PDA

View Full Version : Buying workshop electrical fittings.

.RC.
5th August 2015, 12:23 PM
DISCLAIMER

No liability is accepted by UBeaut or the Wood Working Forum's administrators
or moderators for advice offered by members posting replies
or asking questions regarding electrical work.
We strongly advise contacting a Licensed Tradeperson for all electrical work.
WARNING

Information supplied within posts is not to be considered as detailed formal instructions to complete a task.
Members following such information do so at their own risk

I am going to buy a few electrical odds and ends and wondering what would be a good online shop to purchase from...

I would be getting some 4 core+ earth 2.5mm cable, a couple of 5 pin 20 amp switch/outlets.

Couple of plugs and a 4 pin 20 amp extension socket.

Probably some other stuff as well..

BobL
5th August 2015, 12:57 PM
I've purchased various plugs and sockets for the mens shed from this supplier.
http://stores.ebay.com.au/greenconceptledlighting?_dmd=2&_nkw=3+phase

The products are good quality and so far have worked well.

Old Croc
5th August 2015, 01:30 PM
RC, I just had a look at the link Bob posted and they certainly are cheaper than my supplier. The only thing to watch is the manufacturers moved the locating spline on the new gear, so an existing older plug of the same size and rating will not fit the new socket outlets. I bought some new plugs as I aquired other machines and they did not fit into the existing older socket outlets, so I pulled them apart and milled a new slot and rotated the guts around to line up. And before anyone jumps on me, i am an electrician and its all my gear.I am not advocating you do that, just be aware of the old and new.
rgds,
Crocy.

sacc51
5th August 2015, 04:36 PM
I'm a bit of a scrooge and mostly go wherever is cheapest; however, I find things like cable, sockets, light fittings, etc, are better bought from an electrical wholesaler such as Laurence and Hanson. They have a wider range of goods than hardwares, better quality products, can offer excellent advice, and if you know a sparky with an ABN the price comes down dramatically. For a simple job like installing a few switches and lights, parts can probably be bought a bit cheaper from a hardware, but as tradies are so dam rough you need good fittings to stand up to their ham fisted butchery. How many tradies are aware of what torque settings on a cordless drill are for, how many can feel when a screw is as tight as it can be before it strips and most importantly, how many actually care
DIY is definately the way to go, I've bought switches, sockets, lights, cable, conduit and everything else needed for the job, dug the hole to the required depth for conduit, run cable to the meter box, installed everything myself and then called out a sparky to check what I've done and complete the connection to the meter box on four sheds - hell of a lot cheaper! But best of all you get a better, neater job this way because you're not paying a tradie to take every shortcut in the book to save money. It's your time so you can do it properly without the ham fisted butchery that seems to come with a trady job.

jack620
5th August 2015, 04:40 PM
Always do my own electrical work. Wouldn't let a tradesman anywhere near my property. I find Middys the best place for cable and fittings.

RayG
5th August 2015, 05:02 PM
Depending on what sort of stuff you are after, it's worth opening a trade account, and getting the discounts, discounts off retail prices are generally pretty substantial.

I generally pick up from the local distributor, I don't buy much stock electrical stuff on line, but you could try the manufacturers web sites, and see what the pricing is like.

http://www.nhp.com.au
https://www.clipsal.com/trade

Ray

Pearo
5th August 2015, 05:18 PM
sparkydirect is about the cheapest you will find. There is another mob on the southside of brisbane that is pretty good pricewise too but the name escapes me.

wbleeker
5th August 2015, 05:19 PM
I have used a mob on Ebay called Electrotraders, I have bought a couple of 3 phase extensions and 3 phase outlets and plugs, all good. They are based in Qld too which is good for you.
Will

Theberylbloke
5th August 2015, 10:25 PM
sparkydirect is about the cheapest you will find. There is another mob on the southside of brisbane that is pretty good pricewise too but the name escapes me.

I've used Sparky direct a couple of times and fond the service good and prices reasonable.

Cheers

The Beryl Bloke

.RC.
6th August 2015, 09:20 AM
Thanks everyone.... I will check out the Qld ones... I have bought from sparkydirect before..

eskimo
6th August 2015, 09:33 AM
I have a so called trade account with L&H..they are very dear compared to the on line suppliers

(Having said that I use P&R electrical here in Adelaide, and compare to the online guys)

BobL
6th August 2015, 09:45 AM
I have a so called trade account with L&H..they are very dear compared to the on line suppliers

(Having said that I use P&R electrical here in Adelaide, and compare to the online guys)

Recently at the mens shed we needed 4 pendant style 15A sockets and as I was going to do a bunch of other shopping I said I would pick these up.
Our resident shed sparky suggested a large Australian wide retailer and that if I said I was from a a mens shed I would get a trade price.
I was shocked to hear that retail on these was $95 EACH! and trade price was $81 - wow a whopping 15% discount.
On line I found them for $29 each.

It's not like the Aussei branded ones are even made in OZ anyway.

eskimo
6th August 2015, 09:58 AM
Recently at the mens shed we needed 4 pendant style 15A sockets and as I was going to do a bunch of other shopping I said I would pick these up.
Our resident shed sparky suggested a large Australian wide retailer and that if I said I was from a a mens shed I would get a trade price.
I was shocked to hear that retail on these was $95 EACH! and trade price was $81 - wow a whopping 15% discount.
On line I found them for $29 each.

It's not like the Aussei branded ones are even made in OZ anyway.

dont use L&H unless I really have to eg saves time for customer if they close by etc...in most cases the hardware shop are cheaper
trade is at least 40% off

Pearo
6th August 2015, 11:25 AM
I have used a mob on Ebay called Electrotraders, I have bought a couple of 3 phase extensions and 3 phase outlets and plugs, all good. They are based in Qld too which is good for you.
Will

That was the other mob I was thinking off. Never used them before, but you can save a couple of bucks over sparkdirect on a few things.

Thanks everyone.... I will check out the Qld ones... I have bought from sparkydirect before..

I use sparkydirect almost exclusively now. I have been out to their warehouse too, and they are pretty good bunch of blokes.

.RC.
6th August 2015, 01:47 PM
Put an order in with both as sparkydirect does not seem to sell cable by the metre.. I do not need 100m of 2.5mm 4 core+earth.