PDA

View Full Version : Brushbox or concrete....

Faulko
9th August 2015, 04:36 PM
My neighbour gifted me some chunks...thinks it is brushbox.... Very old. Lucky to get 5 passes of gouge before back to grinder for a sharpen. will post more pics ad it unfolds. Thoughts on wood type welcome...I have never turned brushbox so can't confirm. Except it is Hard!

Pat
9th August 2015, 06:09 PM
In my experience, concrete is softer!

Faulko
9th August 2015, 06:59 PM
I'm starting to wonder if it's redgum...pat, so brushbox is tough in your experience?
Time call it a night.

woodtryer
9th August 2015, 08:27 PM
I've worked with brush box a bit and its hard on tools. It has a very high silica content which kills the edge on anything that touches it.

Have fun with the brush box.

Peter.

Acco
9th August 2015, 08:51 PM
Description of process sounds like brushbox. Better pics of grain and colour will confirm or go close to identification

artme
9th August 2015, 10:00 PM
By the looks of the second photo showing the grain and the tool killing nature of the timber I would say Brush box>>

Wood Collector
9th August 2015, 10:46 PM
Angle grinder and a diamond blade should shape the concrete easily. :D

Pat
10th August 2015, 05:09 AM
Faulko, BB is one of the few timbers where having Tungsten Carbide tooling is warranted.

Faulko
1st September 2015, 03:13 PM
Had another cracked at this on weekend. Tried a tungsten carbide tool, which was better. But, it was very difficult to obtain a 'straight' cut along the curve of the wood as I tried to complete the outside. Consistently ended up with more of a dodgy spiral type cut, and certainly an uneven surface. I resorted to lots of 80 grit Sanding. Less than ideal. Not sure what I was doing wrong....will post pic of current progress soon. Have to say this is curing me of any desire to work with brushbox again!

chuck1
1st September 2015, 05:12 PM
Have you tried honing gouge? After grinding? With a steep bevel. 35 to 40 degree

Dalboy
2nd September 2015, 02:17 AM
Had another cracked at this on weekend. Tried a tungsten carbide tool, which was better. But, it was very difficult to obtain a 'straight' cut along the curve of the wood as I tried to complete the outside. Consistently ended up with more of a dodgy spiral type cut, and certainly an uneven surface. I resorted to lots of 80 grit Sanding. Less than ideal. Not sure what I was doing wrong....will post pic of current progress soon. Have to say this is curing me of any desire to work with brushbox again!

I only use the carbide for roughing the blank to shape then revert to standard tools for the final cuts on hard to cut woods

Faulko
2nd September 2015, 09:23 AM
I do hone after sharpening on the grinder, but let's just day I am still developing my sharpening skills. Will pay more attention to bevel angle... Thanks

Have you tried honing gouge? After grinding? With a steep bevel. 35 to 40 degree

chuck1
6th September 2015, 08:46 AM
That's just broad guide, I was taught with hardwoods steeper bevels. I don't actually measure them. So I have hardwood and softwood grinds.
so I have a few doubles in gouges and skews. Some of the worst timbers I've turned are melunack a Malaysian timber, recycled tallowood from a bridge.
I have not found brushbox as bad.
I've worked with northern box and was glad I didn't need to turn it. I couldn't find B.H.P stamped in it. It had bevel snapping qualities!

Faulko
6th September 2015, 10:10 PM
Only got the foot to tidy up. After finishing outside, reversed onto chuck, with tailstock for support. Bowl gouge to true face, then TCT tool to get things going. After a third in to inside, changed to scrapers. Inside far better experience than outside. Realised that I didn't use tailstock for support when turning outside. It was a big heavy piece of wood, so I was stupid not using tailstock! Wondering if that was cause of wobbly cut whilst doing outside. Just over 30cm diameter.358814358815

Colin62
6th September 2015, 11:19 PM
I like the shape (and finish) you've got on that bowl. Looks very good.

Christos
9th September 2015, 02:04 AM
That is just a very appealing bowl.

Not sure why?