PDA

View Full Version : clear finish for hull interiors?

scottyk
25th July 2005, 01:35 PM
Hey all
I am building a cold moulded racing yacht out of King Billy and I am getting to the stage of finishing the interior. I have coated it with three coats of everdure wet on wet and I am now wondering what it the best way to get a good finish that will last and preserve the timber, three options I have in mind are;
continue to build up coats of everdure?
apply coats of west system as a finish?
apply polyruathane over the verdure?
any advice would be apreciated
thanks scottyk

journeyman Mick
25th July 2005, 01:54 PM
Scotty,
there's no UV stabilisers in the everdure or the west epoxy so they will break down over time, even on an interior. I'm fairly certain that a single pack polyurethane won't stick to the everdure. I would talk to your everdure supplier about a compatible clear top coat. International make 3 2 pack clear finishes one of which is bound to suit: Intergloss, Perfection Gloss and Perfection Varnish.

Mick

bitingmidge
25th July 2005, 02:19 PM
As usual I agree with J-Mick almost entirely!

Absolutely use a varnish or poly-u with a high UV rating. I'm a sort of old fashioned girl in this respect as I like to use varnish even though it's softer, because it's also dead easy to repair.

I would use at least one coat of epoxy with a UV stabiliser (make sure it's compatible by talking with the manufacturer, not a chandlery counter-jockey).
As Mick says, epoxy is not UV resistant in "standard" form, but the major manufacturer's do make a catalyst which is loaded with UV inhibitors for just this purpose.

The epoxy will provide a UV stable base which will protect the timber in the event of scratches happening to the soft top coat.

cheers,

P

STEPHEN MILLER
30th July 2005, 11:39 AM
AS B/M says you can use Wests 207 which is a UV stable hardener and I have used International Goldspar Gloss Poly on our boat on the transom which is exposed to sun 24/7 and you give it a light sand every year and recoat. The more Glodspar coats you use the better the transom has 10. There is not a poly urethane or varnish on the market that that will last much longer than a year when exposed to the sun on a 24/7 basis before the surface starts to fade and degrade.
Mate of mine has 1935 built clipper 28' jarrah below the water line oregon above with lots of bright work which has covers for all the bright work [cabin sides, gunal, cockpit etc]when he is not out sailing. :)

Boatmik
4th August 2005, 03:18 PM
Hey all
I am building a cold moulded racing yacht out of King Billy and I am getting to the stage of finishing the interior. I have coated it with three coats of everdure wet on wet and I am now wondering what it the best way to get a good finish that will last and preserve the timber, three options I have in mind are;
continue to build up coats of everdure?
apply coats of west system as a finish?
apply polyruathane over the verdure?
any advice would be apreciated
thanks scottyk
Howdy ScottyK,

Generally the good quality high-solids epoxies like West, System 3 and Bote Cote are good protection by themselves. So I would go that way.

Everdure is not particularly effective by itself as is something like 80% thinners so very little is left in the wood - and there are big holes in the epoxy matrix where the solvent molecules have left a gap - quite big enough for water molecules to get in.

So would recommend 2 to three coats of epoxy wet-on-wet.

MIK