PDA

View Full Version : Do you have unused swarf?

Ayuka
3rd August 2015, 08:29 PM
Dear All,

I am currently in need for metal (various metal) swarf for my craft making. If anyone please have some that you don't need could you please let me know? Thank you in advance for your help. :)

KBs PensNmore
3rd August 2015, 09:57 PM
Dear All,

I am currently in need for metal (various metal) swarf for my craft making. If anyone please have some that you don't need could you please let me know? Thank you in advance for your help. :)

Hi Ayuka,
Welcome to the forum, when you say that you are looking for swarf, could you be a little more specific please as swarf comes in a variety, spirals from lathe work both big and small, chips from milling, filings from hacksaws and milling cast iron etc.
Any chance of a photo of your craft work, to get an idea of what it is you are looking for, please.
Kryn

Ayuka
6th August 2015, 11:28 AM
Hi Kryn.

Thanks for your reply. Oh my, I didn’t know there were many types of swarf LOL… I am not familiar with metal working so I apologise if I ask or say silly things. After thinking it through, research and re-read mynotes, the swarf that I need needs to be anything that is not too fine, so I reckon the one from the lathe and chips from milling is the best(?) It gives me the different sizes required for different purposes and just the right dimensions. Do you actually differentiate what type of swarf when you do clean up?

So this craft that I am doing is called orgonites, it is half part resin and half partmetal. I have been experimenting using cut up steel wool but the result is kind of rough. Big swarf can be used to make big orgonites, but when I want to do little pieces or a more delicate one, I need different finer swarf and also variety of metal to make it feel good. I tried using cables for the copper, but it takes time, energy and patience to strip little cables off its plastic casing and cut them into bits,and it doesn’t yield much either. Probably I can just chuck it on fire to get rid of the plastic but I am not looking forward to doing it. LOL. That’s why Ithink of asking the metal working community if they can help me with this problem and I can help them recycle the swarf into something beautiful and useful.
Here are some pic of orgonites (not mine) that I am hoping to be able to make when I can source the right swarf.

sossity
6th August 2015, 12:57 PM
This might be completely irrelevant, but as a kid I remember playing around with polyester resin making paperweights etc. I think it used something like Methyl Ethyl Keytone Peroxide as a catylist hardener (I just looked it up and that seems to be what they use now). I seem to remember that is a powerful oxidant and will bleach a lot of things but also cause steel to corrode very quickly while hardening. you might prefer stainless steel or other corrosion resistant metals, unless the rusty look is what you are after, if its the same type of resin you are using.

Ayuka
6th August 2015, 01:56 PM
This might be completely irrelevant, but as a kid I remember playing around with polyester resin making paperweights etc. I think it used something like Methyl Ethyl Keytone Peroxide as a catylist hardener (I just looked it up and that seems to be what they use now). I seem to remember that is a powerful oxidant and will bleach a lot of things but also cause steel to corrode very quickly while hardening. you might prefer stainless steel or other corrosion resistant metals, unless the rusty look is what you are after, if its the same type of resin you are using.

Hi George,
I am still learning this craft as well, and I found that like anything else, I need to be precise with measurement. The catalyst is only added like 3ml to 100ml of resin. I just follow the instruction very carefully and so far, it has gone great. Thanks for your concern tho. BTW have you got what I am after? Let me know :)

Stustoys
6th August 2015, 05:01 PM
Is this the sort of thing you are looking for?

In a perfect world it wouldn't exist :wink:

Stuart

Ayuka
6th August 2015, 06:33 PM
Yup, exactly that! :D

So in a non-perfect world, what kind of swarf exists? Stuart, Please enlighten me.

Stustoys
6th August 2015, 08:29 PM
In a perfect world swarf would be little chips or short little curls at worst. More like this picture.
http://www.asmc.uk.com/perch/resources/turnings-450-.jpg
Long swarf can be dangerous stuff if it starts spinning around the chuck. Its harder to handle, takes up more room and is general a pita.

How much do you think you'll need?

Stuart

hmmmm I think I misunderstood the question :-

Ayuka
6th August 2015, 09:12 PM
No, you answered very well, :) How much do you have?

Stustoys
6th August 2015, 09:40 PM
About a 15 litre bucket full. I'll weigh it tomorrow.
I turned a little S/S today but there isnt a lot of that.

Stuart

Ayuka
6th August 2015, 10:38 PM
WOW.... thanks, I'll wait till tomorrow and we'll keep in touch. Thanks Stuart :)

Stustoys
7th August 2015, 01:18 PM
A little less that 4kg. You know this stuff can be razor sharp right?
PM me your address(if you can PM) or email me I'm pretty sure you can email through here.
I may be in Skye Sunday afternoon if you'd rather not wait for Aus post.

Stuart

Ayuka
7th August 2015, 11:40 PM
Hi Stuart,

We may be able to pick I up when you are at Skye? let me know when and where ( sorry still not familiar with the forum, pm or email)

Thanks a lot :)

Ayu