PDA

View Full Version : Tasmanian Blackwood ???

Sandy Johnston
27th May 2002, 08:58 AM
I have obtained some "Tasmanian Blackwood" pieces for turning but do not know of this timber... it is freshly cut over the past week and is dark brown on the middle 5 - 7 inches and green-yellow in the outer 3-5 inches. It is quite heavy but that could be the moisture content.
Question please....
Is this a "good" timger to work with - hard /soft wood and is it stable? Any problems to expect?
I intend to turn some bowls and goblets and possible some ornamental work too.
Any help would be great.

Thankyou
Sandy across the ditch

Eastie
27th May 2002, 04:26 PM
Sandy,
Have a look at this link from the tasmanian governments timber website - (& bookmark it)

http://www.tastimber.tas.gov.au/species/blackwood_01.asp

There are some small links marked - PDF/General/technical Info - under the main blackwood heading - check out the tech info one.

Some love it, I hate it - each unto their own.

Mark

[This message has been edited by Eastie (edited 27 May 2002).]

ptc
27th May 2002, 09:31 PM
I bought a bit in tassy,[that's what they told me it was].
it was like a bit of concrete,i gave up.
makes a good door stop.

------------------
p.t.c

ptc
28th May 2002, 11:27 AM
Sorry, doorstop did not mean to use your name in vain.

------------------
p.t.c

Sandy Johnston
29th May 2002, 09:37 AM
Thankyou guys - Eastie hit the nail on the head and I am now up with the play.

Cheerz

ubeaut
2nd June 2002, 09:37 AM
Amongst other things it causes dermatitis, asthma, irritation to nose and throat. It is also banned from use in all Tas schools and I think Vic schools because its use caused tens of thousands of hours lost work through sickness per year.

Cheers - Neil

JackoH
9th June 2002, 12:58 PM
In my opinion, for what it's worth, Tassie Blackwood (acacia melanoxylon) is one of the best and most rewarding of all timbers for a variety of uses, including turning.I am currently finishing a pair of bedside table lamps from Vic blackwood(same variety) which I am very pleased with. 'er indoors has cast many a covetous look at some magnificent blackwood kitchen benchtops and cupboards at a friends house.
I understand that because of the cooler climate trees in Tassie generally grow more slowly and consequently the figuring and colouring is more intense than the same variety grown here in the warmeer climate of mainland Oz.
I can't argue with Neils comments on the dangers of the wood, except to say that I have probably turned more blackwod than any other variety with no problems, although I wear a Racal Dustmaster most of the time, particularly when sanding. ALL timbers should be treated as potential health hazards, as most of them are!.
Have a look at the site referred to above by Mark. I think that says it all about this magnificent timber! http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif:
Regards John H.
(sorry this reads as though it should be on the "Have Your Say" forum!)

[This message has been edited by John Hambly (edited 10 June 2002).]

[This message has been edited by John Hambly (edited 10 June 2002).]