PDA

View Full Version : removing aluminium in grinding wheels

Not enough!!
20th July 2015, 09:16 PM
Hey all, brought a second hand bench grinder - and it looks like the prevoius owner has been grinding aluminium on the fine wheel, can l dress these wheels without fear of the f*&%$r's (wheels) exploding, one wheel is pretty thick with Alu like 25%.

l did think of turfing them but thought l'd ask first, the grinder did come with a "dresser"

Stevo

BobL
20th July 2015, 09:48 PM
I recommend turfing ALL used wheels - especially something like that. You have no idea what else that wheel has been through and even if it passes the ring test it could still be faulty.

At the mens shed we have all manner of ancient wheels give to us and whenever I can I sneak then into the bin.

Mobyturns
21st July 2015, 07:43 AM
I agree with BobL, approx $90 to replace both wheels is cheap insurance.

Not enough!!
21st July 2015, 10:00 PM
Thanks guys, in the bin they go, l might get a white and pink one - man that just doesn't sound right!

.RC.
21st July 2015, 10:20 PM
Thanks guys, in the bin they go, l might get a white and pink one - man that just doesn't sound right!

Yea, I would go for two pink ones...

Machtool
21st July 2015, 11:56 PM
What kind of "Dressor" did you get? A star wheel will rip that open again.

Machtool
22nd July 2015, 12:19 AM
I recommend turfing ALL used wheels - especially something like that.

Bob, With all due respect. What's "Especially something like that", this sound's like a 6" or 8" stone. I've seen 48" camgrinder stones blow up, but this???

They ain't dangerous, prone to blowing up. Safest thing you could ever do, is redress it, removing the Ali in the face. That would make it a safe wheel.

Regards

Phil.

BobL
22nd July 2015, 01:29 AM
Bob, With all due respect. What's "Especially something like that", this sound's like a 6" or 8" stone. I've seen 48" camgrinder stones blow up, but this???

They ain't dangerous, prone to blowing up. Safest thing you could ever do, is redress it, removing the Ali in the face. That would make it a safe wheel.

Regards

Phil.

Indeed it could be a safe wheel but I'm not that worried about Al on a stone and agree that a good dressing can fix that problem.
However it is an indication about what else might have been done to that grinder.
It's just that I don't like old stones.
A new 6" wheel costs what $25 and new 8" costs $30.
I'd call that relativley cheap insurance