PDA

View Full Version : Removing a stubborn stain re: toilet bowl

Pulpo
20th July 2005, 02:45 PM
The toilet bowl has a brown stain on the bottom.

The toilet is a couple of years old.

I have tried using a strong mixture of bleach, which was left to soak.

Then scrubbed to no effect.

It seems as though something has calcified on the bottom.

I need some sort of strong chemical that will not damage the toilet bowl enamel.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Many thanks

Pulpo

silentC
20th July 2005, 03:07 PM
It seems as though something has calcified on the bottom
I'd recommend a change of diet :eek:

You could try CLR Clear.

TassieKiwi
20th July 2005, 03:52 PM
I'd recommend a change of diet :eek:

You could try CLR Clear.
I've used soldering flux - 'Duzall' to good effect. Won't hurt the glaze, but attacks stains. Hydrochloric acid, methinks.

Gumby
20th July 2005, 04:29 PM
Do you have a a cat ?

Cover it with white king and hold it by the tail while dropping it in the bowl. All the thrashing around cleans the sides beautifully. When finished, release tail and flush. Bingo, no more stain, no more cat.

RufflyRustic
20th July 2005, 04:52 PM
Wanted - one cat........:rolleyes:

RR

Termite
20th July 2005, 05:11 PM
Do you have a a cat ?

Cover it with white king and hold it by the tail while dropping it in the bowl. All the thrashing around cleans the sides beautifully. When finished, realease tail and flush. Bingo, no more stain, no more cat.
What a waste of good food. :rolleyes:

mic-d
20th July 2005, 05:14 PM
I have two cats... that's very nasty Gumby :p You apologise right now. :D

Yep you need an acid. CLR or tile and grout cleaner or Coke or generic phosphoric acid will do. Pool acid (HCl) also will do...

Cheers
Michael

reybec
20th July 2005, 05:50 PM
ours is about 30 years old and has the same problem
i'm guessing maybe the enamel wears out over time
i bought a new bowl to solve the problemhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif

Sturdee
20th July 2005, 05:52 PM
Do you have a a cat ?

Cover it with white king and hold it by the tail while dropping it in the bowl. All the thrashing around cleans the sides beautifully. When finished, realease tail and flush. Bingo, no more stain, no more cat.

Finally a good reason to get a cat. :D :D :D

Peter.

Ashore
20th July 2005, 06:09 PM
Your toilet bowl can be re-enameled if you do this in a brown colour you can save a fortune on cats, white king, CLR and other cleaners

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

reybec
20th July 2005, 06:13 PM
Your toilet bowl can be re-enameled if you do this in a brown colour

makes finding floaters & skidmarks a bit more difficulthttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

bitingmidge
20th July 2005, 06:42 PM
If you use the cat method, run it through the washing machine to get rid of the chemicals before tying it in the crab-pot!

Or you could just try a heavy dose of Oxalic Acid instead of bleach.

Cheers,

P

Mick C.
20th July 2005, 06:47 PM
Me thinks a stick and a half of dynamite, alla Myth Busters monday night, definatly no more stain! in the toilet bowl ;)

Ashore
20th July 2005, 06:50 PM
makes finding floaters & skidmarks a bit more difficulthttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif
and what do you do with them when you find these treasures ???

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon12.gif
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon12.gif
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

ptc
20th July 2005, 06:52 PM
Poor old Moggy.
my B and C thinks you are not nice people.

Auld Bassoon
20th July 2005, 07:07 PM
Do you have a a cat ?

Gumby, you buggerhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

Damn nearly spilt my Shirazhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon9.gif

I'm still hooting over this. One greenie to Gumby coming uphttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon7.gif

Cheers!

echnidna
20th July 2005, 07:34 PM
Put half a cup of caustic soda flakes in it and let it work overnight.
OR
If the stain is definately calcium buildup a very weak acid will work but can also eat the glazing away.

Both of these things are not great for septic tanks.

ptrott
20th July 2005, 07:46 PM
B 4 trying any of these acid and caustic treatments, please for the sake of the environment try some Sterident tablets (any good supermarket has them, and chemist also) I have used these for removing some pretty horrible stains from various things over the years. They work great in Thermos flasks where you cant easilly get anything in there to scrub.

ozwinner
20th July 2005, 08:03 PM
!!

We need a domestic science forum...

Al :p

echnidna
20th July 2005, 08:05 PM
yeah,... we could all experiment on Al :D

Gumby
20th July 2005, 08:07 PM
yeah,... we could all experiment on Al :D

You couldn't put Al in there, no hair :D

Auld Bassoon
20th July 2005, 09:48 PM
One greenie to Gumby coming uphttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon7.gif

Cheers!Gumby, mate, what can I say? the wretched system won't let me send you a greenie, it tells me that I must spread some more around first, so here's an IOYaG http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

Gumby
20th July 2005, 10:05 PM
such is life. I'm, waiting for my new dados, I might as well wait for a greeny too :(

helga
21st July 2005, 01:03 PM
In the last drought, we were doing if it's yellow let it mellow, and ended up with a stained bowl-bet you REALLY wanted to know that, but I got rid of it by pouring half a bottle of vinegar into bowl and leaving for half a day before scrubbing. unless you are on septic or composting, remember you're swimming and fishing in it.

johnc
21st July 2005, 11:40 PM
I used to have an Applied Chemicals granite cleaner which was an alkaline bleach I think. Horrible stuff but a table spoon of granules left in the bowl for half an hour then a quick brush and flush and the bowl was spotless no stains. Wish I'd thought of the cat though the method has merit.

Often wondered how many kilometres of pipe got cleaned as well but it wasn't meant to be that harmful once diluted.

JohnC

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd July 2005, 01:48 AM
The cat idea sounded good but didn't work for me. It seems that cats are agile and can climb up their own tails.

Anybody know how to get blood-stains outta plaster?

Sturdee
22nd July 2005, 09:35 AM
The cat idea sounded good but didn't work for me. It seems that cats are agile and can climb up their own tails.

Didn't you condition the cat first by keeping it in the freezer for an hour before use ? It needs that to make it a semi stiff brush. :D :D :D

Peter.

Gumby
22nd July 2005, 09:41 AM
In the last drought, we were doing if it's yellow let it mellow, and ended up with a stained bowl-bet you REALLY wanted to know that, .

We did the same but to save staining the bowl, we decanted it into a jar and put it in the fridge. Then the wife got the idea that to save even more water, we should do the same for number 2's. That went in the fridge too.

I won't talk about the night I had to cook spaggy bol and grabbed the wrong container when putting on the bolognaise sauce.

It wasn't pretty. :eek:

Theva
22nd July 2005, 09:57 AM
Seriously...

Leave ther cat alone;just bell it.

Try ZEST by Citrus Resources. It’s a commercial grade organic bathroom / washroom cleaner.

Contact tele 02 97480321. Recommended for regular use.

Cheers,
Theva

Pulpo
22nd July 2005, 01:08 PM
And I always thought the only good cat was a dead cat, I now stand corrected.

I was informed that hydraulic acid will eat the stain and then some, it could make the stain the preferable option if the enamel is eaten away as well.

This weekend the stain will be tackled and maybe even a cat or two.

Thanks for the ideas

Pulpo

Jacksin
22nd July 2005, 08:39 PM
Pulpo I had the same problem and replaced the pan a few months ago.

The new one already has a small stain way at the back of the water seal.

The only thing I can put it down to is the glazing is pretty poor these days, either incomplete or thin at best OR because they came out as a package from Caroma (pan and cistern for the price of the cistern only) I wonder if the pans are seconds??
Jack

johnc
22nd July 2005, 11:55 PM
Dunno about the spirits of salts option, but the stuff will not eat glass, so if the enamel is good no doubt a clean bowl will be the result but if not there could be some interesting pattens appearing at the bottom of the bowl.

Caliban
23rd July 2005, 01:03 AM
We did the same but to save staining the bowl, we decanted it into a jar and put it in the fridge. Then the wife got the idea that to save even more water, we should do the same for number 2's. That went in the fridge too.

I won't talk about the night I had to cook spaggy bol and grabbed the wrong container when putting on the bolognaise sauce.

It wasn't pretty. :eek:
Gumby
I tried to give you a greenie for the cat part, but wasn't allowed. So I also owe you a greenie. Tell me you're joking about the frozen no.2s.
Once the missus was really upset with me over something and wanted to make me a **** sandwich but chickened out. Instead she put hot english mustard about 5mm thick on the ham sanger. Lucky for me it was an old jar of mustard and had lost most of its bite. She actually asked if I liked it and was disappointed when I said it was nice. Then she told me about the intended poo sandwich.I treat her with the utmost respect now.

Gumby
23rd July 2005, 08:04 AM
Gumby
I tried to give you a greenie for the cat part, but wasn't allowed. So I also owe you a greenie. Tell me you're joking about the frozen no.2s.

I'm joking :D

I treat her with the utmost respect now.

A wise decision ;)

MarkV
30th July 2005, 08:34 PM
We inherited a stained bowl in our latest house. The missus just got me to bung in a Dishwasher tablet a couple of times last thing at night. Worked a treat

al2
31st July 2005, 02:50 AM
I had the same stubborn brown (what other color would it be?:D) stain-tried bleach, draino, toilet cleaners - no good. Did the trick with swimming pool acid (powder type) - leave it for half hr and then scrub with tiolet brush. Try about half mug - if still no good increase strength. Careful it even dissolves cement.

Pulpo
1st August 2005, 11:23 AM
The stain has been removed.

Not by any chemical substance, was going to use the hydrochorlic acid, but thought it could do more damage than good although in hindsight I doubt it.

Tried pool chlorine, no good, although did not try pool acid.

I used elbow grease, and chiped it away with a scrapper.

Still not sure why it occurred.

Cheers

Pulpo