PDA

View Full Version : What is it for? A grinder?

Steamwhisperer
19th July 2015, 10:07 PM
Hi all
This little unit came with the grinders so it could be for the tool and cutter, the cylindrical or the surface grinder.
I can only imagine it is a spin fixture of some sort. I would love to know which machine it came off and what it does.
It may not even belong to any of these machines as it had an (approx) 2" riser block machined to suit the Macson tool and cutter bed.
The cylindrical grinder is a TOS and the surface grinder is a Jones and Shipman 540.
The chuck is threaded on and should I have any luck removing it I should have some more info on the spindle.

Phil
353033 353027 353032 353031 353030 353029 353028

Stustoys
19th July 2015, 10:29 PM
Its a fixture, it will do what ever you can make it do.. same as a vice is a fixture.
I'd say they mostly get used a grinders, though that wouldnt stop me using it on a mill if needed.. though it would want to be some pretty light milling.

At a guess if you undo the hex inside the knurled ring, that will be a draw bar holding the spindle the chuck is screwed onto in a taper of some sort.

Not much help really
Stuart

Steamwhisperer
19th July 2015, 11:05 PM
Its a fixture, it will do what ever you can make it do.. same as a vice is a fixture.
I'd say they mostly get used a grinders, though that wouldnt stop me using it on a mill if needed.. though it would want to be some pretty light milling.

At a guess if you undo the hex inside the knurled ring, that will be a draw bar holding the spindle the chuck is screwed onto in a taper of some sort.

Not much help really
Stuart

A lot of help actually Stuart.
I assumed the hex was for a handle to turn it, never thought of a drawbar.
I'll have a crack tomorrow night.

Phil

.RC.
19th July 2015, 11:08 PM
going by the paint colour.. local or uk manufacture.. 1940's build maybe.. that green seems to crop up again and again..

Peter Fou
19th July 2015, 11:22 PM
Very quick answer--it is a workhead for a Hercus tool & cutter grinder identical to the one Anorak Bob has.

Peter

Steamwhisperer
20th July 2015, 06:54 AM
Very quick answer--it is a workhead for a Hercus tool & cutter grinder identical to the one Anorak Bob has.

Peter

Thanks Peter
of course I googled every brand I could think of except Hercus. They didn't have a Hercus at the school that this stuff came from but that still shouldn't have stopped me.
Looks like I have a few accessories to make for it after looking at Anorak Bobs.
Thanks again.

Phil

Anorak Bob
20th July 2015, 10:06 AM
Hey Phil,

When you eventually pull the head apart you will find (or should find) Timken tapered roller bearings with integral seals -

http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=186175&p=1788512#post1788512
http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=179179&p=1720796#post1720796

The workhead had sat in a box dismantled for some time while I attended to other projects. Yesterday I had another look at it and then it hit me.:doh: With a sharp Olfa blade I sliced off the secondary seal that engages the cup leaving only the seal that bears against the housing. No more excess friction. The little 1/30th horsepower motor now spins the workhead well enough for me to have tried my hand at some cylindrical grinding.

Bob.