PDA

View Full Version : Does it get any bigger, or better??

Phily
7th June 2015, 05:01 PM
We all have our favourites, but seriously is there anything better than green Manchurian Pear and a super sharp gouge? If so I'd love to hear about it because to me Manchurian is the ultimate. So good that I've turned blanks into shavings, and Only shavings out of the sheer joy of the silky smooth cut. So imagine my joy when I opened the front door the other week to find a note left by a neighbour - "large Manchurian Pear at the primary school, split in the storm, will be cut down". I burned rubber to get there even though it was only 200m up the road.

Large! It was HUGE !!!!!:oo: I was in near panic for 2 weeks waiting for the arborist to get there - in fear that someone else would hear of the prize. All came good last Friday. Two and a half trailer loads of large rounds hauled and carted. I was knackered! I could have collected heaps more but wanted to stay on the good side of the arborist (who after a contribution to the beer fund advised that he may have some other "interesting" timber coming up").

It freaks me out that if it hadn't been for my neighbour all of this would have been chipped. Check out the spalting!

Got me thinking though, how big do Manchurians grow and how old can they get?

dai sensei
7th June 2015, 06:28 PM
Great hall :2tsup:. I'm not familiar with timber, so it will be interesting how it dries/shrinks/cracks.

hughie
7th June 2015, 06:56 PM
[QUOTE=

Got me thinking though, how big do Manchurians grow and how old can they get?[/QUOTE]

According to Burkes Backyard they can grow to 20m or 60' :U get a few bowls out of that.

Phily
7th June 2015, 08:46 PM
Hey Hughie, how's it going? Haven't heard from you for a while. How did that 100yr old Holly go?

Dei Sensei, I've found the Manchurian to be really stable. In the past I've microwave dried very green timber with very little cracking or warping. The timber settles to a mix of cream with milk chocolate. The attached is a piece that I turned (with resin) within 2 weeks of felling and around 30 min total of defrost in the microwave (pic taken just now for this thread so no artistic composition & its an old piece so a bit knocked about!). If you find yourself heading to the NSW Southern Highlands let me know (-:

hughie
8th June 2015, 09:05 AM
Hey Hughie, how's it going? Haven't heard from you for a while. How did that 100yr old Holly go?

All good so far, very busy at work and home, so the turning took a few delays. Managed to get a couple off to AWTEX with some success.
Alas the Holly awaits :C But I have a couple good ideas for it so thats good.
Hows the construction going? and the fishing ? :U

Phily
8th June 2015, 09:35 AM
All good, but it sounds like we are both stranded on the planet NoTime. Want to go halves in a Tardis??

dai sensei
8th June 2015, 10:21 AM
.. If you find yourself heading to the NSW Southern Highlands let me know (-:

Where in the Southern Highlands are you?

Phily
8th June 2015, 02:15 PM
Dai Sensei, PM sent. Cheers