PDA

View Full Version : Lathe duplicator/copy lathe query

Stewey
23rd June 2015, 03:29 PM
Hi Folks,
I've seen occasional old 'duplicators' that can turn cabriole legs, and other non circular items. I've seen occasional new home-made versions - one with an angle grinder using a 4" circular chainsaw carving type blade, and one using a 6-1/2" circular saw - each moved along from left to right drawn by a nut on a bit of long threaded 12mm rod.
There was a rocker affair that has a wheel that followed a slowly rotating original sample, and that allowed the timber blank or the saw blade to move up and down in and out of the blank as it slowly rotated.

I was wondering if anyone might have one they'd care to share some design tips from, as I'd like to make myself one?
Thanks in advance!
Ian

tore
23rd June 2015, 08:01 PM
Hi
Have a look at this. I have absolute no interest in the lathe just found it yesterday
Cheers
Tore

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Axe-Handle-Ober-wood-copy-Lathe-/261938659972?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3cfcc2c284

Stewey
23rd June 2015, 08:35 PM
Thanks, I am aware of that one - and I'd dearly love to have it and could put it to some useful tasks here...
but it's abouy 1000 km south of us, and probably a good half a ton heavy and a bit over 8 ft long, so 'collection' if I were lucky to win it, would still add a considerable amount to the total...

that's why I was asking about modern home-made equivalents! :)

Thanks for trying to help.
I wonder who else might bid on it ahead of me - it's a lovely old piece that would go well here with our humongous bandsaw, thicknesser and chain & chisel mortiser... besides which I'd be using it to make horse-drawn waggon spokes.

dogcatcher
27th June 2015, 04:27 PM
Do some research on "fishing lure duplicators". They are smaller versions of what you are looking to find, bit the size will transfer to larger items. Here is a You Tube. https://youtu.be/Pe4-qlxmeR8 After that research wood carving and gunstock duplicators, this is the size you are looking for.

Stewey
27th June 2015, 04:37 PM
Thanks for that! I'll take a look,

(though I thought I'd exhausted Mr Google's suggestions already!)

Stewey
28th June 2015, 10:14 PM
Well we missed out - I was briefly the highest bidder going into the 45 seconds to go, mark.
Still, I'd set a price, such that by the time I'd added $350 in fuel + 2 days driving down & back, well, I think I can build somethng equally effective with what we have on hand...

Hardenfast
30th June 2015, 09:29 PM
Well we missed out - I was briefly the highest bidder going into the 45 seconds to go, mark.
Still, I'd set a price, such that by the time I'd added $350 in fuel + 2 days driving down & back, well, I think I can build somethng equally effective with what we have on hand...

You'll be pleased to know that the copy-lathe is going to a good home/shed, Stewey. Mine! Great way to bid, those "Sniper" applications! Unlike you I'm only around 70-80 minutes away from where it's located and will pick it up tomorrow.

I was happy with the $640 end price, but the interesting thing is that the guy has another identical machine that has been dis-assembled, and I'm going to grab that one as well. For an absolute bargain price! :cool:

He says that everything is there for the 2nd machine, including the 3 motors, and that he bought the 2 of them some time ago for $1,400.00. I look forward to getting my shed finished to start using some of this great equipment that I've been stockpiling.

Wayne

Stewey
30th June 2015, 09:49 PM
WOW! You lucky thing! :)

I'm not the type to get jealous, but it sounds like you scored a big goal there!

How many axe handles do you think it'll take to fix the Aussie economy? I mean if more people started using them, we'd need less chainsaw fuel, and fewer imported chainsaws, and wd have all the raw products of axes here - timber and steel. Plus fewer people would need to go to the gym like so many young townies seem to do...

And if you ever feel inclined to part with the bones of duplicator #2, please let me know!