PDA

View Full Version : Question about ETS 150/3 EQ sander

sam63
26th July 2005, 05:51 PM
Hi everyone,

I have an opportunity to get a Festool sander, which I do not get very often :) Since I do not have RO sander I'd like to get one of the ETS150 series, possibly the 150/3 model since it is recommended as the best all around sander in the market. As far as I know there two of them, 150/5 for course sanding and 150/3 for fine sanding. Festool recommends grit size from 220 to 1400 for the 150/3 model. Here is the question. If I want to use this model with 100 grit size for course sanding, what happens?

Cheers
Sam

monoman
26th July 2005, 06:10 PM
Hi Sam,

I have a 150/3. I use it with grits ranging from 80 to 600. What happens with coarse grits is that it removes material faster than finer grits. In other words - no problem.

Go for it! They are fabbo. Oh yeah. They work even better with a DC. I bought the big CT-33 extractor, but would've been happy with the CT-Mini as I've only filled 2 bags with it. I fact, I'm happy to swap my exctractor for the mini if anyone is interested.

Cheers

Rebus
27th July 2005, 11:12 PM
Greetings Sam,

I have the 150/3 and I regularly use it with 80 grit and above without any problems. In fact I have even used it with 60 and 40 grit which I find useful for removing very tough paint layers. A word of warning, 80 grit will remove a LOT of material before you know it. 60/40 grit need fairly careful handling or your wood will look like it has been attacked by a powered rasp.

As monoman said, it works even better with dust extraction. In fact, dust extraction is highly recommended (apart from the health and convenience aspects) as it really helps to keep the sanding pad clean and prevent buildup. I would say that the pads last 2-3 times longer with extraction.

Regards

monoman
28th July 2005, 12:50 AM
A word of warning, 80 grit will remove a LOT of material before you know it. 60/40 grit need fairly careful handling or your wood will look like it has been attacked by a powered rasp.

I used mine to finnish sand a 10.5 x 1.8 metre veneered boardroom table (made in 4 sections). Because of the size, the veneer was not pre-sanded, which meant I had to do a fair bit of sanding. I didn't burn through the veneer once. This is the level of control you get with one of these suckers.

I would say that the pads last 2-3 times longer with extraction.

Absolutely they do.

Cheers

sam63
28th July 2005, 11:31 AM
monoman, Rebus,

I really appreacite the feedback. My next question is where to buy it. I was thinking about going to Carbatec Sydney. I have been told that there is no discont on Festool products. Is that the case?

Cheers
Sam

monoman
28th July 2005, 11:53 AM
I have been told that there is no discont on Festool products. Is that the case?

Actually, Festool are under investigation by the ACCC for potential retail price fixing. You won't get a discount anywhere.

Pucker up and pay the price, you won't regret it.

If you want one, and the DC too, let me know. I'm considering selling mine to fund a new 8" planner. Don't know what I'll do without the sander, but I'll deal with that later.

Cheers

shayrebel
28th July 2005, 01:37 PM
past experiences has told me that you don't get a discount on the units,but you can usually get a good deal on the consumables(sanding pads),which you would need anyway. If you can spare the cash go for the ROTex,i have both the 150/3 and 150/3,but use the RO more often due to its versatility

Richardwoodhead
30th July 2005, 11:53 AM
Sam, a late note but couldn't resist jumping in to say the Festool 150/3 EQ is the best sanding investment I ever made (and I've made a lot of them). I use it for mainly 80 - 320 grit. And always with dust extraction (A MUST, I reckon - no dust and extends the life of the pads exponentially). I used it non stop for about 5 years! Changed out the base pad a few times. Finally needed an ovehaul (new brushes) a couple of weeks ago. I was in the middle of a job, so I immediately bought a new 150/3 without any hesitation. And got the old one fixed. Anyway, you won't regret it.

Richard

sam63
1st August 2005, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the feedback. It did help making up my mind. I contacted Carbatec Sydney on last Friday. The person on the phone gave me a price which is pretty much same as Festool online price. When I asked him if there was any special of giving consumables, he promised a set of sanding pads and keep one of teh sanders for me. I ended up driving to Auburn on Saturday morning. First I found out they only had floor stock left, and they also refused to give any sanding pads. Since the person I talked to was not working on Saturday, I had to try to convince someone else. After trying 1/2 an hour he said he can give 4 sanding pads. I got really frustrated and left. Frankley, I get better customer service when I deal with Lee Valley in Canada. Could anyone tell me if this is normal dealing with these people? If so, ordering online is better option. At least I do not have to travel an hour on Saturday morning. Where do you buy your Festool products?

Cheers
Sam

shayrebel
1st August 2005, 05:56 PM
very strange,i have bought all my festool equipment and a great many other toys from carbatec sydney and have always had great service.Obviuously if you get a great deal on an item,get the persons name that you spoke to(for future reference,and tell me his name also)

sam63
2nd August 2005, 02:47 PM
Hi shayrebel,

I do realise that, but that is what happened. :mad: Occasionally I do buy things from Carbatec; however I am not a big customer like yourself. Perhaps that was the reason for the treatment. Regardless I'd like to know where else I can buy Festool products unless you want me go back and talk to them again?

Cheers
Sam

shayrebel
2nd August 2005, 07:23 PM
the only places that i know are Carbatec,Woodworks at meadowbank and F & K on parramatta road at stanmore,the last runs the Festool stand at the woodshow and have the larger display of festool stuff

sam63
3rd August 2005, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the feedback shayrebel. I'll check the F&K since they are closer.

Cheers
Sam

MikeK
3rd August 2005, 04:49 PM
Apparently there is a Festool sale on the following link:

http://www.idealtools.com.au/

Is $489.50 (inc GST), a good price for one of these? Delivery is also included.

Regards,
Mike.

shayrebel
3rd August 2005, 07:02 PM
festool regularily has sales on and all festool dealers will have the brochures available,having a quick look at the spring brochure,i'm tempted to buy more stuff,got to love those systainers for all the small bits and pieces,although sortimo(metabo) does a larger steel cased unit for about half the price,although i haven't seen it for a while

boban
4th August 2005, 12:33 AM
Reading this thread with some interest as I am looking to replace my cheapie ROS.

Has anyone got any real experience with the Metabo which has the 3mm and 5mm orbit in the one tool. The Metabo is about $50 cheaper which is not really an issue. Both have a 3 year warranty.

Any opinions not based solely on bias?

sam63
5th August 2005, 06:39 PM
MikeK,

Just talked to people from F&K in Sydney. $489.50 is the retail price of the Festool ETS150/3-EQ Plus. I do not think that is a geniune sale.

Cheers
Sam

shayrebel
6th August 2005, 08:05 AM
festool never have genuine sales,if you look at the "sale brochures" that they bring out its usually you buy the item and and get a discounted consumable or something small for free,the latest has a systainer on offer,but you need to buy one of the higher priced sets.While the price is higher,they do the job perfectly.Personally i'm a big fan and have a large selection of festool,sanders multiple units.
the joys of woodworking,always new toys coming along

Greg Q
10th August 2005, 11:50 PM
Forget trying to get a deal or discount on Festool products. The few times that I have purchased one I've also had a shopping list of non-Festool products for the dealer to deeply discount. Festool actually is able to verify the selling price through their inventory control system, and its that way world-wide. What's not clear to me is why the prices are so much lower in North America. I can get (for example) vacuum bags for my CT-22 airmailed here for 35% less than the local price.

Having had that little rant, let me add to the many voices in favour of these tools. You won't be disappointed

Greg