PDA

View Full Version : box with brass ring

turnerted
29th July 2015, 05:43 PM
G'dayI saw this demonstrated at Turnfest but when I went to buy some brass powder from Dave's shop they had sold out, so obviously a lot of others decided to try it too . Anyway I managed to buy some brass powder locally and was able to try it out .The demonstrater put brass powder in the groove then dripped CA glue on to it then sanded it back . I found that when using this technique , I tended to have dry patches which become holes in the ring so I now use epoxy casting resin with the brass powder mixed in to it then push it into the groove with a matchstick . The groove is about .5mm deep and the more brass you mix into the resin the better . It needs to be just slightly runny . I just lightly shear scrape the surface to get down to the ring then sand and finish with DO .The box is sally wattle about 80mm diam and 85mm high .Ted

hughie
29th July 2015, 07:01 PM
Ted you need to use the thinnest CA you can get the stuff from Bunnies etc and other similar places wont work. Also I find doing it in two goes is better and more easily controllable.

dai sensei
29th July 2015, 08:14 PM
What Hughie said re CA, you need Thin or Ultra thin CA.

Looks like what you did worked so all good. I have found with the epoxy method the metal powder can often not be solid, so some epoxy can be seen, plus not polish as well.

smiife
29th July 2015, 08:18 PM
Hi ted,
Looks good mate, I have never had much luck
with sally wattle, but you have obviously !
any piccies on the process ?
Well done:2tsup:

turnerted
30th July 2015, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the comments .I'll try and get some thin CA . I tried it with the cheap stuff sold in the Dollar Shop . If I can get it to work with CA it would be easier and probably cheaper than casting epoxy.Not much to photograph of the process .I just cut a groove with a 3mm parting tool and fill as described . I think there are a few species with the common name Sally Wattle . This came from a branch pruned from a street tree near my house . Unfortunatly it's the last bit . I have been hinting to the council workers that another branch needs pruning.Ted