PDA

View Full Version : what happened to AWTEX ???

smiife
13th June 2015, 08:14 PM
Hi guys,
Now that the awtex is over I was expecting a few posts
of photos people may have taken or some comments,
details etc !!! The awtex site has gone very silent and
no photos or updates...?.....????? What, s going on !!!!!!,,
Surely with an event like this where there is a lot of interest
worldwide the powers that be should be promoting AWTEX
at ever opportunity,
Is there anyone with some photos ?
Has anyone an insight what it was like ,,, for us not so fortunate
to attend!
I maybe out of line for my comments but i am sure someone
will tell me to pull my head in !:o

Nifty Nev
13th June 2015, 08:42 PM
Did you try http://awtex.com.au/
(http://awtex)

artful bodger
13th June 2015, 08:47 PM
Ok Smife.
We are all waiting for the punchline!.........

smiife
13th June 2015, 08:53 PM

Yeah , no follow up there !

Ok Smife.
We are all waiting for the punchline!.........

..?????? No punchline ...sorry:no:

artful bodger
13th June 2015, 11:29 PM
Well what about the post started 6th May by Soren.? 61 replies 3,389 views. Isn't that what we are talking about?

Sturdee
14th June 2015, 12:25 AM

It would help if you try the correct link for the AWTEX (http://awtex.com.au/) website.

As posted in another thread I had problems with my camera and the photos would not do justice to the entries but a DVD of all the entries can be purchased from AWTEX.

Meanwhile here is a link to Koonung Woodturners Guild website (http://www.koonungwoodturners.com/#!page6/c184i) showing entries submitted by club members for the exhibition that may be of interest.

Peter.

smiife
14th June 2015, 04:51 PM
Well what about the post started 6th May by Soren.? 61 replies 3,389 views. Isn't that what we are talking about?

Hi AB,
That was what I was trying to say all those views/replies....
Leading up to the weekend of awtex but now It, s over nothing !?
I just thought someone would have had some piccies !
perhaps you are not allowed to?
The AWTEX website has not been updated, so I guess
that was also my point !

It would help if you try the correct link for the AWTEX (http://awtex.com.au/) website.

As posted in another thread I had problems with my camera and the photos would not do justice to the entries but a DVD of all the entries can be purchased from AWTEX.

Meanwhile here is a link to Koonung Woodturners Guild website (http://www.koonungwoodturners.com/#!page6/c184i) showing entries submitted by club members for the exhibition that may be of interest.

Peter.

Hi peter,
Yeah I did try the AWTEX site but nothing new on there,
I also ordered a dvd but last year took quite a while to
receive It, will take a look at koonung site , thanks for info.

Sturdee
14th June 2015, 07:14 PM
Hi AB,
That was what I was trying to say all those views/replies....
Leading up to the weekend of awtex but now It, s over nothing !?
The AWTEX website has not been updated, so I guess
that was also my point !

A lot of those posts were because of uncertainty regarding the rule changes which were necessary because of the judging errors of last year and also the cost of interstate transport of entries. All valid points requiring attention.

Actually with the launch of the new website, which already showed the winners and scores, the site is updated ready for next year's competition. This year the committee uploaded photos on facebook (and I think twitter as well) during the show which was also a first.

Yes, it's over for the year and at the moment the committee is having a good rest and spending time with their families and maybe even do a bit of turning before coming together for a review of this year's exhibition. Well deserved as I'm aware that they have spent many nights and days leading up to and during the exhibition away from their families working for the good of the exhibition. Well done guys. :2tsup:

Peter.

Sturdee
14th June 2015, 07:26 PM
I just thought someone would have had some piccies !
perhaps you are not allowed to?

A few years ago there were quite a few photos posted on the forum by myself and others and we were criticized because the copyright ownership belongs to AWTEX. Although I did not have formal approval to post I had tacit approval and help from committee members when taking the photos so I was not worried about posting.

Since then I have obtained approval to post photos on this forum and have posted an eclectic number to publicize the exhibition every year since. Alas others have stopped posting photos, probably not wanting any problems or controversy.

As explained I did not post this year, although having permission, as the quality was not good enough.

I trust that explains the situation as to the lack of photos.

Peter.

Allan at Wallan
14th June 2015, 07:46 PM
I did not bother attending the Exhibition this year. After last year's
difficulties e.g. not being replaced within the appointed time as a
volunteer selling raffle tickets, and then being tapped on the shoulder
by an official discouraging me from taking photos as it was "detrimental
to the sales of DVD's".

Good luck to the organisers but don't count on me in future.

Allan

Mobyturns
15th June 2015, 08:02 AM
Actually with the launch of the new website, which already showed the winners and scores, the site is updated ready for next year's competition. This year the committee uploaded photos on facebook (and I think twitter as well) during the show which was also a first. Peter.

The new website looks great and has the results, and sales catalogues from the past several years competitions on there as well. The effort to put some of the AWTEX stuff up on FB was appreciated as well. I agree the committee has put in a lot of effort and as they are all volunteers we should be very thankful they have kept the comp alive for another year.

One slight caution, the entry form, rules & judging criteria posted for 2016 still have 2015 dates etc - so be warned they are probably only "place marker files" until they are revised and could possibly change. I got caught that way this year with the rule changes.

GRW
15th June 2015, 07:50 PM
Hi,
Sturdee is right, after the fuss some people made other years about posting photos, why would you bother, the DVD will be out soon.
I have never had any bother from anyone when I have taken photos. I suggest pieces you make prior to the show save them up and don't show at your club till after the show.
Thank You to the all the volunteers of the Woodturnng Exhibition,
Gordon

mick61
16th June 2015, 09:55 PM
What judging errors are you talking about?

mick61
16th June 2015, 10:52 PM
Here are my non winning entry`s

powderpost
18th June 2015, 01:24 PM
This was my entry in AWTEX this year. The photos are not mine. They are all the same bowl even though the colours are different, the photo in the centre is close to the true colours.

Jim

Oldgreybeard
18th June 2015, 06:13 PM
I had the opportunity to see this at the AWTEX exhibition. It is an absolutely stunning piece and worthy of the highest award.
Congratulations Jim. I only wish I had the skill and patience to make such a piece.

Bob

artful bodger
18th June 2015, 07:14 PM
This was my entry in AWTEX this year. The photos are not mine. They are all the same bowl even though the colours are different, the photo in the centre is close to the true colours.

Jim

Thanks for putting up the pictures. I was most interested to see a side view (middle pic) and find it a bit surprising that the middle pic is also closest to the true colours.
I hope you don't mind a few questions about it? if not, then....
What would you call it? , eg Bowl etc.
What is the rough diameter?(I'm guessing about 300mm), timbers used, glue,finish, etc.
How long did it take to make it?.
Gotta say you have nailed it with the joinery on the top half, it creates all sorts of optical illusions when you look at it. Bit like an "Escher" drawing....but in wood. Well done.

smiife
18th June 2015, 09:08 PM
QUOTE=mick61;187396]Here are my non winning entry`s[/QUOTE]

Hi mick,
It doesn, t matter It didn, t win , the point is you had a go !:2tsup:
Looks good and thanks for showing

This was my entry in AWTEX this year. The photos are not mine. They are all the same bowl even though the colours are different, the photo in the centre is close to

Hi jim,
Looks great mate, well deserved first prize !
A lot of work i would imaging has gone in to that !

powderpost
25th June 2015, 10:39 AM
I hope you don't mind a few questions about it? if not, then....
What would you call it? , eg Bowl etc.
What is the rough diameter?(I'm guessing about 300mm), timbers used, glue,finish, etc.
How long did it take to make it?.

NO I don't mind questions at all..
I call it a hollow form and it is 210mm diameter and about 140mm high. Timbers are, black bean, silver ash, and yellow walnut. I used Selleys "Tradesmans Choice". It is a cross linked, polyaliphatic pva, similar to aquadhere, but the exterior type. It is water resistant and sets harder making it ok for sanding. Finish was several hand rubbed coats of a sanding sealer followed with four sprayed coats of lacquer. Each coat was rubbed back progressively, with wet & dry paper from 400# up to 1200# then buffed with a mop. The wet & dry paper was used wet with a gentle rub on a cake of soap during use. It took me about four weeks to complete.

Actually I made four of them. After each one was finished, a flaw became obvious to me. This one is good but there is still room for improvement. The piece that finally went to Melbourne was in fact No. three.

These are photos I took before it went to Melbourne. They took some finding on my computer.

Jim

Soren
26th June 2015, 09:52 PM
Now that the exhibition for this year is over, the committee is having a 4 week break from affairs.
The webmaster has gone on a well earned break overseas, but promised to continue to update either the web site or the Facebook page as appropriate.
The committee will be meeting in August for a post-critique of this years exhibition, and as such, any comments would be greatly appreciated. Please post any constructive criticisms to [email protected], and be assured that suggestions will all be reviewed.
I extend my thanks to all exhibitors, attendees and volunteers, and can advise that both exhibit and attendee numbers were up on last year, which is encouraging for the future of the exhibition.

Looking forward to next year's exhibition, planning for which starts in earnest in September.
Any local volunteers willing to contribute, need only ask :-)

Soren

Mobyturns
27th June 2015, 08:32 AM
A lot of those posts were because of uncertainty regarding the rule changes which were necessary because of the judging errors of last year and also the cost of interstate transport of entries. All valid points requiring attention.
Well done guys. :2tsup:

Peter.

Cost of postage & survival of delicate items in the post is an issue for me. The Mashraybiah panel I took to Turnfest suffered minor damage on the flight so would have no hope with Aussie Post as a general parcel on the road for several days. Unfortunately we all have to make choices & in my camp we had slightly higher priorities with expenditure this year so AWTEX entries became a much lower priority. In my specific case I was ignorant of the new rule changes which would have made some of my entries controversial like my Mashraybiah panel shown at Turnfest, even if I reconfigured it with different timbers?? Next year looks good though.

smiife
27th June 2015, 10:04 AM
Thanks soren, look forward to 2016 AWTEX..:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Paul39
27th June 2015, 10:05 AM
Powderpost,

These are photos I took before it went to Melbourne. They took some finding on my computer.

Jim

Have you tried Picasa (https://picasa.google.com/)? I'm a retired commercial photographer who is still a digital photo nut. I have thousands of photos in my computer and use Picasa to keep track and adjust them. I am quite pleased how it works and it has enough adjusting capabilities so that I don't have to buy any version of Photoshop.

powderpost
27th June 2015, 03:10 PM
Powderpost, Have you tried Picasa (https://picasa.google.com/)? I'm a retired commercial photographer who is still a digital photo nut. I have thousands of photos in my computer and use Picasa to keep track and adjust them. I am quite pleased how it works and it has enough adjusting capabilities so that I don't have to buy any version of Photoshop.

Paul, the difficulty is not with the computer, but my lack of computer savy and patience. I would rather be in the shed. Thanks for the comments any way, it would seem I have to alter my ways?? :- :D

Jim