PDA

View Full Version : Sealing MDF on Router Table

trakkie
28th June 2015, 09:45 PM
My first post - I have just purchased a Kreg benchtop router table. The table itself is laminated on both top and bottom, and edgebanded on all 4 sides. The fence moves in slots cut through the MDF, rather than in aluminium tracks. Just wondering if it would be would be worthwhile sealing the sides of the slots and the plate insert with a couple of coats of something like polyurethane to prevent the absorption of moisture, that over time makes MDF swell and go "furry" (like my old Triton router table MDF bits).

Also the fence cheeks, although laminated on both sides, have raw MDF on all edges.

I want it to last, but don't want to waste my time if there is nothing to be gained by doing it. Any advice welcome.

Master Splinter
28th June 2015, 10:10 PM
It certainly can't hurt...personally, I'd start with something like tung oil or shellac, as you don't want the hassle of using a film forming finish that might require sanding to get things running freely again.

Cliff Rogers
28th June 2015, 10:24 PM
Penetrol. :2tsup:

http://www.floodaustralia.net/products/wood_care/penetrol_wood_oil.php

Once the can is open, it doesn't keep.

jack620
29th June 2015, 11:10 AM
I've found that MDF will take as much oil based finish as you can throw at it. I'd be using a sealing type finish like the shellac already mentioned.

The absolute best way to seal MDF edges is CA (aka Superglue). Buy a few packs of 6 tubes at the $2 shop. Flood the surface and spread with a disposable brush. Work fast, wear gloves and glasses. If you don't have a suitable mask, do it outside- the fumes are murder. Check out YouTube. This is how I seal MDF edges on speaker cabinets before spraying lacquer. It turns the MDF rock hard.

Anything will be better than nothing!

Cheers

trakkie
29th June 2015, 11:42 AM
Thanks everyone. Very helpful info. I'll get cracking with it - much easier to do before I assemble everything.

Cheers.