PDA

View Full Version : How does this work ? Micrometer Carriage Stop.

auscab
31st May 2015, 10:32 AM
H, Im just wanting to know how these work ?
Is it a matter of making sure your belt slips when the saddle meets the stop?

Are they a handy thing to rely on ?

Rob

BobL
31st May 2015, 10:51 AM
I find mine very useful but only ever use it while driving the carriage manually.

pipeclay
31st May 2015, 02:51 PM
They are used to set a repeatable stop when traversing the carriage.

They are adjusted by turning the knurled spindle.

Cant see why you couldn't adjust your belts to slip if feeding under power to the micrometer stop,but the belts might not have enough tension to drive the chuck or the carriage feed.

Normally as already stated you would feed to within a close distance of the micrometer stop and then finish to length by manually feeding the carriage.

The other thing to weigh up would be what other damage may be caused if by some chance your belts don't slip.

cba_melbourne
31st May 2015, 04:18 PM
If you have a Hercus lathe (or a Southbend) with slotted leadscrew for the automatic feed, there is that star wheel at the apron. It is a slip clutch youst tighten it as much as necessary to make the saddle move. When it hits the (micrometer) stop, the clutch will slip. I only use it this way for light cuts. Otherwise you need to tighten the star wheel clutch too much, and then when the saddle hits the stop there is the risk of breaking out a chunk of the lathe bed where the stop is clamped to.

auscab
31st May 2015, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the good advice .

I asked you blokes first, The answers makes good sense.

Then later I came across it in The textbook of turning.

There is some nice gadgets of all sorts in that book to add to a lathe.
A 6 position saddle stop, as well the micrometer stop !

Rob