PDA

View Full Version : Dremel Tutorial

Yanis
11th June 2015, 10:25 AM
Some time ago I posted a Dremel tutorial written by Roberto Musica and edited by me. It is handy for people just getting into these tools and also contains some interesting info and hints for seasoned players.

There have been a lot of updates since that was written and I was looking at it the other day thinking that it needed a serious update. I will probably do that soon to take into account the new accessories and to do some more cleanup of the language.

Enjoy.

http://jmbh.org/DremelTute.html

Yanis
14th June 2015, 01:39 PM
I have made a significant update to the tutorial. I have added some additional material (especially on CBN) I have renamed many of the sections and updated the wording. Please have a read and let me know what you think. Always open to suggestions and recommended updates.

It seems to have a steady flow of traffic and is by far the most visited of my pages.

KBs PensNmore
14th June 2015, 06:32 PM
Thanks for this Yanis. Where it suggest that Working On Aluminium
Practically all bits get clogged with aluminum. Aluminum is soft and easily fills up the small spaces between the grinding particles or cutting teeth of your bits so that the bits cease to work. Cutters are hard to clean, but grinding stones can be cleaned with the Dressing Stone. Kerosene is normally used on metal working tools for aluminium. I've not tried it on the Dremel tool tips, but can't see why it wouldn't work.
Kryn

Yanis
15th June 2015, 10:37 AM
.... Kerosene is normally used on metal working tools for aluminium. I've not tried it on the Dremel tool tips, but can't see why it wouldn't work.
Kryn

Yes, I do mention Kero later but your are right, I will add that to this section.

alan09
25th June 2015, 02:44 AM
Yanis, thanks so much. My dad will be happy :)

Yanis
26th June 2015, 05:15 PM
Kerosene is normally used on metal working tools for aluminium. I've not tried it on the Dremel tool tips, but can't see why it wouldn't work.
Kryn

Added to that section.

Yanis
26th June 2015, 05:17 PM
Oh, and ... if someone can recommend a good background I would be much obliged. That old one is very 90s I'm afraid.

Sebastiaan56
29th July 2015, 08:34 AM
Great tutorial, thanks for sharing. As for backgrounds something very neutral. As I have a wide screen the text becomes very wide and more difficult to read. Maybe consider some text boxes.

Doug Hutcheson
26th November 2015, 07:27 PM
if someone can recommend a good background I would be much obliged. That old one is very 90s I'm afraid.Yanis, I strongly recommend dropping the background entirely. Plain black type on a white background is universally easy to read and does not have the problem of looking 'cute' on a page containing instructions and advice. The notebook page you are using at present is just distracting the eye from your excellent content. Just my $0.02

Yanis
27th November 2015, 11:15 AM
Yanis, I strongly recommend dropping the background entirely. Plain black type on a white background is universally easy to read and does not have the problem of looking 'cute' on a page containing instructions and advice. The notebook page you are using at present is just distracting the eye from your excellent content. Just my $0.02

Done - and yes - I agree, much better :U

Yanis
14th May 2016, 06:20 PM
I have made many revisions, corrections clarifications and amendments of the language to make it read better. I think I picked up most of the mistakes :) If anyone wants to proof it for me I would be much obliged. John

BobL
15th May 2016, 10:13 AM
Thanks for this Yanis. Where it suggest that Working On Aluminium
Practically all bits get clogged with aluminum. Aluminum is soft and easily fills up the small spaces between the grinding particles or cutting teeth of your bits so that the bits cease to work. Cutters are hard to clean, but grinding stones can be cleaned with the Dressing Stone. Kerosene is normally used on metal working tools for aluminium. I've not tried it on the Dremel tool tips, but can't see why it wouldn't work.
Kryn

Kero works great on Dremel tips but I find it very messy. Methylated spirits works almost as well and doesn't leave a mess. I got this tip from my BIL who is a boat builder.
Hard wax (just rub it along the work line and onto bits) also works really well and is not as flammable

KBs PensNmore
15th May 2016, 09:49 PM
I have made many revisions, corrections clarifications and amendments of the language to make it read better. I think I picked up most of the mistakes :) If anyone wants to proof it for me I would be much obliged. John

PM sent regarding spelling mistakes.
Kryn

FenceFurniture
15th May 2016, 09:58 PM
Kero works great on Dremel tips but I find it very messy.Just going outside the box a bit - how would chalking the Dremel grinder work - as you would a metal file for filing soft metals? Maybe it would just spray off with the high revs?

Yanis
16th May 2016, 10:10 AM
PM sent regarding spelling mistakes.
Kryn

Received and done. Thanks for the list.

John

Yanis
16th May 2016, 10:12 AM
Just going outside the box a bit - how would chalking the Dremel grinder work - as you would a metal file for filing soft metals? Maybe it would just spray off with the high revs?

Interesting. I agree it may be problematic on fast spinning bits.

John

crowie
16th May 2016, 10:19 AM
Thank you John for the Dremel Tutorials and there updates...much appreciated, Cheers, crowie

Yanis
27th November 2017, 04:18 PM
I have made a major re-write. I have made it more general removing most of the specific Dremel references. I have also added a new section on grit and done some major editing and some additional corrections.

homey
27th November 2017, 08:48 PM
Hi John,

I have just read through the whole thing. Very helpful indeed - thank you for this.

Brian

Yanis
1st December 2017, 04:15 PM
I have made some more edits and rewrites. Also added a reference section at the bottom.

Robson Valley
27th January 2018, 07:40 AM
Thanks. I read it twice. Felt pretty good = I've become aware of a lot of it over the years.
Ought to be packed with _every_ Dremel and clone.