PDA

View Full Version : Which 2hp dust extractor?

Caliban
25th July 2005, 11:23 PM
Before anyone says "do a search" i want to make it perfectly clear that I've spent the last two years reading everything on this forum and Bill Pentz's site and Wayne Davy's site and still need to ask, knowing that the collected wisdom of those who dwell hereabouts will solve my dusty problem. (not my other foilish problems :D )
Is there a preferred 2hp unit out there?
I will put it in a lean to type humpy outside so there is no need for superfine filtration and it seems that the coarser the filter, the better the suction. Rev reports that opening up the inlet increases the efficiency of the units as long as you dont overload the amps on the motor. I know carbatec sell a cheap and a delux version of the 2 hp unit with different cfm rates of 1200 and 1700 respectively. Is the impeller design superior or have they just opened up the inlet and put different bags on the dearer unit?
Is the motor and impeller on a cheap ( eg. total tools unit for $249) good enough to do the job or is it like everything else and you only get what you pay for. I know the jet with pleated filter is lovely but I really dont need sub 5 micron filtering so does anyone with a 2hp unit have any recommendations?

bitingmidge
25th July 2005, 11:48 PM
As an owner of a Jet with sub 5 micron filtering which I bought because I liked the colour I feel eminently qualified to comment!

Reading Pentz's site I get scared that nothing less than 3hp will do, but I know that's not right!

There is discussion buried there regarding fans and I recall the Jet 2HP choofs out more than the others because of it's fan. This is from memory and may have changed recently since he began building his own fans etc, but the Jet fan was a definite favourite, and he coupled that with some other washing machine motor or whatever.

I have tried looking at all this stuff through an understandascope, but it mustn't be tuned right, because the more I read the less I understand. There's no logical reason why they'd sell a thing with the same motor and specs but a smaller fan for less money is there?? Yet they seem to??

I therefore am happy knowing my Jet works, I have no idea if it's any better, but at least I don't have to struggle with finding a sensible answer to your question.

:D :D :D
Cheers,

P

HiString
26th July 2005, 01:08 AM
I think it is a combination of things most of which seem to allude us mere mortals and reading BP's site does tend to leave a person with more answers than they started with ..................as I understand it, a 2hp DC usually has a 12" impeller but some (not necessarily the budget models) 2hp motors are quite capable of swinging a 13" impeller. A look at the specs on JET's site could confuse the issue even further as one of their "1900" series" lists a 1hp 3PH motor using a 14" impeller although I strongly suspect that it is a misprint which should read 3hp 1PH. Also, according to the current spec listings, none of the JET 2hp units are rated at more than 1200CFM..........maybe there's been a revision since BP's original research.

I have a Hafco DC-6 2hp which is supposedly capable of 1200CFM. One thing that has me curious is that the dual connector fitting can be easily removed to reveal a 6" opening........this has me wondering what performance changes I could expect if I converted to a 6" hose instead of the 4", although if I do as I originally intended and use the motor assy for a cyclone it really become a moot point.

:cool:

ozwinner
26th July 2005, 08:12 AM
I thought about mouting the motor/fan assembly ontop of a tall cupboard.

All the saw dust would just drop to the bottom of the cupboard.
You could construct some sort of crude filter so the finer stuff didnt blow out.

I was actual thinking of building this thing in my shed next to the wood heater, that way I could cut all year and collect a supply of chips to burn.

Al :)

Zed
26th July 2005, 10:04 AM
HI,

I'm a bit like Midge - dont know whats best but here is a critique I wrote almost a week a go on the Carba tec 2Hp dustie.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=19624

whatever works I suppose! Hope my thread is of value....

cheers