PDA

View Full Version : Thread Master Jig

Andrew Normoyle
19th May 2015, 11:39 AM
Carbatec used to make a "Thread Master" jig for making male and female threads on turned items, however they no longer make this jig.

I have a set of "thread chasing" chisels, however am seeking a jig that is more versatile.

Can anyone tell me where I may be able to find a thread making jig either Carbatec or other OR a method of making good deep threads in my work?

Thank you.

turnerted
19th May 2015, 04:56 PM
Andrew
I use the EZ thread cutting jig . It's sold on ebay from UK or you can pay twice as much and order it online from the US.
Ted

pommyphil
19th May 2015, 07:02 PM
Here http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EZ-PRO-WOODTURNING-LATHE-TWO-SPINDLE-THREAD-CUTTING-TOOL-JIG-/291468591322?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43dce1c0da

Jim Carroll
19th May 2015, 08:47 PM
Are they supplying the fly cutter with this kit as well

The carbatec one was around 20 years ago, then Vermec were producing one around the $450 mark.

This one would come in about the same price once you get it here.

oops jusrt reread the sale and it indicates the cutters are supplied.

Just noted the pricing and I dont think their calculator is working properly as the pound the Aus $ is just on $2.00 at the moment

fozz
19th May 2015, 09:16 PM
I bought one of the Ezy Pro threaders about twelve months ago, came supplied with threading jig and cutter, $220.00 landed at my door.

powderpost
19th May 2015, 09:17 PM
I have one of those Carba-tec thread masters. They were designed to suit the HM-1 small lathe that Carba-tec produced. The tool is designed to suit 125mm bed to centre. You will probably need to manufacture some sort of false "bed" to make up the difference.

I think the English tool is more adaptable and allows for the different centre heights.

Jim

Kidbee
19th May 2015, 09:42 PM
Thread Cutting Jigs versus Hand Thread Chasers. In Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to TURNING by Richard Raffan, he says-

"A jig makes chasing a thread easy, particularly on a short tenon or a flange that abuts a shoulder, as is typical on a box. However, chasing with a jig is nowhere near as satisfying as hand chasing - or as quick, once you get the hang of the technique. While you might start out with a jig, chances are you'll eventually go on to relish the enjoyment of hand chasing."

gidgee 1
20th May 2015, 07:35 AM
Mcjing tools have a bit of kit that may do the job.
Look under Woodworking/-Woodturning set/H.S steel/- Wood threading tools.(down the bottom of screen,right hand size)
The photos are a bit small,and the tool looks basic,but it may do what is needed.
Cheers
gidgee 1

Mobyturns
20th May 2015, 10:15 AM
Carbatec used to make a "Thread Master" jig for making male and female threads on turned items, however they no longer make this jig.

I have a set of "thread chasing" chisels, however am seeking a jig that is more versatile.

Can anyone tell me where I may be able to find a thread making jig either Carbatec or other OR a method of making good deep threads in my work?

Thank you.

Try David at SE QLD Woodworking Supplies. last time he was up he still had a Bonnie Klein threading jig.

dai sensei
20th May 2015, 01:01 PM
I made my own version of Bonnie's jig, it suits both my JET1442 and my Woodfast305 http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=153569&highlight=thread

Andrew Normoyle
20th May 2015, 05:11 PM
Thank you Ted.

I have seen them but have not heard any comments. Definitely deserves further investigation.

Andrew
I use the EZ thread cutting jig . It's sold on ebay from UK or you can pay twice as much and order it online from the US.
Ted

dogcatcher
24th May 2015, 05:35 PM
Check this one out from IAP. http://www.penturners.org/forum/f30/shop-made-threading-jig-131095/

A quick Google search of "wood lathe thread cutting jigs" both as web search and the n gong to image search will get you several good ideas of how to rig up homebrew system.

LenA
1st February 2017, 08:26 PM
Andrew
Not sure if you are still looking but there is a Carbatec Threadmaster for sale on Gumtree in Tasmania at trhe moment.

Len

WOODbTURNER
1st February 2017, 10:58 PM
Here's a Carbatec set up for my Stubby405415

dai sensei
2nd February 2017, 10:52 PM
Andrew
Not sure if you are still looking but there is a Carbatec Threadmaster for sale on Gumtree in Tasmania at trhe moment.

Len

Very old thread, he hasn't logged on since 2015.

WOODbTURNER
2nd February 2017, 11:05 PM
Very old thread, he hasn't logged on since 2015.

Neil it says he listed it on 25/01/2017. Oops, I misread and was referring to for sale ad in Gumtree

hughie
4th February 2017, 09:55 PM
I made my own version of Bonnie's jig, it suits both my JET1442 and my Woodfast305 http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/threading-jig-153569?highlight=thread

Neil,
Old posts have the images stripped from them