PDA

View Full Version : 3 legged bowl

chuck1
23rd May 2015, 05:55 PM
Had some creative shed time.
it about 250 diameter and 70 mm deep
champhor for bowl and ebonised hardwood for the legs.

turned back of bowl on faceplate
then chucked to turn inside and sand
re-chucked on longworth to turn recess off and final shape , sand
marked out for drilling holes for 3 legs
its had 3 coats of minwax wop
thanks for looking

smiife
23rd May 2015, 06:34 PM
Hi charlie,
Looks good mate , well done
I always like working with CL smells great too!

powderpost
23rd May 2015, 10:40 PM
Chuck, I know you didn't ask for comment, but I will stick my neck out. Something, in my eye, doesn't quite fit. Maybe if the legs were in further in under the bowl and not quite so dark, they would blend better??? Perhaps if you fitted square tapered legs under the rim in the same timber and fitted ears to the top of the legs, like water flowing over the edge???

Hope you don't mind my comments, just my thoughts. Still a nice job.. :2tsup:

Jim

chuck1
24th May 2015, 09:54 AM
Thanks smiife, great to turn in the cooler months.

thanks jim, any comments always welcome , I feel switched on with spindle turning but lack inspiration with bowls. The legs were an after thought from something I saw on a turning site
with the bowl having some black stains I thought 3 black legs might look ok , also making the bottom of the bowl more sphere shaped made it fairly unstable.
Maybe some spoon foot legs?!
Dont ever get worried about comments about my turning that's why I post photos. Everyone has didderent ideas , it would be a boring world if we were all the same!
i think my photos have improved with thanks to smiife. At least a little bit . Stop shaking your head!

powderpost
24th May 2015, 11:27 AM
Maybe some spoon foot legs?

That is an even better idea.. :2tsup:

Jim

elderly
24th May 2015, 04:23 PM
It is a nicely turned bowl but I have to agree with Jim about there being a problem with the legs. The recess around the inside of the top of the bowl does not look right to me. It looks like it is a recess for a lid. Just my thoughts.
Cheers Frank.

Christos
26th May 2015, 01:30 PM
I like the bow shape and the legs. I am not sure that the legs need to be thicker?

I am thinking that the recess needs to be wider and the lip of the bowl lower and thinner.

chuck1
26th May 2015, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the ideas, I was going to go thinner with a spoon foot for the legs, as for the inside of the bowl the shape will have to stay as I don't have a vacuum chuck. But time will permit a lid for the bowl.
thanks to all for the comments.
Stay tuned for the updated additions now a wip! :$

elderly
27th May 2015, 08:04 AM
Why do you need a vacuum chuck? There are lots of ways to finish the bottom without one.
Cheers Frank

Christos
27th May 2015, 08:06 AM
..... as for the inside of the bowl the shape will have to stay as I don't have a vacuum chuck. .....

The comments are for the next one you create in a similar style. If you are like me you would create something similar in the next piece with a slight variation.

chuck1
27th May 2015, 07:02 PM
Well the legs are not glued in so I might play around with some different shapes. And same for a lid for this one, if it works out it can stay with this one!

chuck1
31st May 2015, 05:51 PM
Why do you need a vacuum chuck? There are lots of ways to finish the bottom without one.
Cheers Frank

Sorry I meant for the inside as I have turned the recess off the bottom .

chuck1
31st May 2015, 05:54 PM
New legs spoon foot drumsticks I've called them , I think they look better!

Christos
1st June 2015, 02:26 PM
Very different and they do look better. They sort of blend in with the piece.

chuck1
7th June 2015, 09:49 PM
The tapered legs were to big.