PDA

View Full Version : Greetings. And "Name that Tool"

goodvibes
28th July 2015, 11:54 AM
G'day guys.

Looks like the place to be for a developing tool head.

I have a dirty confession to make. I sell a few vintage tools on Ebay. But in my defence I find them rusting and neglected for 50 years at farm clearing sales, and rescue them from job lots of metal that the scrap merchants would otherwise get their hands on. And I'm learning how to best lightly restore them back to life. So I'm not that evil. Really.

Anyhoo. On to Name That Tool. The thing has me stumped. I've had various theories including that it's a silly design for a saw set, or a bad design for a chain breaker, or even a tool for punching untidy jagged holes in sheet metal. None of them seem realistic.

So what the hell is it? A number of different size holes with a screw down mechanism which goes down into the holes. Old Department of Defence marking (D uparrow D).

Happy hunting

Acco
28th July 2015, 12:08 PM
It's a flaring tool for copper tube

DaveTTC
28th July 2015, 12:30 PM
:whs:

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Chesand
28th July 2015, 12:49 PM
:wts:

goodvibes
28th July 2015, 01:07 PM

Now I'm impressed. Many thanks.

DaveTTC
28th July 2015, 01:33 PM
Oh and welcome aboard

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

old1955
28th July 2015, 08:33 PM
Welcome to the forum.

crowie
29th July 2015, 11:46 AM
G'Day & Welcome to a top forum "goodvibes".
There are a good many members in the Gippsland area and across Victoria plus the rest of the country.....
You'll find a heap of helpful & knowledgeable blokes & ladies on the forum and for most very willing to assist.
Looks like they're already on the job, well done all on the correct tool identification!!!
Make sure you show off your handiwork as everyone loves a photo, especially WIP [Work In Progress] photos with build notes.
Enjoy the forum.
Enjoy your woodwork......
Cheers crowie