PDA

View Full Version : surface finish

TED C
5th August 2015, 08:18 PM
Hi all
I have had reason to make a fuel dipstick, the stick looks o.k. and does what a fuel stick should do, however I can't see the fuel level on the stick.
The stick is made of aluminum with a brass insert, the reason for the insert is, after the first attempt to get a reading failed, I dipped a piece of brass in the fuel, I could see the level, so I added the brass strip.
Job done, nice and clean, too clean, can't see the fuel, I have removed the patina, so the question is how to get a finish on the brass that will} not contaminate the fuel and will stay put. I am unable to see the fuel on the aluminum whether it is polished or left dull. Has anybody had a similar problem?
Regards
Ted

Michael G
5th August 2015, 08:42 PM
I am unable to see the fuel on the aluminum whether it is polished or left dull. Has anybody had a similar problem?

Off hand - no.
However, I have seen dipsticks with a cross hatch type pattern on them that helps hold on to oil, so possibly putting some slight grooves in with a file or even drilling some small holes (dimples really) that the fuel could get suck into with capillary action?

Michael

Wimmera Jack
5th August 2015, 09:35 PM
Wood works wonders. Just like the old fuel dip sticks the service stations used to use.

Hooroo.

John.

simonl
5th August 2015, 10:00 PM
Maybe try increasing the surface area, same reason as Michael says, to hold or trap the fuel long enough for you to get a reading. A knurled finish sounds like an idea worth trying but nore sure how it would go on a dipstick being so small in cross sectional area.

Simon

Combustor
5th August 2015, 11:18 PM
The last couple of dipsticks I have made for oil or small fuel tanks have used a bright steel rod and I have given them a quick "oil blue" job so that the fluid shows quite well and the finish is fairly durable. Easy to redo the finish if they ever rust or lose their finish.
Combustor.

C-47
6th August 2015, 11:03 AM
Ted,
The fuel dipsticks I've seen / used are aluminium with a sand blasted looking finish, quite fine, but the fuel line remains visible and doesn't run.
Alan

sacc51
6th August 2015, 11:48 AM
I've used a bead blast finish to good effect, the matt finish highlights the fluid (petrol in my case).

TED C
6th August 2015, 07:42 PM
All,
Thanks, Alan and sacc51, I recon you're on the money. It will be put to use this weekend, the fuel we are using has a slight yellow colour, it might show up on the aluminum.If I can work out how to post a photo I'll post a pic.
Meanwhile I'm experimenting with brown vinegar on the brass strip.
Regards
Ted

.RC.
6th August 2015, 08:10 PM
Can you put an artificial patina on the brass?

TED C
7th August 2015, 07:48 AM
R.C.
I'm going to attempt to do an artificial patina, however because I have attached the brass strip to the aluminum there is a concern that what may be good for the brass may not be good for the aluminum.
Regards
Ted