PDA

View Full Version : Kodak Optical Comparator

.RC.
19th June 2015, 03:25 PM
Here is the optical Comparator I picked up on ebay, only a block away from the slideway grinders..

I thought I might share my Kodak Moments :D:D

It is a Kodak Model 3, which I think has a more simplified table design then the Model 2.. From what I can gather these comparators are very common in the US and were made in great numbers around WW2 and onwards by Kodak, Excello and then Optical Gaging Company... A 14" screen and screen parts are still available from OPG today..

It also has a built in surface illumination and as an option mine does not have a horizontal surface illumination..

The machine is quite large, all cast iron base and upper, is on wheels and has screw down feet..

It has a rotary magnification from 10X to 100X.. Mine only came fitted with 10X and 20X... Other magnification lenses seem to be available on US ebay for under $20 each if you are prepared to wait...

I have not yet cleaned it up properly, but gave it a test firing after putting it in the clean room that is rather dirty at the moment :D

Here is an image of a used Ridgid chaser die 5/8 11 whitworth thread 20X magnification...

Surface illumination picture which I probably have not used it properly...

Picture of the OPG table

I will eventually clean it up, maybe get some more lenses eventually and a tiny DRO would be a nice feature... Looks to be a handy addition...

KBs PensNmore
19th June 2015, 03:41 PM
Looks like a useful bit of gear, putting a tool under it will make a sharp edge look blunt. I could do with one for reading micrometers :rolleyes:.
Kryn

.RC.
20th June 2015, 09:32 PM
I have cleaned up the work table and got it running smoothly... I can say that it is not swiss quality but no doubt adequate for the job..

The base runs on small ball ways, in and out and it spring loaded, this is to position the tool for focus... None of the ways are hardened, and the flat portion of the ways are just bolt on strips of mild steel that were well dented, a quick lick with the surface grinder sorted that out, only took off 0.1mm to clean it up..

Cleaned the rest of the parts up and surface ground the top of the table to make it nice and shiny... It all works smoothly now, just needs tooling....

Anorak Bob
21st June 2015, 10:34 AM
Hi Richard,

I'm surprised the table isn't fitted with micrometer heads for X and Y measurement. You could possibly rig up a pair of dial indicators as an economical alternative to a DRO.

They are a handy bit of gear, being able to measure with them, even more so.

Bob.