PDA

View Full Version : Angle of Cutter for Deep Hollowing

Kidbee
19th June 2015, 07:45 PM
My Vermec Ultimate Deep Hollowing System has arrived and being a complete novice to deep hollowing I have been carefully reading the instructions which says "Important- The cutter should always be on a 30 to 45 degree angle".

I guess that is to prevent a catch or dig-in and the round cutter makes more of a shearing cut.

What has me confused is that when you view Guilio Marcolongo using one on a brief Youtube presentation he appears to be using it without that angle because the side handle on the tool handle is horizontal. When he stops the machine and replaces the cutter with the sanding head in the correct position, the handle is still horizontal which demonstrates he was using the cutter without the suggested angle; if that makes sense.

I know a number of members own this type of Hollowing System and may be able to offer some advice.

http://youtu.be/7B-68Wr9kRA

Rippa
20th June 2015, 01:25 AM
I don't own one of them but have borrowed and used one a couple of times but as far as I know you can move the handle on the main shaft so as to suit the angle you want at the tip. Which he may have done on the U tube video without saying.
Cheers Rippa

Kidbee
20th June 2015, 09:00 AM
I don't own one of them but have borrowed and used one a couple of times but as far as I know you can move the handle on the main shaft so as to suit the angle you want at the tip. Which he may have done on the U tube video without saying.
Cheers Rippa

Yes, the handle is adjustable and they may have done what you said. When you were hollowing did you set the side handle to be horizontal when the cutter was at the correct angle?

Drillit
20th June 2015, 05:28 PM
I don't think that Guilio would have used it horizontal, even when he cuts upside down on the right hand side of the piece.
I feel sure it would be tilted between 30-45 (downwards)to get the sweet spot and avoid the danger of a catch. The Vermec handle is
adjustable as others have said. He also says that the vertical handle gives the best control. Drillit.

Rippa
20th June 2015, 11:58 PM
I set the handle below horizontal which made it more comfortable to work. I don't think I would like vertical as Drillit said as it would make it hard to see inside the hollow form

Cheers Rippa

smiife
21st June 2015, 06:16 PM
Hi kidbee,
Not sure if it will help but I marked the shaft on mine and there
is a flat part where the grub screw goes
and then got the angle right by adjusting the handle accordingly
Have included a couple of pics,
very easy to use you will have hours of fun, I tend to get carried
away when hollowing and have gone too thin:o busted out the side
a few times!!!!
Hope this help

Kidbee
21st June 2015, 08:05 PM
Thanks Smiife,

Have you been hollowing green or dry timber and have you done much end grain stuff? Have you any photos to share?

Pleased to hear you say it is fun. I am yet to give it ago. Vermec makes quality lathe accessories and I was pleased to read that the handle can also take most unhandled P & N chisels, which is a bonus.

Drillit
22nd June 2015, 10:30 AM
I don't think that Guilio would have used it horizontal, even when he cuts upside down on the right hand side of the piece.
I feel sure it would be tilted between 30-45 (downwards)to get the sweet spot and avoid the danger of a catch. The Vermec handle is
adjustable as others have said. He also says that the vertical handle gives the best control. Drillit.

Just to clarify what I have said. I have not found the vertical side handle a problem for cutting or viewing, on the basis that the vertical handle is set so that the
cutter is in the zone at 30-45 degrees, if that makes sense. In other words with the handle vertical, the cutter is adjusted to be at the correct cutting angle.
As others have said, at the end of the day, the main thing is that you enjoy it - having fun is the only reason that we turn me thinks. Otherwise
why bother. Drillit.