PDA

View Full Version : Chisel Tool Roll

Nifty Nev
20th May 2015, 09:49 PM
Anyone know where I can purchase a tool roll (canvas or leather) suitable for Robert Sorby turning chisels. The longest chisel is 500 mm long.

chuck1
20th May 2015, 10:39 PM
We got a canvas place to make some when we were at tafe. Might be worth ringing some shops.

yowie
20th May 2015, 11:18 PM
I bought some canvas and made my own. All straight lines so pretty easy...

issatree
21st May 2015, 12:27 PM
Hi Nifty Nev,
I kind of find the Roll a bit of a pain, 1 reason is the Sharp tools ends up going through the roll.
So I use a bit of 6in. Plastic Pipe, cut a piece of pine to fit the bottom.
Pop riveted the wood to the bottom. Found a piece of foam to put in the bottom, made a big long handle that wood go over the top of the Handles, & bobs your uncle.

Gary H
21st May 2015, 03:31 PM
G'day Nifty Nev,

SWMBO made me a tool roll from canvas, but it was not real successful. First problem is
we all tend to accumulate too many chisels, so it can get very heavy. Next comes the
size of the handles compared to the chisel sizes - the roll can end up three times as
big at the handle end compared to the "business" end - result is roll can be unwieldy.
A plastic bucket with foam in the bottom was OK but I have now settled on one of the
most popular storage systems available. YEP! The trusty ol' Milk Crate - holds a heavy
load, has good strong handles, and is very economical. With foam rubber in the bottom
and a timber top with lots of holes, it fills the bill.http://d1r5wj36adg1sk.cloudfront.net/images/smilies/actions/2thumbsup.gif

Mobyturns
21st May 2015, 07:29 PM
Hi Nifty Nev,
I kind of find the Roll a bit of a pain, 1 reason is the Sharp tools ends up going through the roll.
So I use a bit of 6in. Plastic Pipe, cut a piece of pine to fit the bottom.
Pop riveted the wood to the bottom. Found a piece of foam to put in the bottom, made a big long handle that wood go over the top of the Handles, & bobs your uncle.

One handy trick for a tool roll is to make a scabbard for each chisel from standard PVC water pipes. Use a heat gun to heat the PVC to deform the circular tube to an oval that conforms to the skew chisel, scraper etc. For round shaft tools like bowl & spindle gouges select a pipe dis that conforms to the tool shaft or ferrule size. Simply make the PVC say 20 or 30 mm longer that the chisel shaft - no more damage to either the chisel or tool wrap.

dai sensei
21st May 2015, 08:40 PM
I got mine from Supercheap Auto, but I only have 3 handles, all the chisels fit into collects on the handles - see http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=151195&highlight=chisels. Mind you, even with only 3 handles, with all the chisels (now 36) it still weighs a fair bit.

chuck1
23rd May 2015, 01:13 PM
This the custom chisel roll we had made, only holds 10 comfortably which suits me for work
still can't remember where we got them made sorry.

Pat
23rd May 2015, 03:02 PM
I got mine from Lee Valley (http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=56743&cat=1,330,56743)