PDA

View Full Version : Just a little one

nz_carver
30th July 2015, 10:06 PM
Did this maybe 12 months ago
River Redgum slabbed in the 70s
1700 round still had room on the lathe :U
it has a foot on it but you can't see it it

It was for a good mate who's kitchen bench tops and table came from the same slabs

start waight was around 100kg

200mm faceplate 200mm vicmarc chuck and jaws

2 days turning and 4 days sanding

I ended up running the grinder none stop and 2x 5/8 bowl gouges.

Note turned in board not outboard

powderpost
30th July 2015, 10:24 PM
Dave that is one hell of a tree, 1.7m diameter. Would have taken an effort to get it on the lathe? Nice turning too.. :2tsup:

Jim

nz_carver
30th July 2015, 10:27 PM
Yeah I got a faceplate on it and it stayed on the floor for about a month till I had to mates lift it for me.

finish is nitro

Woodturnerjosh
30th July 2015, 10:32 PM
Damn that's big! Nice work :2tsup:

crowie
30th July 2015, 10:36 PM
Now that's a beautiful table piece Dave or is it the table, either way...WOW!!! Cheers, Peter

nz_carver
30th July 2015, 10:38 PM
One monster platter
Iv been asked to try get some more pics

pictureman
31st July 2015, 10:58 AM
Must be a fairly large motor to spin that baby, how big are we talking? by the way it looks awesome,great finish.

nz_carver
31st July 2015, 11:25 AM
3hp
1750 swing

turnerted
31st July 2015, 05:33 PM
A great job Dave .Makes my 600mm table top look pretty trivial .Ted

artme
31st July 2015, 06:26 PM
That has come up extremely well!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

artful bodger
31st July 2015, 07:30 PM
1700 round. (assuming outside diameter). As in 1.7 metres?
Turned inboard?
Something does not make sense here. What sort of a lathe is it?
Aside from that it looks fine!

nz_carver
31st July 2015, 09:03 PM
1700 round. (assuming outside diameter). As in 1.7 metres?
Turned inboard?
Something does not make sense here. What sort of a lathe is it?
Aside from that it looks fine!

Yes turned 1700 , 1.7 meters
yes turned inboard

lathe he's a monster
custom made by omega

nz_carver
31st July 2015, 09:06 PM
A great job Dave .Makes my 600mm table top look pretty trivial .Ted

ted we will have to catch up soon
theres a vicmarc in my shop if you want to come make some mess

nz_carver
31st July 2015, 09:50 PM
The pics look smaller then they are.

lathe was made in 1996 pre omega stubby moving to casting the beds.
the stubby that's made today only has a 1000 swing

DaveTTC
1st August 2015, 12:02 AM
That would make one hell of a peanut bowl.

Nice work

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

nz_carver
1st August 2015, 10:39 PM
That would make one hell of a peanut bowl.

Nice work

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Mate wait till you see the cookie jar

Mobyturns
2nd August 2015, 10:37 AM
"No pics - didn't happen." Certainly can't refute the size of that one with the in progress shots on the Stubby. :D

Must admit I was a little sceptical at first with the grain orientation in the first image, but on closer inspection I became impressed with the size.

DaveTTC
2nd August 2015, 12:47 PM
Mate wait till you see the cookie jar
Can i have a matching lolly jar full of jelly beans

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

smiife
2nd August 2015, 04:05 PM
Hi nz.,
Wow.....I would like to see a big one then!!
I think you are trying to tease us, but we all
want to see the lathe now:o

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd August 2015, 06:17 PM
Nice one, Dave!

(Ya gonna mount a lazy susan under it? :innocent:)

crowie
2nd August 2015, 08:08 PM
Nice one, Dave!

(Ya gonna mount a lazy susan under it? :innocent:)

That wouldn't be no lazy susan.... it'd be working hard to rotate ever with a load :rolleyes:...

Hardenfast
2nd August 2015, 09:51 PM
Evening Dave.

I've been a little out of touch with things and had no idea your skills had progressed to this level. Most impressive! Extraordinary piece of timber and even more extraordinary equipment and execution. I bet the sphincter was winkled up tight when you started it spinning.

Never seen a lathe setup like that. Do Vicmarc make a 200mm chuck? If so I must have one. As you know I bought a Stubby F600 and a Hegner VB36 (neither of which I've used yet), but I don't think they would handle that thing. Maybe the Hegner would.

Nice job. That's one for the portfolio.

Wayne

nz_carver
2nd August 2015, 11:52 PM
Evening Dave.

I've been a little out of touch with things and had no idea your skills had progressed to this level. Most impressive! Extraordinary piece of timber and even more extraordinary equipment and execution. I bet the sphincter was winkled up tight when you started it spinning.

Never seen a lathe setup like that. Do Vicmarc make a 200mm chuck? If so I must have one. As you know I bought a Stubby F600 and a Hegner VB36 (neither of which I've used yet), but I don't think they would handle that thing. Maybe the Hegner would.

Nice job. That's one for the portfolio.

Wayne
hey mate long time no chat
vicmarc 120 chuck mate 200mm jaws

im looking to do a camphor one next

Pat
3rd August 2015, 05:09 AM
Wayne, try being in the same area when someone forgets he was finishing pens . . . and puts a seriously out of round bowl blank on the Stubby . . . without adjusting the speed :;

wheelinround
3rd August 2015, 05:44 PM
I must agree with Wayne Dave you have come a long way good to see you stuck with it. Hope its for years to come Dr's ain't always right.

Hardenfast
3rd August 2015, 07:02 PM
Wayne, try being in the same area when someone forgets he was finishing pens . . . and puts a seriously out of round bowl blank on the Stubby . . . without adjusting the speed :;

He he... Yes, I know what you mean, Pat. I must admit that I once started up my Leady Lathe with a newly installed wonky blank - a really rough one, but forget to change the pulley from the high-speed sanding process from the last project. That thing took off at a hundred miles an hour - luckily, straight out through the open door and into a brick wall. No damage done.

They tell me that constantly tightening the sphincter is good for your prostrate - a bit like those pelvic floor exercises that woman do. Bit of an off topic, I know, but it's pleasing to know that that lathe work can apparently also be good for the health of your personal irrigation system. :q

Wayne

nz_carver
3rd August 2015, 07:09 PM
Pat stop ya crying like a girl and coming from the man that rocks up with a tormek with a CBN wheel and don't sharpen his tools once?

How many other mates do you have that put a Vl 240 in there workshop and then uses the excuse I bought it so my buddy has a lathe to turn on when he comes over?

artful bodger
4th August 2015, 09:25 PM
Yes turned 1700 , 1.7 meters
yes turned inboard

lathe he's a monster
custom made by omega

Be a good sport then NZ Carver and put up a picture of that humungous bowl with something next to it to compare the size with. The square table with chairs does not convince me.
Maybe a tape measure going across the diameter will shut this doubter up. Or you standing next to it holding it upright? Just cant get my head around it.
You really only 31 year old?
Impressive!.

nz_carver
4th August 2015, 10:10 PM
Be a good sport then NZ Carver and put up a picture of that humungous bowl with something next to it to compare the size with. The square table with chairs does not convince me.
Maybe a tape measure going across the diameter will shut this doubter up. Or you standing next to it holding it upright? Just cant get my head around it.
You really only 31 year old?
Impressive!.

I can't as it's now somewhere in the city I tryed to get pics but I can't.

Anyone who knows me and my work knows I don't post it offten.
and I can't see why I have to justify myself or my work to you?

I don't often keep pics after turnings leve my workshop as there is know point I believe in the next turning not looking back on the one you just done.

I can't see what my age has to do with the size??
Im lucky to be mentored by a turner that needs know interdiction.

I do what I do becoues I can.
I turn for the enjoyment and the friendships Iv made.
I get a kick out of doing big stuff anyone who knows me knows why lol

artful bodger
5th August 2015, 10:21 AM
It was a friendly request mate.
No need to vent attitude about it.
Superiority complexes are not a good look.

nz_carver
5th August 2015, 01:33 PM
Artful I have seen a number of your post it seems that you are quick to critiasiz other people's works or comments not just on this part of this forum

maybe you need to put some of your work up in here and see what it's like to be on the reserving end???

I put up work support this forum as the numbers are dropping off due to a number of reasons one of which is the negative comments from people who write them but don't post pics of there work.

I don't have time to sit take pics of everything that comes of the lathe is so one just be turning not taking my time and effort to take pics up load them for the negative that it brings by some.

To ever member who has given me a like thanks guys!:U

nz_carver
5th August 2015, 09:45 PM
Ok so Iv called the owner to double check sizes and see if I and get pics
and my mistake the start size of the blank was 1700 by the time it was trimmed rounded and trued up and finished the finished sizes was 1550.

The pic is a bad pic it's hanging off the back of the table and pushed more to one side

The pic had to be cropped before it was uploaded so it was squished abit.

DaveTTC
5th August 2015, 10:02 PM
big is big ... I'm not going to quibble over 150mm. I'd be more than pleased to

1) have a blank that size
2) have a lathe to turn it on
3) turn it with finese you have

DaveTTC

Turning Wood Into Art

Simplicity
5th August 2015, 10:21 PM
What Dave said
Looks amazing

wheelinround
6th August 2015, 11:31 AM
I can see the point being made re-sizes quoted by Dave 1700 round gives the impression he is taking circumference.
While he is saying it does he mean 1700 dia now 1500 dia. ???

The image of the table eludes to the size being far less. I can see this as I sit at my desk which is 1500 wide 950 deep. thats 1700mm just doesn't equate.
1700mm dia is taller than LOML.

I have owned a table like the platter is on and the chairs do give some size away unless those chairs are far wider than normal chairs the table would not be larger than 1100/1200sq if that. Even the legs steel tube 40mm to 500 mm sq is a reference.

1700mm circumference is approx 550 dia. So 1500 round around 477mm dia

That all aside Dave has achieved well from where he started :2tsup:.

DaveTCC no reason you can't turn a 750mm 29" is the swing outboard recommended on the Nova 3000. I have done 18" also done a face plate to 700mm. on mine.

Oldgreybeard
6th August 2015, 02:05 PM
I have just taken some measurements from the photo using Photoshop, namely

Horizontal diameter of table = 222 pixels
Back of chair = 60 pixels
These dimensions indicate that the table is approximately 3.7 times the width of the back of the chair. Admittedly the image is not ideal for taking measurements as it was not taken square on. The camera angle does distort the image but is unlikely to significantly distort the ratio of the width of the chair to the diameter of the platter as the 2 measurements were taken parallel to each other.

I have similar chairs and they are 450mm wide - 450 x 3.7 = 1665. Even if the chair in the background is only 400mm wide, the claimed diameter of 1550 mm is still in the right ball park. So I think the image supports his measurement of 1550 mm diameter.

It's a great piece of timber and well turned. Congratulations.

Bob

nz_carver
6th August 2015, 02:29 PM
See the last to post are ansering the question why people have dropped of from posting.

The fact the people cant take it for what it is.
Its all well and good to sit behind your computer how about stepping up?

Its the ones that sit on the side lines and pick folts with other people I fell sorry for.
its even sadder that you have nothing better to do with your time then to sit there and look for things wrong with peoples work.

Acco
6th August 2015, 10:14 PM
Only a handful of people know this, but I was the one who delivered the lathe from Melbourne to nz_carvers place that this piece was turned on, and I can definitely guarantee that this lathe is very capable of turning said platter

DaveTTC
6th August 2015, 11:37 PM
Yeah I've been in his workshop. His lathe is a tad bigger than mine [emoji6]

Dave

The Turning Cowboy

wheelinround
7th August 2015, 12:52 PM
Yeah I've been in his workshop. His lathe is a tad bigger than mine [emoji6]

Dave

The Turning Cowboy

That depends on which one you mean Dave haven''t you got that monster long thing 400yr old.:q

DaveTTC
7th August 2015, 01:29 PM
I do have a the or two.

Nova 3000 my main stay. Then a little Jet and occasionally the hafco

Still not sure im ready to tackle a monster blank like nzcarver has

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Big A
10th August 2015, 10:14 PM
Stick with it nz_carver, you have nothing to worry about. About this time last year I posted about a WIP, a RRG bowl that the class clown likened to a brake drum, and had not the best experience in this forum.

That "little one", as you describe it, is a lovely bit of work. Red Gum is beautiful timber, and the amount of it that warms houses and propels paddle steamers in Vic seems a shame. I have brought a bit of it back from the Rutherglen area, on our two trips to Victoria.

Gotta admit that I use wipe on poly on it though. There are probably better finishes to use, like your nitro, but WOP is what I have.

Cheers,
Alister.