PDA

View Full Version : Ozito Angle Grinder switch wont turn off

Tegmark
29th July 2015, 11:50 PM
The plastic switch works/moves up & down whether holding with finger or in lock position. But after just my first use the thing wont turn off now. The underneath switch looks like its moving up and down too, so must be an internal problem. Wish I keep my receipt.

I brought this for some minor grinding maybe 2-3 uses a year. Should of went aldi, I beat this ozita is same quality but just a rip off.

Has anyone had this problem & what might cause it? Just a bad design or just a dud?

Anyway think I might go aldi brand.

KBs PensNmore
29th July 2015, 11:55 PM
How long have you had it? I have taken faulty items back to Bunnings with out a receipt. Take it back and see what happens, particularly as Ozito is their house brand.
Kryn

Tegmark
30th July 2015, 12:12 AM
How long have you had it? I have taken faulty items back to Bunnings with out a receipt. Take it back and see what happens, particularly as Ozito is their house brand.
Kryn

About a week, but the box is turfed, I usually keep the box & receipt until I have test used my devices. Didn't bother as I thought its just a simple grinder

welder
30th July 2015, 12:21 AM
Australian consumer law says You do not have to return products in the original packaging in order to get a refund.

Stustoys
30th July 2015, 12:36 AM
I think you're being a little hard on bunnings, they havent knocked you back yet.

Did you pay with a CC or EFPOS?

Stuart

dales133
30th July 2015, 03:33 AM
Ive never had an issue ever with returns to bunnings.
Ive got an ozito multi tool and it has the same switch....they arnt the greatest design.
Even if you cant find proof of purchase they are the only suppliers of ozito so i recon youll be ok if your polite and not all disgruntled.

pipeclay
30th July 2015, 06:56 AM
Without the receipt or proof of purchase you may not be able to get your money back in cash.

You should find they will give a replacement or store credit voucher.

nadroj
31st July 2015, 06:49 AM
Without the receipt or proof of purchase you may not be able to get your money back in cash.

You should find they will give a replacement or store credit voucher.

I don't think that's correct, Peter.
I saw an episode of the excellent TV show, "The Checkout", where they showed that it's not absolutely necessary to have the receipt, as other evidence of where you bought it from will suffice. In the case of Ozito, it's clear you bought it from Bunnings as it's their own brand. Not being a franchise helps too - you don't even have to return it to the same branch, as it's all one organisation (under Wesfarmers). The episode also said that returning with original packaging isn't necessary either. The retailer would probably prefer if you did of course, but it saves you from keeping bulky empty boxes in the attic.

Bunnings have a sensible "no quibble" returns policy. I often deliberately buy more than I need for a job, confident that I'll be refunded for any unused stuff. And, I'm not gonna hold off buying, for fear of over ordering or wrong ordering - so Bunnings wins too.

Jordan

Tegmark
31st July 2015, 04:19 PM
I don't think that's correct, Peter.
I saw an episode of the excellent TV show, "The Checkout", where they showed that it's not absolutely necessary to have the receipt, as other evidence of where you bought it from will suffice. In the case of Ozito, it's clear you bought it from Bunnings as it's their own brand. Not being a franchise helps too - you don't even have to return it to the same branch, as it's all one organisation (under Wesfarmers). The episode also said that returning with original packaging isn't necessary either. The retailer would probably prefer if you did of course, but it saves you from keeping bulky empty boxes in the attic.

Bunnings have a sensible "no quibble" returns policy. I often deliberately buy more than I need for a job, confident that I'll be refunded for any unused stuff. And, I'm not gonna hold off buying, for fear of over ordering or wrong ordering - so Bunnings wins too.

Jordan

They accepted it with no receipt & box & gave a replacement. Too easy.

Wongo
31st July 2015, 04:30 PM
I hate to sound harsh but have you learnt your lesson. You got a dud Ozito and now you are going for a Aldi. Go get yourself at least a Bosch from Bunnings. They are not that expensive. In fact it will be less than 2 dud ones.

justonething
31st July 2015, 04:51 PM
I hate to sound harsh but have you learnt your lesson. You got a dud Ozito and now you are going for a Aldi. Go get yourself at least a Bosch from Bunnings. They are not that expensive. In fact it will be less than 2 dud ones.
I will have to disagree with that assertion. If you are getting a tool with any kind of precision requirement, then I would agree. But grinders by nature is not for taking precision cuts and there is nothing much other than a motor and some worm gears. I actually like Aldi's grinder, 5" grinder for less than 30 bucks, it has variable speed, the trigger is on the handle and as soon as you take your hand off, it switches itself off. It takes enough punishment but have not shown any signs of problems.

Old-Biker-UK
1st August 2015, 06:00 AM
Give the switch a squirt of WD40
Worked for me with the same problem on a grinder.
Worth a try

Mark

China
7th August 2015, 03:00 AM
Your have learnt the hard way, it is ozito throw it out and buy something decent

nadroj
7th August 2015, 03:38 AM
I used to have a policy of only buying the best tools I could afford.
Then I was burgled.

Jordan

Wongo
7th August 2015, 10:27 AM
A Bosch (Blue) from Bunnings is only $75. Buy a decent one and buy it once. That is my policy.

Oldneweng
7th August 2015, 01:52 PM
A Bosch (Blue) from Bunnings is only $75. Buy a decent one and buy it once. That is my policy.

What do you do when it wears out?

My first good(?) angle grinder was a 125mm Ryobi. It was about the only affordable one around that had some decent power at the time. It got hammered for many years. It was replaced with a Makita that also got hammered for many years. That was replaced with a Bosch that was listed as a 100mm and priced accordingly. The store said the distributer kept sending them like that and they had given up worrying. I paid about $80 for it. I bought a cheap one (100mm) and it lasted only a few hours. I don't buy cheap angle grinders anymore. I think I have one in the cupboard that I bought for a specific project thjat didn't happen. I paid about $12 for it.

Dean

19brendan81
7th August 2015, 05:08 PM
In 2006 I got four of the cheapest possible powertools for Christmas. They came from either bunnings or supercheap, cant remember. Brand was 'maximate' or some such thing. They cost $10 each and I got a 100mm grinder, a jigsaw, an orbital sander and a power drill.

The grinder was the first to go – it didn’t last one cut. It made about 400mm of the way through about 1200mms worth of cuts that I had to make in 3mm plate steel and then it caught fire. I replaced it with a 125mm Makita that I used heavily for 9 years until it was stolen this year by one of the tradies working on my extension.

Next to blow up was the drill. Iwas using it to crush grain for home brewing beer (powering a rollermill). It lasted about 5 minutes in this scenario before it caught fire, but I was abusing it. I don’t think power drills are meant to run at low RPMs under such significant load. It was fine for about 3 years of general drilling before this. I replaced it with a Makita 18v drill that I still have.

Third to go was the jigsaw. The blade guide snapped off during use not long after the drill burnt out. I hardly used this tool at all, as I don’t use a jigsaw that often, however nominally it did last 4 years. My wife gave me a Makita for xmas a year or so after this one broke which I still have (and still rarely use).

The last one to pack it in was the orbital sander. It broke a month ago, one of the moving parts inside that makes it vibrate. Motors still fine and this tool got used a lot. I rate it as pretty good value given it was only $10! Still, I will probably replace it with a good one and theres no surprised what colour it will be. I have become quite brand loyal to Makita not only after my positive experiences with them over the years but also from watching my tradie mates use their stuff for a living for well over 10 years now.

I have some Ozito stuff at home too (a circ saw, a dremel and a recipro)and I reckon they get a bad wrap. They are definitely better tools than the maximate stuff I had but obviously not as good as the bigger brands. I think for light or occasional use they are worth a gamble – and given that Bunnings readily accept returns if they burn out you can take them back and upgrade to something else.

Oldneweng
7th August 2015, 05:39 PM
I have some Ozito stuff at home too (a circ saw, a dremel and a recipro)and I reckon they get a bad wrap. They are definitely better tools than the maximate stuff I had but obviously not as good as the bigger brands. I think for light or occasional use they are worth a gamble – and given that Bunnings readily accept returns if they burn out you can take them back and upgrade to something else.

True. They are a low risk purchase. I also have 2 identical 18v GMC cordless drills. One has been given a beating for many years. The other was bought real cheap in a runout sale as I was so pleased with the first one. Well worth the money. I have a small Ozito circ saw and a 909 (Masters) 12in Sliding Compound Mitre Saw (SCMS) that have both served me well. There is a long story regarding SCMS's that was caused by very poor precision machining on almost every saw I ever looked at and that included right up to the high end brands. It was like they were all made in the same factory. Sometimes expensive is not good. The 909 did not have the same problem. Maybe someone realised the fault and fixed it. I don't know. I haven't bothered looking since.

I also paid over $300 for a corded Bosch recirc saw for a specific job. It finished this job ok. This did not involve a lot of work or effort. Just cutting off nails under the house. A year or more later I wanted to use it again and broke the blade locking lever removing the blade that was in it. It broke clean so no evidence of previous damage. It
just looked like metal fatigue. It cost about $80 plus a long long wait to fix it. It has been fine since but does not get much use.

I have a Makita orbital grinder that is pretty old. The rubber pad that the paper sticks to, and cushions the surface is perished. I turned it on and it chucked a couple of pieces of rubber at me at high speed. Put me off using it I can tell you. I don't know whether to replace the pad ($60) or buy a new sander.

Dean

rwbuild
7th August 2015, 09:31 PM
I have an Ozito 9" angle grinder, $95-00, soft start, it has taken 1 hell of a pounding that I have given professional makes as well and it leaves the pro's in its wake. I also have an Icon (Mitre 10 brand) $90-00, recipro that has taken similar abuse and it is the smoothest recipro I have ever used. Have a Bosch 125mm angle grinder and planer, brilliant, all my drills battery and corded and power saws all Makita, brilliant. Tried Ryobi, garbage, with the exception of a jig saw, very good.

Oldneweng
8th August 2015, 01:15 AM
I have an Ozito 9" angle grinder, $95-00, soft start, it has taken 1 hell of a pounding that I have given professional makes as well and it leaves the pro's in its wake. I also have an Icon (Mitre 10 brand) $90-00, recipro that has taken similar abuse and it is the smoothest recipro I have ever used. Have a Bosch 125mm angle grinder and planer, brilliant, all my drills battery and corded and power saws all Makita, brilliant. Tried Ryobi, garbage, with the exception of a jig saw, very good.

There used to be a blue range of Ryobi tools. Better quality. My angle grinder was one. I also have a blue Ryobi corded drill that will tear your arm off before stopping. It has also done a huge amount of work and is still going strong.

I won't buy Ryobi now.

Dean

Swarfmaker1
10th August 2015, 11:23 AM
I've bought a few Ozito tools in the past. Most have failed through normal use. The worst of them was a 10" compound sliding mitre saw. Somehow the saw blade arbor screw came loose and the blade left the arbor but fortunately for me it was retained within the guard assembly but protruding through the clear plastic cowell. I can tell you it was frightening. From memory the lever mechanism came loose jammed the blade which cause the problem. The next to go was a random orbit oscillating sander. The packaging warned "only for occasional use" , stupid me didn't read the fine print in the shop. Anyway after a couple of hours sanding a cabinet the shaft bearing was shot (and it was a roller bearing, not sealed or shielded). The jig saw also broke down after not much use and it stopped reciprocating. Realistically they are only occasional use tools.

Now the best tool they ever made was the Rotary Hammer Drill. I used one when digging the foundations for my house. It moved a heck of a lot of sandstone and concrete and I would estimate several tonne. I also used it to demolish a couple of brick walls, piers and clean the bricks. They made a mistake with that tool because it worked too well and only cost $70. Unfortunately I loaned it out and the user broke the side grip, the weakest point on the drill. I got a new replacement drill and a pat on the back because a spare side grip was no longer available. The new one is a POS and the first time I used it, it stopped hammering, I'm not sure it hammered at all, tt's useless. I'm going to get my original one back.

I also found the saw mentioned above wore out brushes very rapidly and no replacements can be had from bunnings. I found some makita ones that fit perfectly. When the brushes go I think you're supposed to throw the tool out.

Ben Dono
13th August 2015, 08:35 PM
I think you generally get what you pay for (most of the time anyway). I did have an ozito 125mm grinder that exploded in my hand. The spindle lock spring was always very weak and it must have engaged while I was grinding...big bang and lots of metal flying around! It was over before I had time to react. Found the head a long way away.. It was well used and it got me started when I didn't have a tool budget to suit better tools.

I would have rather it went out in a gentle puff of smoke though.

I still have the big ozito hammer drill I bought years ago. That drill still gets me out of trouble from time to time drilling out deep 16mm holes in fence posts for barbed wire.. Best $90 cheapie so far.

I have been stung buy big brand name gear which is disappointing. I'm sticking with Mak tools now as they have always outlasted every other brand of tool I own. I have yet to be come across a dud except one of their 18v l ion cordless drills... That one is a little less than heavy duty.
The best I have used were the first Milwaukee V28 drills.. They were unbreakable. I gave them away after flogging a pair of them for 6years.. It's a shame they don't still make them that tough anymore.

The Mak 125mm grinders at bunnies are a bargain... I have three of them and they get flogged. Bosch make a good grinder as well.

dales133
14th August 2015, 08:25 AM
Maktec grinders are great.
Ive thrashed one cutting tiles and steel for a few years and its still going strong

Ben Dono
14th August 2015, 08:39 AM
Can't say I have ever heard anyone complain about maktec. I have only a 185mm saw...that I turned into a little table saw... it's a hard life for a little saw. It still goes.

I have used a few of their other tools. All worked fine..at least they were not hiding the fact that they were releasing an economy line.