PDA

View Full Version : My first post from Canada

Ruthart
4th July 2015, 10:47 AM
Hi,
I've been reading this forum for a while and enjoying informative and entertaining posts. So far I haven't felt that I can contribute here but I thought I should introduce myself with this little project.
I live in Ontario Canada and have gotten into metal working a few years ago because I really enjoyed machine shop in high school. I am nearing retirement so to make sure I won't be bored, I purchased a bunch of tools and machinery the past several years. For example last year I bought used a Harrison M300 lathe and a First milling machine along with many tooling. And that brings me to the project: I bought an insert cutoff tool from Shars but it was bigger then my tool holder so I made this one based on a Dorian design:

It works well too :U
Cheers,
- George

simonl
4th July 2015, 10:52 AM
Hi George, Welcome to the forum. Thanks for posting, nice work! What sort of milling machine did you purchase? Simon

eskimo
4th July 2015, 11:07 AM
yes, welcome George

Ruthart
4th July 2015, 11:26 AM
Hi George, Welcome to the forum. Thanks for posting, nice work! What sort of milling machine did you purchase? Simon

It is a "First" milling machine. It is a Bridgeport clone with variable speed and other improvements.

- George

krisfarm
4th July 2015, 03:01 PM
Ruthart,
Nice machining on your tool holder, I like the use of dowel pins,that should give you years of good service. You might find that you will want to knock all of the sharp edges off to make handling a bit easier on your hands.How is the daytime temperature at this time of year?
Bob

simonl
4th July 2015, 04:01 PM
It is a "First" milling machine. It is a Bridgeport clone with variable speed and other improvements.

- George Hi George, Sorry you did say that. That's my ignorance, I thought it was YOUR first mill. :doh: Simon

Stustoys
4th July 2015, 04:05 PM
Hi George, Welcome

Stuart

wm460
4th July 2015, 04:34 PM
G'Day and welcome to the forum from the cold centre of Aust, here in Alice Springs it is -1°C min and 19°C max . http://i511.photobucket.com/albums/s356/wm460/Cartoons/Frozen-frozen-freeze-winter-smiley-emoticon-000590-large.gif (http://s511.photobucket.com/user/wm460/media/Cartoons/Frozen-frozen-freeze-winter-smiley-emoticon-000590-large.gif.html)

neksmerj
4th July 2015, 06:33 PM
Ruthart,

Welcome to the best forum in the world.

Just out of curiosity, how did you come across this Australian forum, it's billed as a woodwork forum, or was that gardening, photography, cnc, whatever, whatever?

Once you're in, you're here to stay.

Ken

janvanruth
4th July 2015, 07:01 PM
very nicely done that holder!
didnt you contemplate making the entire assembly out of one piece?
it seems "easy" on that type of toolpost.
less overhang and no joint to flex.
unfortunately i have got a Rapid style toolpost which makes it a lot harder to get it right.

KBs PensNmore
4th July 2015, 07:18 PM
Welcome to the forum George, and very nice work on the tool holder :2tsup:.
Kryn

Machtool
4th July 2015, 07:21 PM
Welcome George.

Bout time we had another Moose. We used to have a resident Canadian by the initials G.Q. But he's missing in action.

Regards Phil.

(On Edit) P.S Don't think I've ever meet a Canadian I didn't like. I've heard we are similar in a lot of ways.

neksmerj
4th July 2015, 07:39 PM
Phil, you raise a good point, in fact, I'm surprised that GQ hasn't chimed in yet to welcome another "moose".

Maybe he still hasn't got his solar powered laptop going yet.

Ken

Steamwhisperer
4th July 2015, 07:40 PM
Welcome George.
Looking forward to many more posts.
Great to see you have the first rule of this forum sorted, plenty of pics. lol

Phil

neksmerj
4th July 2015, 07:59 PM
George,

In order to stay in this forum, there are a few rules.

1. You must have an Aussie style sense of humour.
2. You must be a beer drinker.
3. Of course, lot's of pics.

Have I missed anything?

Ken

KBs PensNmore
4th July 2015, 08:09 PM
George,

Have I missed anything?

Ken

I'd better get off then, as I don't touch the stuff. Did you know that Draught bottles/cans are the only beers, that show the manufacturer on the label!!!!!!
Kryn

simonl
4th July 2015, 08:12 PM
I don't drink beer either but I compensate with bourbon! :2tsup:

Simon

KBs PensNmore
4th July 2015, 08:24 PM
Ken said "you had to drink beer", didn't say anything else:D. May be we should ask for a separate section for us "NON BEER DRINKERS":rolleyes:
Kryn

Ruthart
5th July 2015, 12:22 AM
Ruthart,
Nice machining on your tool holder, I like the use of dowel pins,that should give you years of good service. You might find that you will want to knock all of the sharp edges off to make handling a bit easier on your hands.How is the daytime temperature at this time of year?
Bob

Bob, good point about the sharp edges. The temperature here is around 23C, very pleasant. If you thing we have it good, don't forget that 6 months ago when you were enjoying 35C we had -20C here.
- George

Ruthart
5th July 2015, 12:28 AM
[QUOTE=neksmerj;1878564]Ruthart,

Welcome to the best forum in the world.

- Sure is the most fun.

Just out of curiosity, how did you come across this Australian forum, it's billed as a woodwork forum, or was that gardening, photography, cnc, whatever, whatever?

- I was googling and found a surface grinder rebuild thread. I am also into woodworking so I joined.

- George

Ruthart
5th July 2015, 12:31 AM
very nicely done that holder!
didnt you contemplate making the entire assembly out of one piece?
it seems "easy" on that type of toolpost.
less overhang and no joint to flex.
unfortunately i have got a Rapid style toolpost which makes it a lot harder to get it right.

I sure did, might do it in the future.

Ruthart
5th July 2015, 12:35 AM
George,

Have I missed anything?

Ken

Thank you all for the welcome and the kind comments. Ken, I think I meet all three criteria, so I am here to say.

- George

eskimo
6th July 2015, 10:09 AM
. May be we should ask for a separate section for us "NON BEER DRINKERS":rolleyes:
Kryn

probably be a small, very small membership....lol

eskimo
6th July 2015, 10:16 AM
we had -20C here.

thats too cold .....brrrrr

simonl
6th July 2015, 11:53 AM
thats too cold .....brrrrr

No such thing as bad weather……… just inapropriate clothing! :q

Although, minus 20 would give me a run for my money!!!

Simon

old1955
6th July 2015, 11:54 AM
Welcome to the forum George.

QC Inspector
6th July 2015, 05:54 PM
Hi from BC. The wet coast of Canada. Nice tool holder.
All the best
Pete

BaronJ
8th July 2015, 07:56 AM
probably be a small, very small membership....lol

Hi Guys,

I'm not a beer drinker either...
I much prefer the fermented grape juice, particularly the Australian Shiraz variety's.

Welcome to the forum George. I do some woodworking too :U:U:U

DaveTTC
8th July 2015, 08:21 AM
Welcome aboard George

I'm not conversant with metal work but am interested in learning. Might see younaround the metal forum

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art