PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw advice needed.

BlackbuttWA
6th August 2015, 02:59 PM
G'day,

I need some new tyres for my old bandsaw (meat saw).
I am getting some flat rubber which I will cut to length & glue on.
What glue do you all recommend to glue the neoprene rubber to the metal rims..?

I had thought about using contact adhesive. Any other suggestions PLEASE ?

Col

artful bodger
6th August 2015, 06:42 PM
Hi. If it's just a meat saw then I would imagine contact adhesive would be the way to go too.
If it were a really good machine of considerable value I reckon having the rubber vulcanised on would be the best (and dearest) bet.

Paul39
7th August 2015, 05:34 AM
Have a read here about using duct tape for tires:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=duct+tape+for+bandsaw+wheel+tires

chuck1
7th August 2015, 07:36 AM
My mate bought a bandsaw and we 're did the wheels. He bought the neoprene Tyres off eBay they were not strips, soaked them in hot water and stretched them on
no glue required.
My mate read an article about gluing strips on and it seemed to not last very long which I think would be annoying
Also with gluing make sure you have nice neat joins. And make sure the glue isn't lumpy.
I love contact adhesive looks like condensed milk.

dai sensei
7th August 2015, 10:15 AM
Gluing strips on will work, but I have found it is just a matter of time before one of the teeth catch on the join, ripping them off.

There is a wide range of proper sized tyres, do none fit yours? If so, you could also try car/bike tubes

BlackbuttWA
8th August 2015, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the replies & advice guys.
The top wheel rubber is worn away for half the circumference & the bottom wheel has no rubber left at all.
What rubber is left on the top wheel looks a lot like inner tube to me.

Found some flat neoprene rubber at Clarke's Rubbber locally, it's 1.5mm x 25mm. I bought 3m to cover both wheels for under $9.

I already have the contact glue so will try to get to it over the w/e.

Cheers
Col