PDA

View Full Version : Checking an electric motor before being able to power it

LordBug
20th May 2015, 09:52 PM
Hi guys,

I managed to save a decent piece of machinery from being scrapped by my workplace, which has suffered quite a few years of being left out in the weather.
Now, whilst I'm sure it's been made to be unfazed by the outdoors, I'd still like to get an idea of what to look for, as I'm without the ability to power a 3 phase motor.

Also, if there happens to be anyone with a decent bit of hydraulics knowledge, is there anything you'd suggest I keep an eye out for once I clean it up? I intend to look inside all openable areas to check for water ingress and corrosion.
Apologies if this is the wrong section!

BobL
20th May 2015, 11:16 PM
Can you physically turn it over?
If not connecting up the power will be sure to let the smoke out.

I'd be disconnecting it from the pump? and seeing if it turns over.

Then Megger it (insulation testing) if close to acceptable it might get better with a clean up but clean it up anyway

Then check the coil to coil resistance to see that they are the same.

If OK check if it starts and runs check the running current , if too high might not be worth pursuing.

Replace bearings and run it and see how hot it gets.

If you need help sing out!

Combustor
21st May 2015, 01:44 AM
Should be able to remove the top endcover and rotate the fan to see that pump and motor are free. Exposure may have allowed moisture into the top end bearing, or even the windings, so expect the top bearing to be noisy. Definitely get a megger (insulation) check done on the windings for peace of mind. Any indication which direction it should rotate? Pump will only work one way. Rotation can be reversed by swapping any two of the three input wires to motor or contactor. Good luck,
Combustor.

LordBug
22nd May 2015, 09:51 PM
Cheers fellas, pulled my thumb out and took the cover off the fan, turns fairly easily, no telltale feeling of bad bearings.
Is the megger check able to be done without having to find a way into the windings?

BobL
22nd May 2015, 10:54 PM
Cheers fellas, pulled my thumb out and took the cover off the fan, turns fairly easily, no telltale feeling of bad bearings.
Is the megger check able to be done without having to find a way into the windings?

Yes the connection or terminal box is opened up and connections made between the coils and the earth - no need to open it up to the windings.
If you get stuck I'm happy to test it for you.