PDA

View Full Version : Turning on a treadle Lathe

DaveTTC
1st June 2015, 10:48 AM
Recently I started a new job Horsham , Victoria. This placed me near a new wood club. "Wimmera Woodturners Guild" (or something to that effect).

Last weekend they had an open day and I mentioned I had an old freadle lathe. rhey asked if I would bring it along and demonstrate. I did. This picture made rhe local paper close to an A5 size pic

Like many of my 15 plus lathes I have barely used this one previously. I was smart enough to ask for some soft timber.

Was on it for much of 6 hours and by the end of the day was making little drumsticks to give to the kids

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

dai sensei
1st June 2015, 11:52 AM
Cool :cool:

DaveTTC
1st June 2015, 11:56 AM
Here is another pic that was in the digital paper but not sure if it was in the pysical paper

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/31/f9423b999f1bedb9479162c74b8d8e17.jpg

My kids were there and helped from time to time with the threadle. There was sometimes 3 of us treadling together.

Samantha is 5. I have a sneaking suspicion she was riding the treadle 'up & down'. when it was just be and her man it was hard work. So is trying to get a friction burn on green timber particularly when turned down to a small section .

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

smiife
1st June 2015, 08:10 PM
Hi dave,
Well done , looks like you had a good work out
pedalling that all day:o

Oldgreybeard
1st June 2015, 08:11 PM
Hi Dave - So this is the secret to turning the barley twist peper grinder:p

Glad that you're settling into your new job, home and town.

Bob

DaveTTC
2nd June 2015, 09:22 AM
I would hate to try and do anything larger or detailed on it without someone else pedaling

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Cliff Rogers
2nd June 2015, 10:01 AM
I saw the title & came here expecting to see a picture of a big switch on the side of an old lathe. :D

hughie
6th June 2015, 02:08 PM
I saw the title & came here expecting to see a picture of a big switch on the side of an old lathe. :D

:U Not for me, I like my technology.

DaveTTC
7th June 2015, 01:19 AM
:U Not for me, I like my technology.
Must say an electric motor makes a huge difference

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Dalboy
7th June 2015, 04:42 AM
Looks great, I think my wife would throw a wobbler if I got one of those I take up enough room as it is according to her

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th June 2015, 04:45 PM
It looks like you had a good day, Dave. :2tsup:

The ol' treadlies are a heap of fun, aren't they? Well... once you get the hang of the whole synching the cuts with the foot motion deal. They also work a whole lot better with the really old school tools rather than modern chisels. eg. Hook & ring tools. One o' the reasons that Robin Wood can be so competitive against electron burners... along with his choice of wood.

Which reminds me... I've still gotta haul mine up here to NSW AND I still have to find me a tame blacksmith who'll knock me up a couple more hook tools... :think:

(Sadly, I suspect I'll have the time to knock together a quick pole lathe before I get to spin my old gal up again. :sigh:)

DaveTTC
17th June 2015, 11:01 PM
G'day Skew, yes indded they are fun. Sorry I did not reply earlier, only just found your post now. Not sure how I missed it at the time

Dave TTC

Keith_1
20th June 2015, 05:22 PM
Recently I started a new job Horsham , Victoria. This placed me near a new wood club. "Wimmera Woodturners Guild" (or something to that effect).

Last weekend they had an open day and I mentioned I had an old freadle lathe. rhey asked if I would bring it along and demonstrate. I did. This picture made rhe local paper close to an A5 size pic

Like many of my 15 plus lathes I have barely used this one previously. I was smart enough to ask for some soft timber.

Was on it for much of 6 hours and by the end of the day was making little drumsticks to give to the kids

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Gee Dave - do you have 15 lathes.

Where do you put them all ? :o

Regards

Keith

DaveTTC
20th June 2015, 05:52 PM
Ive only got three with me atm. Rest are in storage but they'll be in my shed in the next few months

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Keith_1
20th June 2015, 10:44 PM
Ive only got three with me atm. Rest are in storage but they'll be in my shed in the next few months

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Dave

Will have to catch up with you some time:2tsup:

Regards

Keith

DaveTTC
21st June 2015, 09:36 AM
Dave

Will have to catch up with you some time:2tsup:

Regards

Keith
Love too. Weekends are best atm

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Keith_1
21st June 2015, 10:01 AM
Love too. Weekends are best atm

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Will send a PM later today

Regards

Keith

MrPete
22nd June 2015, 11:49 PM
Treadle lathes come with bluetooth now?? :D

DaveTTC
22nd June 2015, 11:54 PM
Treadle lathes come with bluetooth now?? :D
Yeah since they first came out the delux models came with blue tooth. They would click with every revolution and you could calculate how fast you were going ;)

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art