PDA

View Full Version : Advice on finishing with Minwax wipe on poly

Kimba
15th June 2015, 07:01 PM
Hi all,

Could you please give me some advice on finishing using Minwax Wipe on Poly - Gloss. I have made a set of Black Wood salt and pepper grinders and I have put about 10 coats of Minwax on them. They are still mounted on the lathe. Should I now polish them with EEE and then finish them with a coat of Shellawax Glow?

What do you think? Any advice?

Thank you in advance

GRW
15th June 2015, 07:33 PM
Hi Kimba,
I have used Minwax with reasonable success. I would wonder if you have ten coats on and you aren't yet happy, EEE cream might help. I have never had to do that.
On Jim Carrolls website there is a very methodical method to achieve a great finish as the photos show
I hope that may help you,

Gordon

Lyle
17th June 2015, 08:26 AM
How have you applied the wop? Have you sanded in between coats. What finish do you want, eg piano gloss, slightly matt???
I have achieved a mirror finish by fine sanding (wet and dry) to 1200 grit between coats.
I'd reckon if you have 10 coats of wop with fine sanding in between, then the choice of finish you will achieve now with the wax/buff will be up to you.
A mirror/piano top finish is not really good for handling as finger marks show and need to be wiped off. A slightly satin/matt is OK for handling. The tactileness of the object is a balance between looking really glossy and silky satin to the touch.

I might suggest that you take the job off the lathe to look at in the position it will be, that gives you a better perspective. Then you can decide.

A bit of a wishy-washy answer I'm sorry.

Lyle.

Mobyturns
17th June 2015, 04:29 PM
Hi Kimba,
I have used Minwax with reasonable success. I would wonder if you have ten coats on and you aren't yet happy, EEE cream might help. I have never had to do that.
On Jim Carrolls website there is a very methodical method to achieve a great finish as the photos show
I hope that may help you,

Gordon

Hughie's tips on using Minwax WOP are good. I have used WOP on smaller turnings for over 10 years as I did not want the expense of a spray outfit to use NC lacquer. On pieces with crisp detail the WOP tends to wick towards the edges and into Vee cuts etc so it pays to apply many very thin coats. I have never resorted to using EEE or buffing just rubbing between coats with OOOO steel wool.

Christos
17th June 2015, 05:25 PM
I have used wipe on poly to finish off pens from the lathe. I normally apply thin coats spinning by hand and take inside the house to allow to dry. I use gloss and normally only apply three coats minimum, which gives a satin finish and if I apply more coats the gloss starts to show.

I don't sand between coats as I found my application of the thin coats would be sanded off. This should indicate how thinly I apply the wipe on poly.

I have also used another brand of wipe on poly for some bowls off the lathe and found that I was applying a little heavier. For these I have tried waxing a couple of times but found that without a good buff the finish felt a bit tacky. I ended up using a mop in the drill press and yes on one occasion watched as the piece went flying across the room. :doh:

I guess what I am saying is that I have not completely given up on waxing but my technique is still under review.

Kimba
17th June 2015, 08:32 PM
Thank you for your answers. The pepper grinders are looking excellent. I am still unsure of weather I will polish them with EEE or steel wool at the end?

Kimba
17th June 2015, 08:34 PM
Hughie's tips on using Minwax WOP are good. I have used WOP on smaller turnings for over 10 years as I did not want the expense of a spray outfit to use NC lacquer. On pieces with crisp detail the WOP tends to wick towards the edges and into Vee cuts etc so it pays to apply many very thin coats. I have never resorted to using EEE or buffing just rubbing between coats with OOOO steel wool.

That finial box and spinning top are amazing !!!!!!

Mobyturns
18th June 2015, 12:12 AM
That finial box and spinning top are amazing !!!!!!

Thank you. The finial box was turned in 2006 & the top is similar vintage, still have both. The Minwax WOP does yellow slightly with age. Another of similar construction did well at AWTEX in 2009? but caused me a lot of grief with the WOP finish. I still use WOP occasionally but mostly use Wattyl Stylwood NC Lacquer 30% these days applied with a small & very inexpensive ($15) airbrush.