PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Hinge Bits

Gwhat
22nd July 2005, 06:45 PM
For those dedicated Incra users who have been chasing the bits to suit the Incra Wooden Hinge plans, I can now let you know that the first of the Whiteside 8 piece sets (1/2" shank) have arrived along with new stocks of the 6 Piece Dovetail / Box Joint sets (1/4" & 1/2" shanks).

Check out the web-site, the latter are already up, and the Hinge Sets will be up over the weekend.

Regards

The Woodpecker
www.woodpeckers.com.au

powderpost
23rd July 2005, 11:20 PM
I make trinket and jewellery boxes with wooden hinges and a wooden latch. The boxes have either 1/8" or 1/4" finger joints, depending on the size of the box. The hinges are set flush into the box. The boxes have 3/8" walls and 5/16" thick hinges. I use tooth picks for hinges, but if I need darker pins I make them by cutting thin square timber and driving it through an appropriate size hole bored through a piece of 1/4" steel. The only real trap is that both the box and the lid has to have a 45 degree bevel not less than half the thickness of the hinge. The housing for the hinge is done with a router the aid of a jig. I will post some pictures when I work out how. There are some photos of finished boxes on my web site. The holes for the pins were a problem until I started using brad point drills.
Jim

graemecarson
24th July 2005, 08:42 PM
Can't wait to see the hinge bits on the website. If they're the same quality and work out near the price per unit of Whitesides Incra dovetail bit set they'll be a great buy at just over $30 each. I'm wrapt in my 1/2 inch Dovetail set.

junkboy999
24th July 2005, 08:43 PM
Chippy ( Jim )

Hey can you post a Pic of one of your boxes hinges. the only hinge I made never made it to a Box :)

powderpost
24th July 2005, 10:47 PM
G'day Terry, Everytime I try to post photos here I stuff up. What I can do is take some photos and post them on my web site for you.
Jim

junkboy999
25th July 2005, 07:09 PM
Kool just post the link. I'm Trying out a free photo hoasting sight called photobucket.com to put my pic's on. That way my web space has just pages and thumb nails that are linked to photobucket. Saves me space.:)