PDA

View Full Version : WorkBench on castors

mat
25th July 2005, 04:00 PM
Does anyone have a workbench on wheels (presumably with swivel lock and brake) that can be used successfully for planing and other tasks where lateral forces are used?

ryanarcher
25th July 2005, 04:23 PM
yep,

here's the thread:

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=10631

knucklehead
25th July 2005, 05:57 PM
Mat, go for metal wheels. I have a bench on heavy duty rubber wheels and they have developed flat spots.

Soundman sells a very similar set to the ones Ryan has used.
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=15179&highlight=heavy+base+soundman

JB
25th July 2005, 09:10 PM
I have non-lockable castors on my very large and heavy workbench and use a pinch bar to lift two corners onto wooden blocks 5mm higher than the wheels when it's in position. Works fine.

Stubchain
25th July 2005, 10:08 PM
Hey Knuckle, I don't agree, rubber wheels are better on concrete, metal ones can skate even with brakes on. I made a bench out of an old office desk, had to raise it up to the right height, looks pretty good, very flat as well. I'll post a picture next weekend.

Richardwoodhead
26th July 2005, 12:34 AM
Mat

Made my own 1.2 x 2.2 workbench on very sturdy solid rubber castors (biggest I could find). I had the frame welded from 25mm (maybe it was 30 mm, I'll check tomorrow) RHS gal steel. With base plates bolted to the castors. And a lower shelf. Around the upper frame perimeter (which has cross-braces) I tech screwed 140 mm x 45 mm jarrah boards. Then 25 mm MDF as the bench top. Back stops (which can be raised or lowered) were then bolted onto the table ends and two vices attached to one side. Now I can "go anywhere" in my workshop (it's 15 x 15 m, so I have a bit of space..). I should have bought a couple of castors with "stops". But I just put a couple of wooden wedges under the wheels when I want it to stay put. Works fine.

I did build myself a fancy heavy workbench (which took weeks), but because it was fixed and I found myself not wanting to do the really dirty / dusty work in the area of the shed it was located, I switched to my mobile bench, which only took me a day to make (after the frame was welded - which also makes it VERY strong but light weight). I use this bench for just about everything except gluing.

(And then I cut the legs shorter on my old fancy table, tech screwed 4 rubber castor wheels on the legs, cut a hole in the top, and slotted in a Triton router work bench top. So now I have a large mobile router table as well).

Some like the craft and pleasure of building or purchasing a solid sturdy wooden bench. I can really appreciate that. But for day to day operations, you'll never regret a "light weight" and mobile work bench - as long as it can still be made immobile, when needed. IMHO.

Good luck with it.

Richard