PDA

View Full Version : Aluminium Edging

leeton
19th July 2005, 10:11 PM
G'day All,
Any idea where I can find aluminium edging...u know...the same they used in the 50's on all the kitchen cupboards, and tables etc.
a web site or a place in Melbourne would be handy.
Thanks

wombat47
20th July 2005, 07:17 AM
How much do you need? I've got a previously "loved" piece a bit under 2m. It has a brushed look between the top and bottom ridges, rather than the grooved look that I've also seen around.

Trav
20th July 2005, 02:08 PM
I know it is not the same stuff, but Bunnings sell Al angle and sheets of varying size. Perhaps they might have something to suit?

Trav

leeton
20th July 2005, 02:35 PM
How much do you need? I've got a previously "loved" piece a bit under 2m. It has a brushed look between the top and bottom ridges, rather than the grooved look that I've also seen around.
Thanks Wombat, but I am building a few things, will probably need a fair bit more than that, thans for the offer though.

Ashore
20th July 2005, 02:58 PM
Try a google search on Capral they sell heaps of diffrent profiles

Russell

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

Auld Bassoon
20th July 2005, 09:08 PM
G'day All,
Any idea where I can find aluminium edging...u know...the same they used in the 50's on all the kitchen cupboards, and tables etc.
a web site or a place in Melbourne would be handy.
ThanksG'day Leeton,

I used some aluminium edging on a shop-built router tabe (see http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=10287) fairly recently to protect the corners. Got it a El Bunnoe's, at not much per metre. http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=10287

Various sizes available up to, if I recall correctly, about 35mm x 35mm; larger than that, I suggest a proper sheet metal merchant, or ditto if you were looking for > a couple of metres.

Cheers!

Iain
20th July 2005, 09:47 PM
Capral is probably the best bet, try the off cuts section.
Look in the phone book for your nearest outlet.

knucklehead
20th July 2005, 10:02 PM
Find the non-ferrous metal suppliers in the phone book. Some of the larger one carry a big varriety of stuff.

The first time I went to one I was a kid in a candy shop......hey mister what can I get for this many?

Groggy
21st July 2005, 08:07 PM
Going by memory here, there's a large supplier in Crockford St South Melbourne, about number 70-80. Can't recall the name though.

leeton
25th July 2005, 08:34 PM
Thanks all for your input, I will take all your advice on board and let you know how I go,
Tony :)