PDA

View Full Version : New commission

powderpost
18th June 2015, 11:07 AM
A month ago a lady presented me with a large lump of wood 500mm roughly square and about 250mm thick covered in dust and grime. She asked simply could I make a salad bowl out of it for her. I thought "What a hell of a salad bowl". A good wire brushing revealed a beautiful piece of Queensland maple. The chainsaw was used to roughly shape the block before turning. You might notice there is no glue and it is a tad bigger than the stuff I have been doing lately.

Jim

The block mounted and partly turned

Ironwood
18th June 2015, 11:25 AM
You're off to a good start there Jim. I will be watching with interest.

Rod Gilbert
18th June 2015, 07:04 PM
Great start Jim that should as you say turn out to be one hell of a salad bowl and a definite step away from you're usual work but I am sure will turn out to be another masterpiece. On another note I received a note from Noel Prowse from Julatten men's shed I am glad the spur drive worked out for them.
Regards Rod.

Sawdust Maker
18th June 2015, 08:11 PM
Finished yet?

and thanks for the glimpse of your shed!

Picko
18th June 2015, 08:21 PM
Oh, c'mon Jim.
I dare you to put a little laminated feature in the bottom. It won't be yours without it!

John

smiife
18th June 2015, 08:48 PM
Hi jim,
Looks like a big hunk of wood you have there
Is there a thread on the bottom of it .......:roflmao:
Seriously , looking good so far ,:2tsup:

Mobyturns
19th June 2015, 07:00 AM
Oh, c'mon Jim.
I dare you to put a little laminated feature in the bottom. It won't be yours without it!

John

Maybe a small medallion of your box lid inserts inset into the underside of the bowl? :D

Rod Gilbert
19th June 2015, 09:00 AM
Hi Jim,
What speed were you running this one at really interested to know.
Regards Rod.

Christos
19th June 2015, 01:44 PM
This is going to be a cool one to watch.

powderpost
21st June 2015, 11:18 AM
Hi Jim,
What speed were you running this one at really interested to know.
Regards Rod.
I was flat out lifting the damn thing onto the lathe. Fixed a face plate to what will be the top and turned it outboard until it fitted inboard. Then glued a face plate and waste block to the bottom. Now waiting for the glue to set properly, no rush. I don't fancy wearing the damn thing. It was turning at about 180 rpm until it became round and balanced the increased to about 250 rpm. I intend to use a bowl saver to turn out inside in one piece. It really is a beautiful piece of timber, to nice to put on the floor as shavings. It is a long time since I did a job like this one. The largest bowl I have done was a natural edge silky oak buttress about 750mm diameter.

Jim

Rod Gilbert
21st June 2015, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the information Jim looking great so far you're right it would be a shame to loose the centre of this beautiful piece to shavings much better if you can get the centre out to play again another day.
Regards Rod.

Woodturnerjosh
21st June 2015, 03:39 PM
I can't wait to see the finished piece! Looking good!

Paul39
24th June 2015, 01:45 AM
Powderpost,

Looking very nice!!

Is your green lathe a Woodfast? What age, swing, and model?

Here is mine, 20 inch swing short bed. Hand wheel, face plate, and tail center were rusted in place, but I had to have a go on it before making space in the shed.

powderpost
24th June 2015, 09:23 AM
Powderpost, Is your green lathe a Woodfast? What age, swing, and model?

Paul, yes it is a Woodfast 908 lathe, 1989 model. I have fitted an after market Woodfast electronic speed control unit. I have converted all my face plates to have both left and right hand threads. Very handy for larger jobs.

Jim

Rod Gilbert
25th June 2015, 07:05 AM
Jim where did you get the after market Woodfast electronic speed control unit I have looked at the woodfast site and cannot find any info and would like to look at something like this for my old tough lathe.
Regards Rod.

powderpost
25th June 2015, 09:47 AM
Jim where did you get the after market Woodfast electronic speed control unit I have looked at the woodfast site and cannot find any info and would like to look at something like this for my old tough lathe.
Regards Rod.

Rod, it is a Woodfast unit purchased from Woodfast more than 20 years ago. You may need to ring them?

Jim

StevenManos
25th June 2015, 08:53 PM
Rod, it is a Woodfast unit purchased from Woodfast more than 20 years ago. You may need to ring them?

Jim

Yep, just call them, last time i spoke to them they quoted ~ $1K for a new motor + speed control unit for my 1981 woodfast lathe.

Steven.

Mobyturns
26th June 2015, 08:18 AM
Yep, just call them, last time i spoke to them they quoted ~ $1K for a new motor + speed control unit for my 1981 woodfast lathe.

Steven.

To the best of my knowledge my M908 was the first with the new M910 VS unit set up for me by Bronte Edwards back in 2008 after I pestered Bronte. That was about $1300 then but well worth it.

If its now $1k I think its well worth the money to re-power an older good Aussie made belt change Woodfast M908 or M910 or even an older Vicmarc.

Sorry Jim, back to topic. :wink:

That bowl is looking great. How long do you think you will have it around? May have to plan a little drive to come have a peek.

powderpost
26th June 2015, 07:46 PM
Got good news and some not so good. Found some fine end grain cracks in the block. Because it is to be a functional bowl, I am apprehensive about making repairs. The lady involved has left it to my discretion. Started cutting the middle (bowl saving) out with my old Sorby tool I bought many years ago, and haven't used it for many years either. :rolleyes:

How long do you think you will have it around? May have to plan a little drive to come have a peek.

Could be a while Geoff, got any dates in mind?

Jim

artful bodger
26th June 2015, 08:18 PM
Damn cracks!, always a problem on solid blank bowls. Suspected a bit of a hesitation in progress here.
At the risk of "teaching your grandmother to suck eggs", taping up the outside of the bowl with lots of tape will usually contain projectiles.
Guess you already knew that though?
Watching with interest.

Mobyturns
26th June 2015, 08:54 PM
Could be a while Geoff, got any dates in mind?

Jim

Will get in touch. Can't be next week as we have to many staff away with school holidays. :(

I noticed the cracks in the first pics you posted & hoped they weren't too deep. Now you have an excuse to use glue :D Some nice pewa patches should look good.

powderpost
26th June 2015, 10:53 PM
Damn cracks!, always a problem on solid blank bowls.

That is one reasons I do a bit of cutting and gluing now.. :wink: :D

[QUOTE=artful bodger;1876732 At the risk of "teaching your grandmother to suck eggs", taping up the outside of the bowl with lots of tape will usually contain projectiles. Guess you already knew that though?[/QUOTE]

Don't let that worry you, I am sure there are a few people watching will benefit from comments like that. I probably take too much for granted. Your comment, certainly does not bother me. :2tsup:

Jim

powderpost
28th June 2015, 05:04 PM
Well there is more good news and bad news.. :U. Went as far as the Sorby Stewart system would let me go. Had to keep reminding myself that this blank is a bit bigger than a "normal" or sensible size. I borrowed a Woodcut bowl saver, first time I have used one, and attacked the lump again. It became obvious that the bowl saver wasn't designed for this size job so I had to re-asses my goal. Finally using a combination of the Woodcut and the Stewart tool, I finally saved a reasonable sized lump of maple. Wasn't as big as I had hoped to save. The "lump" is 300mm x 110mm, I reckon it was better than converting all that lovely wood into shavings. It was an interesting experience, with only two changes of jocks.. :C :D. Tomorrow will see some work on the original bowl. Time to watch the football and relax.

Jim

DaveTTC
28th June 2015, 05:17 PM
How would the McNaughton jig go on a larger bowl. I have not seen one in the flesh but like the concept

Well done on doing what you ve done

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Sawdust Maker
28th June 2015, 09:12 PM
... It was an interesting experience, with only two changes of jocks.. :C :D. Tomorrow will see some work on the original bowl. Time to watch the football and relax.

Jim

I believe they are on special at DJ's this week

Well done, at least you saved a bit

powderpost
2nd July 2015, 08:59 PM
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-AU</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:DontVertAlignCellWithSp/> <w:DontBreakConstrainedForcedTables/> <w:DontVertAlignInTxbx/> <w:Word11KerningPairs/> <w:CachedColBalance/> </w:Compatibility> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="&#45;-"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> This sounds a bit silly but, I am retired but cannot getting into the shed as often as I want. Spent the day working on that bowl. Queensland maple is notorious for tearing on the end grain. Had to take time off to make a bent tool rest for the inside. Took most of the day finely shear scraping to get past the tear out. Then about an hour with power sanding before knock off time. Bit more sanding in the morning followed by wax applied to the inside. There is a few fine end grain cracks that are shallow plus another crack on the left hand side. Rubbed some epoxy into the cracks and sanded off the residue. Next few days are committed to other activities, so it can thoroughly cure before the next attack.

Jim

DaveTTC
4th July 2015, 10:04 AM
Looking fine. Awaaiting next installment

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

powderpost
9th July 2015, 11:09 AM
Well the bowl is finished. It measures 400mm diameter and 200mm deep. I have been assured that it will be used as a salad bowl. Because it is to be a functional bowl, I finished it with beeswax. It had two hand rubbed coats, and now my right arm is ready for the discus event at the next Olympic games. :D Still haven't played with the piece of maple saved from the inside, that could be the next exercise. I have been told that I am not yet done with and that there is an even larger bowl to be made from a large piece of red cedar, that has not yet been cut.
There was a dare offered back a bit about a bit of inlaying, well I took up the challenge, there is an insert in the bottom.

Jim

DaveTTC
9th July 2015, 01:38 PM
Looks mighty fine. Love the insert too

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Woodturnerjosh
9th July 2015, 06:28 PM
Looks great!

Picko
9th July 2015, 06:36 PM
Very nice bowl Jim, and that inlay is just magnificent. I didn't think you'd be able to resist the challenge.

Rod Gilbert
9th July 2015, 07:12 PM
Stunning bowl Jim I love that section of crushed grain in the side of the bowl you must be pleased with the result you have achieved and you're makers mark in the bottom is a nice touch again well done.
Regards Rod.

smiife
9th July 2015, 08:47 PM
Hi jim,
Your bowl looks great , I bet you breathed a sigh of
relief when that was finished, well done :2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
9th July 2015, 08:53 PM
Couldn't stop yourself could you!

great looking bowl :2tsup:

powderpost
9th July 2015, 09:22 PM
Couldn't stop yourself could you!

Nope... :p :D

Jim

Faulko
10th July 2015, 07:09 PM
fantastic bowl. really like the form and finish. beautiful wood. gotta be happy with that.:2tsup:

Christos
10th July 2015, 07:19 PM
It has been a great pleasure to follow this work in progress. Nice touch on the bottom.

powderpost
21st July 2015, 09:32 PM
Been into the piece I cut out of that big salad bowl. The photos are from the top or smaller of the two. Unfortunately the screws that held the big block on the lathe penetrated further than I thought and I could not get past the holes. As it is, it is only 4mm thick. The holes are visible in the first photo. This one 205mm diameter and about 50mm deep. I will give it another coat of lacquer and buff it to a nice finish. They don't photograph well with a full gloss and the grain is too nice to hide. No, there is no inlay in the bottom, well not yet any way.. :D

Started on the next one, the larger of the two from the saved block, this afternoon. I think the grain is even better in this one.

Jim

Rod Gilbert
21st July 2015, 09:41 PM
You are absolutely correct the grain is stunning and you're work is as always beautiful,nice shape and very well executed. Well done!!!:2tsup:
Regards Rod.

powderpost
21st July 2015, 10:01 PM
You are absolutely correct the grain is stunning

Thanks Rod, just wait until you see the next one...

Jim

dai sensei
22nd July 2015, 12:02 AM
Yep certainly a nice chunk of timber and well turned & finished :2tsup:.

Rather than just leaving the holes from the screws, did you consider using a chisel to make a deliberate scare and then backfill with something like brass to make them a feature?

Sawdust Maker
22nd July 2015, 09:58 AM
spectacular grain and a very pleasing shape :2tsup:

powderpost
22nd July 2015, 08:57 PM
Yep certainly a nice chunk of timber and well turned & finished :2tsup:.

Rather than just leaving the holes from the screws, did you consider using a chisel to make a deliberate scare and then backfill with something like brass to make them a feature?

Thanks Neil, an interesting idea, I will give that some thought before the final coat.

Jim

Paul39
23rd July 2015, 02:01 AM
Thanks Neil, an interesting idea, I will give that some thought before the final coat.

Jim

Another alternative would be to drill blind holes and insert contrasting color dowels, sand flush and finish.

DaveTTC
23rd July 2015, 07:37 AM
Enjoying the thread

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

powderpost
26th July 2015, 07:52 PM
Job done. Got to finish off the second bowl. The smaller one appeared here before, but they look ok here together. There's not much difference between the grain patterns, but I think the larger bowl has much better. I think it was a good move to save some of this wood, rather than turn it all into shavings on the floor. Didn't bother with inserts in the bottom and after much thought, and I decided not to do any work on the screw holes in the smaller bowl.

Jim

DaveTTC
26th July 2015, 07:54 PM
They make a stunning set Jim. You must be pleased

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

powderpost
26th July 2015, 07:56 PM
They make a stunning set Jim. You must be pleased

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Yes Dave. I am satisfied, that doesn't happen very often though.

Jim

Rod Gilbert
26th July 2015, 08:17 PM
Glad to hear you say you are satisfied that means a lot, the hardest critic is usually you're self and to please you're self is a great success well done as there is 3 beautiful bowls out of this piece of timber that could have easily been 1 bowl and a huge pile of shavings, well done Jim you have achieved the ultimate in having pleased yourself I say this with great respect of you're work.
Regards Rod.:2tsup:

smiife
26th July 2015, 08:18 PM
Hi jim,
They both look great, well done:2tsup:

CAG
1st August 2015, 09:54 AM

Did anyone else notice the tree in the larger bowl?

Awesome work Jim.

DaveTTC
1st August 2015, 11:03 AM

Awesome work Jim.
I did now

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

powderpost
1st August 2015, 10:49 PM

Awesome work Jim.

Well, that's a revelation, I didn't pick that up until you pointed it out.... thanks :2tsup:. I just now went and had a look at the bowl, and there it was.. :oo:

Jim

CAG
2nd August 2015, 06:41 PM
Geof Ford!!! Long time, no see. I will PM you.

coffenup
3rd August 2015, 10:08 PM
nice job there Jim
Regards Michael