PDA

View Full Version : Maktec 1650 watt router

dan_tom
26th July 2005, 03:33 PM
Hi there

I am thinking of getting another router, so that we can keep our Makita attached to the router table. I have seen the Maktec 1650 watt routers in the hardware store and wondered what people thought of them (being a cheaper make of Makita). A deal at the moment is either get a Makita 1000 watt for $258 or get a Maktec 1650 watt for $259.

Having had the Makita, I would never go back to getting crap tools again (ie: GMC was previous to this...).

Cheers
Dan

doug the slug
26th July 2005, 10:40 PM
Having had the Makita, I would never go back to getting crap tools again (ie: GMC was previous to this
Im doing the opposite, i want to get my makita 3600br permanently out of the table, cos its too good as a handheld. i will be getting the triton to put in the table, but i guess that counts as gmc nowhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

Doug

routermaniac
26th July 2005, 11:34 PM
Hi there

I am thinking of getting another router, so that we can keep our Makita attached to the router table. I have seen the Maktec 1650 watt routers in the hardware store and wondered what people thought of them (being a cheaper make of Makita). A deal at the moment is either get a Makita 1000 watt for $258 or get a Maktec 1650 watt for $259.

Having had the Makita, I would never go back to getting crap tools again (ie: GMC was previous to this...).

Cheers
DanDan I've seen the router that you mentioned, it looks very well made but I must admit I don't own one, I suppose for that price you can't go wrong really. The alternative is to dish out the bucks and go triton in the table as has been suggested or consider other brands, the hitachi and the heavy duty bosch models are also good but pricy.

regards

Marios

Template Tom
27th July 2005, 11:14 PM
Hi there

Cheers
Dan
Dan
From some one who has been using Makita Routers for over 30 years I recently purchased 4 of the Maktec for the school where I am teaching. Had a slight problem with one which has now been fixed. I will keep in touch with results as to how they are progressing. They are only used one day per week so they are not getting a great deal of use. So far so good.
Tom

joseph84
28th July 2005, 09:46 PM
Tom best to use a Triton router for the router table. Much easier to adjust then a makita and worth that extra $60 for it, you wont be sorry

Template Tom
28th July 2005, 11:57 PM
Tom best to use a Triton router for the router table. Much easier to adjust then a makita and worth that extra $60 for it, you wont be sorry
Joseph
I have a triton router for under the bench and that is where it stays not suitable for the plunge mode
Tom

doug the slug
29th July 2005, 12:18 AM
Joseph
I have a triton router for under the bench and that is where it stays not suitable for the plunge mode
Tom
Tom,

i am looking at getting a triton router soon so i can have my makita back out of the table fulltime hand held.....but......you are the first person ive heard say that the triton isnt suitable for the plunge mode too.

Serious question, as your previous posts indicate that you have considerable experience with routing, what do you find wrong with the triton router in plunge mode, or hand held. i wanted the triton for the occasional out of the table jobs too because the makita doesnt have variable speed.

bsrlee
29th July 2005, 02:01 AM
I had a look at the Maktec 1/2" router - I think it was the same as the one you are referring to. Looks to be a nice unit, has the screw adjustment like the big boy, but looks to be single speed - don't know if it is soft start, didn't read the manual. On/Off switch is a simple old fashioned toggle rather than one of the streamlined things lke a light switch.

If I was looking to buy another 1/2" router, it would be right up there at the top of the list - I have a Triton & 3 GMC 'fixed base' routers, plus 2 x 1/4" routers.

Template Tom
29th July 2005, 11:22 AM
Tom,

i am looking at getting a triton router soon so i can have my makita back out of the table fulltime hand held.....but......you are the first person ive heard say that the triton isnt suitable for the plunge mode too.

Serious question, as your previous posts indicate that you have considerable experience with routing, what do you find wrong with the triton router in plunge mode, or hand held. i wanted the triton for the occasional out of the table jobs too because the makita doesnt have variable speed.

Doug
You will have to realise that the Triton Router does not have a good supply of Template Guides. I am not sure if you really know my involvement with the use of the guides. In fact when it did appear on the market for the first time there was no mention of the use of guides as there was no place to put them. This decision may not have had any effect on 90% of router users who never use the guides anyway and on 99% of router users who had never considered using the 40mm guide.

I was in contact with Triton and made this observation and I may have been partly responsible for them producing their set of guides after I demonstrated the advantages of such accessories. When it was announced that Guides were to be made available I thought this was a step in the right direction but I was to be dissapointed to find that it was a set imported from the USA and all the guides were in imperial measurement, and the largest guide was maybe 3/4". (Restricted the size of cutter that could be used)

I still had further discussions with one of the staff members and I pointed out what I thought was their mistake on introducing the set provided. There was no 40mm Guide (Having other routers I found that the Hitachi 40mm Guides fitted) So I suppose that may have solved the guide problem.

The other point was there as no provision for using the router in the 'Ski' Mode a method that I use extensively with my Makita and Hitachi Touters.

So Doug. I suppose from my point of view I did consider the Triton Router was Ideal for use in the bench and not 'Plunge' mode friendly. I still say it is great for use in the bench position It has great safety features when changing cutters in the below bench position. For those who are not aware of this feature it will automatically lock the on/of switch adding safety. Though I still prefer disconnecting from the power supply.

What other router will allow you to unlock the chuck from the top. (I still have memories of trying to change the cutter with two spanners under the table.) My knuckle are now okay Yes I must be old to some of you who may have never heard of two spanners for the router. Triton have come a long way and solved that problem but neglected some other features. Though it could be said they did their research and found that no one was using guide so why include them.

Makita at one stage removed the guide as one of their accessories for a number of years. I think that I could honestly say I was the one responsible for Makita re-introducing the guide not the 16mm as before but the 40mm. Again Makita made a mistake by not including an explaination as to how they were used so I suppose the 40mm guide is now sitting in the bottom of a cupboard like it's 16mm predecer.

I like the Triton but for use in the Bench position for the reasons I have submitted above.

Best of luck and I hope this information may be of help to you and others looking for a new router.
Tom

doug the slug
29th July 2005, 10:38 PM
Yes I must be old to some of you who may have never heard of two spanners for the router. ...........

I think that I could honestly say I was the one responsible for Makita re-introducing the guide not the 16mm as before but the 40mm. Again Makita made a mistake by not including an explaination as to how they were used so I suppose the 40mm guide is now sitting in the bottom of a cupboard like it's 16mm predecer.

Tom
THanks for the reply Tom. what you say makes a lot of sense from a template guiding perspective, and my router uses 2 collet spanners too.

i got the 16mm guide with my makita a long time ago and as you say theres not a lot you can do with it as it restricts the size of bits that can be used, but then so does the old router with one speed (flat out). both features mean that you can only use smaller bits. i am reaching the stage of wanting to do more template type work in my current projects of renovating the house and boatbuilding and your post above brought a lot into perspective and larger guides are essential whichever router im using at the time. if i cant get suitable ones then i guess i can make them.

Thanks again