View Full Version : Japanese ? Woodturner

Oldgreybeard
7th August 2015, 11:34 AM
Another video worth watching
https://vimeo.com/79369173
Bob

pommyphil
7th August 2015, 06:00 PM
Interesting tools, more than one way to skin a cat.

Kidbee
7th August 2015, 06:35 PM
Wonderful. Wish I could paint like that.

Luke Maddux
7th August 2015, 11:29 PM
The most incredible part is the lack of a tool rest. I've always been fascinated by how different the Japanese approach to achieving the same woodworking goal is to the western approach. This is no exception.

Really impressive. Thanks for sharing!

Luke Maddux
7th August 2015, 11:31 PM
I watched it again... I now realize that the tool rest is not only present, but giant!

Still cool...

Dalboy
8th August 2015, 12:43 AM
Absolutely fantastic. And the great effect from just a few strokes of the brush.

Having said that I do use one of his tools in my shed, yes you guessed it the club hammer:rotfl:

CAG
9th August 2015, 05:46 PM
Exquisite.

No joke, I feel my heart rate and blood pressure have slowed/lowered whilst watching this and a sense of calmness come over me. It has left me gobsmacked at how effortlessly he made everything look. And what a wonderul place to have your lathe located!

Could anyone please translate the Japanese on the bottom of the work and at the end of the video? I would like to know what it says.

One of my favourite forum posts of all time.

Craig

Christos
14th August 2015, 05:46 PM
Lovely work by this craftsman.

The most incredible part is the lack of a tool rest.....

There is a tool rest. I remember seeing a news article on one of those morning programs from the US and it was explained. Lets see how much I remember and hopefully I do not make a mess out of explaining. My understanding is that the cuts are more like undercutting. When removing wood you don't watch the tool as it is not in your eye line, you observe from the top of the piece what shape you create. I think most of the turning tools have a hook on them.

Would be nice to have one of our Japanese traditional turners explain it better.

Des.K.
15th August 2015, 11:00 AM
Exquisite.

Could anyone please translate the Japanese on the bottom of the work and at the end of the video? I would like to know what it says.

Craig

The characters on the bottom are Yasuo (靖男). This is the craftsman's name. Tetotetote is a bit of a play on words with hand-crafted items, and is a website put up by Sendai (the capital of Miyagi Prefecture in the northern part of Japan's main island, and one of the areas badly affected by the earthquake and tsunami a few years back) to highlight the crafts of the area.

The page for the kokeshi dolls is here (http://en.tetotetote-sendai.jp/kokeshi/styles.html), and the craftsman's name is Yasuo Okazaki. His is the naruko kokeshi, and it squeaks as the head turns. The website is in both Japanese and English.

Fascinating work.

Regards
Des

fletty
15th August 2015, 12:42 PM
Exquisite.

No joke, I feel my heart rate and blood pressure have slowed/lowered whilst watching this and a sense of calmness come over me. It has left me gobsmacked at how effortlessly he made everything look. And what a wonderul place to have your lathe located!

One of my favourite forum posts of all time.

Craig

Very ditto!
fletty

Fuzzie
15th August 2015, 04:13 PM
I was in Japan last year and stumbled across a woodturner while idly wandering near the Yudanaka train station, waiting for our train. Inside this unassuming shop front was a turner seated at a lathe thingy that was fully speed controlled by his feet under the platform. He used a moveable tool rest positioned wherever he wanted on the table in front of the chuck and I think his tools were very very sharp, although I didn't note any obvious sharpening station. It was all very quiet and he made turning look deceptively easy and tranquil, not at all how I've found it so far!