PDA

View Full Version : Home made tool shafts

Phil Hansen
24th May 2015, 09:24 PM
For those that have made their own turning tools (carbide or otherwise - not scrapers) Do you have a preference for square, round or hex bar stock?
I have made a few with square stock but wondered if round or hex would be preferable.
Thanks
Phil

powderpost
24th May 2015, 09:43 PM
Hi Phil, I have made quite a few tools from mild steel flats. These have pieces of heavy machine hack saw blade silver soldered to the top to make cutting edges. They have all been made for special jobs. This suits me as I cannot slip around the corner to the tool shop, the nearest turning tool shop is more than a days drive from here. My regular turning tools are mostly factory made tools bought on mail order.

I have "converted" axes, motor car engine push rods and welders chipping hammers, mostly for fun. Chinese high speed blanks are now available here in Australia, that is another source of HSS material. Round or square would depend on what tool is required.

Jim

Phil Hansen
24th May 2015, 10:01 PM
Thanks Jim,
Useful info. Not quite as isolated as you but still have to travel a distance to get anything.
Sorry but I think on rereading my post I did not ask the right question.
What I wanted to know was: If I made a carbide or oland type tool which type of shank would you prefer square, round or hex?
Square is limited in how the tool is angled to the work.
Round is infinitely variable.
Hex has a few angles to choose from.
Which would you prefer?
Hope this makes a bit more sense now.
Phil

Sturdee
24th May 2015, 11:23 PM
What I wanted to know was: If I made a carbide or oland type tool which type of shank would you prefer square, round or hex?

Phil

Phil,

I made a set of Oland type of tools and I used round pieces of old gal waterpipes. Sanded them smooth and clean on the lathe between centres with sand paper and screwed, and glued with epoxy,into the pipe a threaded rod which goes at least 150 mm into the handle for strength and rigidity.

They weigh a lot but are very easy to use.

Peter.

Paul39
25th May 2015, 09:43 AM
For those that have made their own turning tools (carbide or otherwise - not scrapers) Do you have a preference for square, round or hex bar stock?
I have made a few with square stock but wondered if round or hex would be preferable.
Thanks
Phil

My preferences for tools that are rotated is round. As for shear scraping. For scrapers flat bar. For Bedan type tools square. I have eased the edges on my skews so they don't nick the tool rest when I have the skew up on the edge.

These folks make a skew any way you would like:

http://www.hamletcrafttools.co.uk/skew-chisel.html

I don't think there is a right or wrong shape, whatever you prefer.

I have found a free source of round bar by dismantling scrapped copy machines and printers. They are ground and chrome plated, from 1/4 to 5/8 inch in diameter.

Drillit
25th May 2015, 11:08 AM
I think round bar is best, although I have not tried square/hex bar for this type of tool but otherwise
I fully agree with Paul 39. Drillit.

My preferences for tools that are rotated is round. As for shear scraping. For scrapers flat bar. For Bedan type tools square. I have eased the edges on my skews so they don't nick the tool rest when I have the skew up on the edge.

These folks make a skew any way you would like:

http://www.hamletcrafttools.co.uk/skew-chisel.html

I don't think there is a right or wrong shape, whatever you prefer.

I have found a free source of round bar by dismantling scrapped copy machines and printers. They are ground and chrome plated, from 1/4 to 5/8 inch in diameter.

hughie
26th May 2015, 10:38 PM
Phill I make around 50% of my own tools and use squared, hex and round depending on what I want it for. Its a bit of a personal choice and what steel you have to hand probably adds to it as well. :U

Phil Hansen
27th May 2015, 09:00 PM
Thanks all for the replies.
As was said a few times - it depends on your preference.
So it is time to try each. Going to start with the round as more easily available in the area.
Will see how it goes, will definitely be cheaper than imported tools.
Thanks
Phil

Colin62
28th May 2015, 04:58 AM
Braziers in Pietermaritzburg have some fairly cheap high speed steel pieces, next time you're in town. I just wish they were open on Saturday, I never seem to get in there during the week.

hughie
28th May 2015, 09:55 PM
Phil I use round for Oland type tools, it just easier to roll the tool over with a round bar.

Phil Hansen
29th May 2015, 10:02 PM
Braziers in Pietermaritzburg have some fairly cheap high speed steel pieces, next time you're in town. I just wish they were open on Saturday, I never seem to get in there during the week.
Went there today. They have the normal toolbits of which I have a few of the different sizes.
I thought you meant they had some old stock at old prices but Clive & I couldn't find anything hiding on the side.
Thanks anyway.
Phil

chuck1
30th May 2015, 11:01 AM
One thing with square and rectangle bars is you have more surface area of tool on the tool rest but harder to manipulate angle of cutting edge.
I have been experimenting with the round bright bar. And have shelved it for the moment.
i would be interested in how the hex bar might go, could be onto something!

Phil Hansen
31st May 2015, 10:52 PM
Got some 10mm, 12mm and 14mm round, square and hex.
When time permits will make one type in round, square and hex and try them out.
Will come back with my feelings when I have done the first set.
Phil

Phil Hansen
14th April 2016, 02:19 AM
Nearly a year but do have some feelings after some trial and error.
Not everyone will agree but I find the hex bar to my liking.
Easy to set and keep an angle and this is great in a deepish pot/bowl.
The round bar twisted and made control difficult.
The square bar is difficult to hold for a shear cut .
So in my opinion 14mm hex is the one.
I am sure there will be other opinions but these are mine.
Cheers
Phil

Christos
14th April 2016, 05:14 PM
After reading your post I guess what I am thinking a photo might be necessary.

Phil Hansen
14th April 2016, 11:01 PM
These are some of the tools without handles.
The bottom one (hex) is the one I now prefer.
I find it a good compromise between round and square.

Phil