 AM
DECS in SA had some pretty comprehensive safety literature. I asked for & received permission to use a lot of their material to compile a safety booklet for the local club when I was secretary.

Looks like secondary & tertiary institutions are becoming so risk averse that we will be sending our kids out in cotton wool soon.

Selling 3 ph gear at a fair price is difficult, not a lot of demand and new owners do not want to rewire/repower due to cost. Have a look at http://www.machines4u.com.au/search/?action=topbar_search&keywords=wood+lathe&industry_id=0&action=search it has an M910 for $1800 with tools. Perhaps well worth looking at for a new turner. ;-)

NCArcher
19th May 2015, 08:03 AM
http://www.machines4u.com.au/view/advert/Heavy-Duty-Wood-Lathe-Woodfast/219217/

I'm not saying this price is fair but it should give you an idea.

AndrewOC
19th May 2015, 09:57 AM
" been told to guard "
Wow.
How much more guarding could you possibly do to the Woodfast/Hyco in question?!

AndrewOC

Michael999
19th May 2015, 10:03 AM
Once you establish what a reasonable price is, why don't you offer them for sale on here?
I could certainly do that, I just didn't want the thread to become some sort of auction. I want to see working machines go to someone who will use them and not simply sold for scrap metal value to a used machines dealer.

DECS in SA had some pretty comprehensive safety literature. I asked for & received permission to use a lot of their material to compile a safety booklet for the local club when I was secretary.

Looks like secondary & tertiary institutions are becoming so risk averse that we will be sending our kids out in cotton wool soon.

Selling 3 ph gear at a fair price is difficult, not a lot of demand and new owners do not want to rewire/repower due to cost. Have a look at http://www.machines4u.com.au/search/?action=topbar_search&keywords=wood+lathe&industry_id=0&action=search it has an M910 for $1800 with tools. Perhaps well worth looking at for a new turner. ;-)
Yep I agree, but I don't think cotton wool is required, just working with different machines and tools to those we have used in previous years.

http://www.machines4u.com.au/view/advert/Heavy-Duty-Wood-Lathe-Woodfast/219217/

I'm not saying this price is fair but it should give you an idea.
Thanks for that, given the number of spares and tools which would go with them, do you think $1500 would be fair?

brendan stemp
19th May 2015, 10:05 AM
Contact Steve and Graham at Woodfast. They do a lot of work for schools and will be able to do the work for you.

DSEL74
22nd May 2015, 03:05 PM
There have been a number of them floating around ebay which look to also have been removed from educational facilities going in the sub $800 range. I have been following them but they have all been interstate for me so far. Some have been nicely presented and others look wreaked but asking the same price.

Enfield Guy
22nd May 2015, 04:21 PM
So I gather this will be the end of teaching woodturning at your school?

Michael999
24th May 2015, 12:02 AM
So I gather this will be the end of teaching woodturning at your school?

Given how many new subjects are now compulsory, we no longer have enough time with students to cover the same content.
Unfortunately wood turning ended quite some time ago.

DSEL74
24th May 2015, 12:09 AM
Michael999 which state are you in??

Michael999
24th May 2015, 09:33 AM
michael999 which state are you in??
sa