PDA

View Full Version : African Olive - any good for turning?

Peter57
21st June 2015, 05:20 PM
I have a friend with a number of African olive trees on his property that need to be removed. Is the timber any good for turning?

thanks,
Peter

China
21st June 2015, 05:25 PM
The best way to find out if a particulsr timber is suitable for turning is to mount a piece in the lathe and see what happens

dai sensei
21st June 2015, 05:50 PM
Short answer is yes. Try and get the root balls as well as the main tree, often the best grain is in the bits below ground.

wheelinround
21st June 2015, 05:57 PM
You could easily pass on a bit to me and I'll test it for you your not to far away at Razorback :D

Good score its real nice to turn smells divine.

Peter57
21st June 2015, 06:13 PM
Looks like I'll be helping my mate then :U:U. He was going to dry it for firewood because it burns well. I'll get a good stash.

Cheers,
peter

wheelinround
21st June 2015, 06:46 PM
Looks like I'll be helping my mate then :U:U. He was going to dry it for firewood because it burns well. I'll get a good stash.

Cheers,
peter

:)( NO quick go:smack: tell him its not good for his health ..........he'd have a 1000 woodies making effigies of him :;

Don't forget photos ...........please just to wash my eyes mind you :C

Paul39
22nd June 2015, 04:50 AM
Pic from a local dealer:

http://www.cormarkint.com/wp-content/uploads/Int_Swatch_Olivewood_b-150x150.jpg

Olive wood bowl blank prices here, USA:

https://www.westpennhardwoods.com/catalog/Olivewood-Bowl-Blanks.aspx?guid=0e13a814-85eb-47b6-9169-531b9c84747b

Peter57
22nd June 2015, 10:57 AM
Maybe I can spin some income to support by debilitating and expensive habit :roll:

Christos
22nd June 2015, 04:22 PM
.....He was going to dry it for firewood because it burns well.....

When I sometimes run across logs I find that after cutting them. especially for the lathe I have some very odd pieces. These odd pieces(thin and cracked) is what I pass on to a fellow who uses them as firewood.

I would suggest that you mention this to your friend so that he knows the waste will go back to him.

turnerted
22nd June 2015, 05:09 PM
A beautiful timber .The little bit of it that I have turned had even more prominent grain than the olive tree that you get olives off, of which I have turned heaps . Get it cut down the pith ASAP as olive tends to split like mad.
Ted

Sebastiaan56
28th June 2015, 08:02 AM
Super sharp tools, prone to crack, finishes beautifully. My source is Razorback as well. It is a localised pest problem there so use as much as you can get your hands on. I found it much easier when it is three quarters dry rather than fully dry FWIW.

It is not like the food olive and the timber is very different to work. We have tried pickling the fruit but it is a waste of time.