PDA

View Full Version : Asparagus in a box

pjt
28th June 2015, 01:03 AM
I put some 2 year old asparagus in some boxes last winter with the intention of having a permanent place ready for them this winter, well, that didn't happen:( so I'll replant them back into boxes ready for when that mythical permanent place is ready for them. The corms have put on quite a bit more root system so I'll only put two in a box, I did have three, I thought three might be a bit squeezy, a single box is 200 deep I stack two high so this gives me 400 deep filled with lots of compost, should do OK.
A few piccies.....
A good layer of mulch is all that remains to do, I ran out of light, I've got 6 plants to replant so 3 boxes all up, nothing better than fresh cut raw Asparagus, tastes just like peas (which also have to be straight out of the pod):; mmm must plant some peas as well!

Pete

HUON
28th June 2015, 08:20 PM
Look forward to progress photos, including on the plate.

pjt
2nd July 2015, 01:36 AM
Asparagus is now in the three boxes on the right, this area is right at the btm of the back stairs which I go past quite a few times a day which means if something needs attention it will be seen and get it, it's also a nice little diversion just to see what is happening, Have I got any seeds sprouted yet? There's a lizard, ahh more strawberry flowers, I can taste them already, that sort of thing! Iv'e had some bigish concrete pots sitting about the place so I've set them up ready for something, I put some Marigold seeds in one of them and they are on the go, also some celery, lettuce, parsley, basil and silverbeet in loo rolls in the fridge bin (lower left).

I noticed today that already the asparagus is on the go, I thought it might be a while before I saw any movement.....

Pete

Old-Biker-UK
2nd July 2015, 05:56 AM
Yummy - lightly boiled (with a knob of butter)
Perfect with a bit of fresh salmon.
(should this be in the cooking forum?:U)

Mark

fenderbelly
3rd July 2015, 12:12 AM
Make sure you keep the loo rolls wet or the roots can't break through.