PDA

View Full Version : Chainsaw pole pruner for Ornamental Pears

oxblood8
13th July 2015, 11:11 AM
Hi All

I have a number of Ornamental Pear trees that need the tops taken off. Last year I used a manual Fiskars Pole Pruner to cut 4 trees which took me an entire day to do. This time around I have 12 to cut and looking for a better option.

I am interested in getting a chainsaw pole pruner but wondered whether it would do the job. Basically I want to take a couple of meters off the top of these trees however the majority of these branches are quite spindly and maybe around 1cm diameter. Would a chainsaw pruner cut through this or would these branches just bounce off the chain?

I don't want to break the bank on one of these units, was thinking either a cordless (either Ryobi from Bunnings or Black & Decker from Masters) or maybe one of the cheaper units from eBay.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

DaveTTC
13th July 2015, 11:36 AM
At 1cm i would consider a hedge trimmer

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Bob38S
19th July 2015, 10:20 AM
Have a talk to the blokes at Trade Tools.

No affiliation but have used quite a bit of their gear.

https://www.tradetools.com/product-range/outdoor-power-equipment/pole-saws/tradetools-26cc-pole-pruner-telescopic-handle

TheNutter
19th July 2015, 03:08 PM
Hi
I am an Almond grower and use one of the cheap eBay pole saws to prune as they are much lighter than the telescopic type saws made by Stihl et al. After 4k trees over 4years what I originally thought of as a disposable item is yet to die...
Ian

KBs PensNmore
19th July 2015, 07:30 PM
Hi Ian, any chance of some details of your saw please, also where did you purchase it?
I'm looking for something similar.
Thanks,
Kryn

oxblood8
27th July 2015, 11:41 AM
Hi all

Thanks for the replies. Just wanted to provide some feedback.

I ended up getting a Black & Decker cordless unit from Masters. I had 9 trees to cut and unfortunately after 3 trees I was out of battery. The batteries take a long time to recharge (around 6 hours) so would need to purchase multiple batteries (or cut over multiple days). Luckily my neighbour had the Ryobi cordless unit and had multiple batteries. This did a lot better job than the B&D. The only reason I didn't buy the Ryobi was that I didn't have any other One+ gear so would have had to buy batteries.

So if I had my time again I probably would have bought a petrol or corded unit. I got a really good deal on the B&D so not overly fussed. It will come in handy for the odd branch cut here and there.

TheNutter
27th July 2015, 06:49 PM
Hi Kryn

I don't remember who I got it from now, it came off ebay, more or less one of these

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-LONG-REACH-POLE-PRUNER-SAW-GARDEN-ARBORIST-CHAINSAW-TREE-TRIMMER-/320991555148?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item4abc966e4c

Regards

Ian