PDA

View Full Version : Two House Finials

dai sensei
9th August 2015, 06:37 PM
My cousin & husband asked me to turn 2 finials for their house. They sent me a detailed drawing of their old ones that had rotted away. I used some Kwilla timber I had left over from my bed I made a long time ago. I cut and thicknessed the 90mm square pieces I had down to 67mm square before turning. I cut them 920mm long which was the limit of my lathe and even this was with the tailstock half off the bed.

I took 3 hours to turn and finish them, which is good as far as I am concerned, but certainly not production turning standard. I had a lot of fun doing them, not exactly perfect, but unlikely any differences will be seen in their final position some 15-20 feet in the air when installed.

After turning I painted them with a spray primer/sealer to avoid any issues with bleeding if they get wet whilst in storage/transport. I'll leave the final sand and top coats to them.

Cheers

smiife
9th August 2015, 07:49 PM
Hi neil,
They look good mate, I think you should install them too!!:U

powderpost
9th August 2015, 07:55 PM
Some nice crisp turning there Neil......... :2tsup:

Jim

chuck1
9th August 2015, 08:13 PM
Wow that is a detailed drawing. Awesome job on the finials.
that's a good time to turn them in, having to reposition toolrest takes up time
I would be pleased to have them on my house

DaveTTC
9th August 2015, 08:20 PM
Neat Neil

I have to do a couple dor a job. With a bit of luck the boss will finance a new lathe for me to do future jobs on. Pity he may be renting out his shed in the near future and i have a spare corner in mine ;)

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

dai sensei
9th August 2015, 09:57 PM
....I think you should install them too!!:U

Nah not this little black duck. Not good with heights, nor would I trust my shonky knees, plus this is an old NSW homestead with the super high steep roof. They actually built a loft rumpus room and spare bedroom upstairs in the roof cavity it was that big.