PDA

View Full Version : Bowl with a difference

powderpost
3rd August 2015, 05:50 PM
I have been talked into participating in an Exhibition of wood work. When going through the stuff on the shelves, I came across this little beast. A fair while back, Vic Wood encouraged a Canadian turner, Stephen Hogbin to be artist in residence at the Melbourne State College. He would turn a bowl and then cut it up to create something else. This "bowl" is a result of that. The "bowl" is first turned normally then cut in half and re-glued. Then it is cut in half again and re-glued again form this shape. This one is out of red cedar and measures 250mm long 85mm wide and 105mm high.

Jim

dai sensei
3rd August 2015, 08:30 PM
Certainly different, not sure if I like it though :-

powderpost
3rd August 2015, 09:45 PM
Certainly different, not sure if I like it though :-

I can appreciate that Neil, it is not everyone's cup of tea... It was an testing project to complete.

Jim

turnerted
4th August 2015, 05:11 PM
An interesting piece Jim . I have Hogbin's book and I found you have to be absolutely spot on with the shape otherwise when you rejoin the parts they don't line up .You looked to have nailed it .Ted

powderpost
4th August 2015, 09:21 PM
An interesting piece Jim . I have Hogbin's book and I found you have to be absolutely spot on with the shape otherwise when you rejoin the parts they don't line up .You looked to have nailed it .Ted

Thanks Ted, you are right, they are challenging to put together.

Jim

DaveTTC
5th August 2015, 11:01 AM
Definitely find it interesting. Majes me ponder where you could take it with different shapes

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

powderpost
5th August 2015, 11:48 AM
Definitely find it interesting. Majes me ponder where you could take it with different shapes

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

The only limitation is your imagination, but they definitely need some serious planning.

Jim

Christos
14th August 2015, 05:07 PM
It is an interesting.

I must admit that I do not like the diamond in the middle.

Ilya
14th August 2015, 06:16 PM
Cool idea!

chuck1
14th August 2015, 10:07 PM
I enjoy flicking through a book of Mr hogbin's I've got. And I really like your creative bowl!

powderpost
15th August 2015, 08:15 PM
I enjoy flicking through a book of Mr hogbin's I've got. And I really like your creative bowl!

Thanks Chuck, some of it is a bit way out, but then the idea behind some of it gives me some ideas to extend the segmenting, that I some times do.. :wink:

Jim

chuck1
16th August 2015, 08:21 AM
I had a go at his idea of turning between centres then split it on the bandsaw to make 2 bowls. . There was extra cutting but I just stopped at that

Osbojo
2nd September 2015, 10:30 PM
Ok Jim, I give up! I'm almost too embarrassed to ask but.......

I've thought about it, drawn it up and had two goes at turning it and getting nowhere. Even bought a copy of Hogbin, still no go.
I took what you said literally and turned a bowl with a similar profile to what I gather yours was, cut it in half and glued it cut it in
half and glued it. The profiles I've tried -
The only other thought I had was to turn, cut and glue, further turning, cut, glue and finish but gawd knows what the profile would look like!!

The piece doesn't really do anything for me but it sure has me sucked in trying to work it out!

Mobyturns
2nd September 2015, 10:43 PM
Jim,

On the weekend you missed Pat Johnston making a variation of two bowls turned together as a sphere with a tenon each end. Pat then turned the bowls on an inclined axis between cup centers, manipulating the axis rotation. After he was happy with the outside - split the bowls then mounted each half on the tenon in the scroll chuck to turn the inside. :D

powderpost
5th September 2015, 10:55 PM
Ok Jim, I give up! I'm almost too embarrassed to ask but.......

I've thought about it, drawn it up and had two goes at turning it and getting nowhere. Even bought a copy of Hogbin, still no go.
I took what you said literally and turned a bowl with a similar profile to what I gather yours was, cut it in half and glued it cut it in
half and glued it. The profiles I've tried -
The only other thought I had was to turn, cut and glue, further turning, cut, glue and finish but gawd knows what the profile would look like!!

The piece doesn't really do anything for me but it sure has me sucked in trying to work it out!

Looks like I will have to do a W.I.P.? Got a full program for the next couple of weeks, but will see what I can do.

Jim

Osbojo
7th September 2015, 05:09 PM
Looks like I will have to do a W.I.P.? Got a full program for the next couple of weeks, but will see what I can do.

Jim

Thanks Jim, Love to see it. Looking at Hogbin's book, it looks like it evolved from his 'Clam Shell' but even given that I can't work it out. He says that he makes diagonal cuts but that doesn't help. Look forward to your WIP.

John.

Christos
7th September 2015, 06:06 PM
Looks like I will have to do a W.I.P.?....

It would be a very interesting work in progress I will look out for it when it comes.

I have seen a you tube video from some wood turning club in the US on similar lines but not able to locate this at the moment. I should also mention that the demo of the piece was not as complex as the one Jim presented.

Sawdust Maker
7th September 2015, 07:47 PM
A WIP
beauty bottler, chair pulled up and anzacs confiscated from the kids
when's the first slide being projected?

Dalboy
8th September 2015, 08:06 AM
Not my style but very well done and quite simple when you look at it carefully along with some careful cutting